• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Making Sausage

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Angus Cattle Shower

Reaction score
Well, I got all our deer cleaned, butchered and in the freezer. Dropped my moose off at the taxidermists. Now it's the time of year to make lots of sausage with Grandpa. (1 moose, 2 elk, and 4 deer) Usually we get pre mixed spices from the butcher shop in town and use Ma and Pa's (My great grandparents) old recipe. The only people in the family that have had the opportunity to get a look at that recipe card since they passed 20 years ago has been Grandpa, maybe this year I can get him to spill his secrets
8)

Is anyone willing to share a recipe or two?

Better save some steak and roast off the moose and elk. :D

Did you boys ever get off to college?

Tam's sausage recipe is in her head so I can't help you. I just shoot them and cut them up. :D

We've got plenty of roasts and steaks, and LOTS of trimmings too. I applied to be in school for this fall, but I was too late and the crop tech course was full so I stuck around the farm. Trying to convince grandpa to take some time off, I finally got him to come out to the swather at 9 and be gone by seven so I could cut canola all night instead of him putting in 12 hour days all spring and fall. I've been asked to do a whole bunch of custom spraying as soon as ours is done. I'm stickin around home for seeding then I'm going to school in the fall. I actually just got out of the shower, I'm heading to town to get my high school transcripts to sign up for school again.

What do you do with really tough roasts? We don't have a pressure cooker and they sure aren't tender. Got drawn for farmland moose just north of home. We were looking for a couple yearling bulls but all we seen in two weeks was this 48 incher. He dressed out at 635lbs on the rail the next day.

Angus Cattle Shower said:
What do you do with really tough roasts? We don't have a pressure cooker and they sure aren't tender. Got drawn for farmland moose just north of home. We were looking for a couple yearling bulls but all we seen in two weeks was this 48 incher. He dressed out at 635lbs on the rail the next day.

I guess if your roast are that tough you maybe should have ground them.

Have you tried marinading them in apple juice over night them putting a rub on them and slow cooking them in a smoker? Even the propane BBQ turn on low and maybe the lid propped open a inch.

I cooked it in the slow cooker, it was pretty chewy yet :lol:

We're looking at getting a Traeger (smoker/bbq). They should be nice on there. We did some side pork on one not too long ago, I'm sure my arteries are clogged and that they took probably a year off my life span, but dam, that was probably the best supper I've had in months.

Everything's better on a traeger. Have had one for two years their great, set it at 250 deg. they will come out tender and juicy. :D

Latest posts