• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Many Canadian ranchers now just 'hired hands'

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Subject: Many Canadian ranchers now just 'hired hands' - [Exactly what Tyson and Cargill intended.]

Many Canadian ranchers now just 'hired hands'

"We haven't been making any apologies for trying to survive and keep our industry alive,'' he said from Denver at the summer conference of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association.

"You might see R-CALF knocking on our door begging us to bring (their) cattle up here to kill them because these plants are so efficient,''

Canadian Press

Updated: Sun. Jul. 31 2005 1:58 PM ET

CALGARY - Canadian ranchers survived the mad cow crisis by becoming farm teams for the American beef interests -- a move that's not likely to change now that the border is open.

"There are very few operations that are working for themselves,'' said Mac McLean, whose southern Alberta feedlot operations are about 30 per cent smaller than two years ago.

"It's not that they went broke. It's just that they lost all their equity and have to custom feed for somebody else.''

Despite more than $7 billion in export losses over the last 26 months, the predicted collapse of the industry never came to pass. The federal and provincial governments provided $2 billion in aid programs to keep producers afloat after bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) was detected in an Alberta cow in May 2003.

Many operations, though, saw decades of equity evaporate while they sold animals at a loss. Most have become largely "hired hands'' by dramatically increasing the number of animals being fed for other interests, primarily Americans who bought cattle speculating they would make a profit when the border reopened.

Ron Axelson of the Alberta Cattle Feeders says few people were forced out by the banks, but he expects some will quietly leave the business soon after rebuilding a bit of equity.

"I think there will be those who chose to leave ... some who have spent 30 or 40 years in the business who'll say it's time to pass this on,'' said Axelson. "The rebuilding of the industry is an onerous task and I think there's some who will say `I'm not up to it'.''

About 8,000 cattle have trickled across the Canada-U.S. border since the ban on live animals was lifted July 14. That's a far cry from the roughly 4,000 a day that moved south before mad cow disease, but cattle broker Steve Primrose says it's a start.

"Every week should get easier as it goes on,'' said the Lethbridge man, who expects to be back at pre-BSE shipping levels within months.

Still, cattlemen don't expect to export the same number of live cattle they once did.

Canada has capacity to process 90,000 head of cattle a week and is on track to increase that by April 2006 to 105,000, a figure generally viewed as allowing the industry to be self-sufficient.

And there is the tantalizing idea that some U.S. producers -- possibly even the protectionist ranchers who kept the border closed -- might have to ship cattle to Canada for processing.

"You might see R-CALF knocking on our door begging us to bring (their) cattle up here to kill them because these plants are so efficient,'' said McLean, referring to the Montana-based group that persuaded a judge to delay the border opening.

Many in the industry are cautiously watching for the latest trade challenge from protectionist interests.

"There's not anybody who thinks our issues with the Americans are over -- far from it,'' said Axelson, adding he expects to see such issues as country of origin labelling and accusations of dumping subsidized meat.

Last week, the National Farmers Union called on the U.S. Department of Agriculture, alleging that Canadian cattle have been subsidized. But an industry spokesman says that challenge was expected.

"Of course there's been government support in the last two years, but all countries reserve the right to support agriculture producers in times of crisis,'' said John Masswohl, director of international relations with the Canadian Cattlemen's Association.

"We haven't been making any apologies for trying to survive and keep our industry alive,'' he said from Denver at the summer conference of the National Cattlemen's Beef Association.
........................PS Miss Tam is a hired hand :D :D damn lil witch aint worth minimum wage

redriver said:
They're talking about feedlot operations, not ranchers, you moron.

Wake up redrover,and study this ,packers have their way "every part of the canadian cattle industry"will be no more than packer employees.................good luck PS even a nit wit like you :D

So what does an asshole from Texas care anyway? Sounds like you're afraid of the competition, and believe me, Canadian ranchers are ready to compete. You should be out of business in, let's see, maybe two years. Hahahahaha, bye-bye moron! :D :D :D

Well Haymaker You badgered me for an apology when I once said "you and the rest of the band of idiots" and here you are saying things like :shock: :?

No we will let the fat lady do that,well fat butted ,maybe you know her?she calls herself canadian Tam,

........................PS Miss Tam is a hired hand damn lil witch aint worth minimum wage

I'm not going to go back and find all the names you have called me but I do have wonder just how long this is going to go on before some posters on here quit defending you by thinking you are funny. You are a joke but that doesn't make you funny, never has. And I know, anyone that doesn't find you funny and takes offence to your "good natured name calling" is just a "canuklehead" or "a big butted Canadian hussie" or "in the minority", or is "stupid" or a "liar" or "has no sence of humor", or "should lighten up", or is "bitter" or is "just plain sick" or "needs to forget the past". Have I forgotten anything Haymaker. :roll: :roll:

Some days I wish I was working for at least minimum wage as do most ranchers I would guess but happily our ranch is still run by the same people. We are still paying our own bills and looking after our own cattle, haying, fencing and doing book work just like we have for over 2 decades. So don't worry your [u]little brain[/u] about me Haymaker

Tam said:
Well Haymaker You badgered me for an apology when I once said "you and the rest of the band of idiots" and here you are saying things like :shock: :?

No we will let the fat lady do that,well fat butted ,maybe you know her?she calls herself canadian Tam,

........................PS Miss Tam is a hired hand damn lil witch aint worth minimum wage

I'm not going to go back and find all the names you have called me but I do have wonder just how long this is going to go on before some posters on here quit defending you by thinking you are funny. You are a joke but that doesn't make you funny, never has. And I know, anyone that doesn't find you funny and takes offence to your "good natured name

calling" is just a "canuklehead" or "a big butted Canadian hussie" or "in the minority", or is "stupid" or a "liar" or "has no sence of humor", or "should lighten up", or is "bitter" or is "just plain sick" or "needs to forget the past". Have I forgotten anything Haymaker. :roll: :roll:

Some days I wish I was working for at least minimum wage as do most ranchers I would guess but happily our ranch is still run by the same people. We are still paying our own bills and looking after our own cattle, haying, fencing and doing book work just like we have for over 2 decades. So don't worry your [u]little brain[/u] about me Haymaker

Just stating a few facts Miss Tam ,no sense getting your bowels in an uproar :D :D :D I can prove you are big around the middle and I still dont think you are worth minium wage,thats a lot of money to be giving to some one that sleeps till noon and gripes constantly :???: .........good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Tam said:

I'm not going to go back and find all the names you have called me but I do have wonder just how long this is going to go on before some posters on here quit defending you by thinking you are funny. You are a joke but that doesn't make you funny, never has. And I know, anyone that doesn't find you funny and takes offence to your "good natured name

calling" is just a "canuklehead" or "a big butted Canadian hussie" or "in the minority", or is "stupid" or a "liar" or "has no sence of humor", or "should lighten up", or is "bitter" or is "just plain sick" or "needs to forget the past". Have I forgotten anything Haymaker. :roll: :roll:

Just stating a few facts Miss Tam ,no sense getting your bowels in an uproar :D :D :D I can prove you are big around the middle and I still dont think you are worth minium wage,thats a lot of money to be giving to some one that sleeps till noon and gripes constantly :???: .........good luck

First of all you wouldn't know a fact if it bit you. You only know what Lieing Leo and his side kick Bullsh*t Bullard tell you and that is not fact based information. Second, you think You know what I look like do you. What is with the preoccupation having to do with my body size and how much time I spent in bed. Is your life so boring you have to have fantasies about a full figured Canadian woman lying around in bed all day. :roll: Please do me a favor STOP DAYDREAMING even though the picture is wrong, You are still creeping me out. To bad there wasn't a emoticon for disgusted this would be a good spot to use it.

Tam said:
HAY MAKER said:
Tam said:

First of all you wouldn't know a fact if it bit you. You only know what Lieing Leo and his side kick Bullsh*t Bullard tell you and that is not fact based information. Second, you think You know what I look like do you. What is with the preoccupation having to do with my body size and how much time I spent in bed. Is your life so boring you have to have fantasies about a full figured Canadian woman lying around in bed all day. :roll: Please do me a favor STOP DAYDREAMING even though the picture is wrong, You are still creeping me out. To bad there wasn't a emoticon for disgusted this would be a good spot to use it.

Miss tam I cant help it if you get mad at the truth,if I could give you a lil friendly advice,it would be quit griping so much ,and get rid of your inferiority complex,I was'nt the cause of your being over weight.Now you are starting to give me the creeps.I have been threatened by you so many times I have night mares about a lil ole fat canadian hussie sneaking up on me in my sleep :shock: ............good luck PS gotta head to the watering hole think about what I said Miss Tam it really is good advice :wink:

Hay Maker, you are an extreme example of the worst that america's mothers have ever had the misfortune to give birth to. You are an ass. You are a waste of everybody's time, just some lonely old arrogant piece of Texas crap. I can't imagine that you would have any friends except for the most unappealing white trash from your biggoted state.

Hayseed,

Whether or not you are a fat slob or a skinny runt doesn't shape any opinion I have of you and I don't know why someone elses looks would matter to you unless your some freak internet stalker.

You are an idiot because of what you post, not because of the way you look. Make sense?

If this will help you, I'm about 30 pounds overweight. Do you think that has any affect on whether or not I can support my position.

I don't care if anyone thinks I'm fat, I AM FAT! I'd rather be fat than stupid any day.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Hayseed,

Whether or not you are a fat slob or a skinny runt doesn't shape any opinion I have of you and I don't know why someone elses looks would matter to you unless your some freak internet stalker.

You are an idiot because of what you post, not because of the way you look. Make sense?

If this will help you, I'm about 30 pounds overweight. Do you think that has any affect on whether or not I can support my position.

I don't care if anyone thinks I'm fat, I AM FAT! I'd rather be fat than stupid any day.

~SH~

Even if I told him what I look like he wouldn't believe it. I would rather be me than to be like him a very lonely old man daydreaming about women from far off places.

Tam: "Even if I told him what I look like he wouldn't believe it."

Don't do it Tam! Let his imagination run wild.

Don't want Big Muddy to have to strap a "BIG IRON" on his hip to ward off some freaky Boarne Texas internet stalker.

~SH~

~SH~ said:
Tam: "Even if I told him what I look like he wouldn't believe it."

Don't do it Tam! Let his imagination run wild.

Don't want Big Muddy to have to strap a "BIG IRON" on his hip to ward off some freaky Boarne Texas internet stalker.

~SH~
Do you really think Haymaker would have the ambition and intelligents to become more than a creepy old man trying to be funny on Rancher.net do you? Now you have me worried :? :shock: :help: :wink: :lol2:

~SH~ said:
Hayseed,

So sh**you admitt being a stupid ,fat government employee? :D :D
I wondered how long it would be till you realized the truth,remember what I told you slowly but surely the truth will come out. You pathetic wanna be there aint one cattle man that will back your lieing butt,that's the purpose of the polls no one believes your lieing butt and no one believes the MNCBA is representing the cattle man.........good luck

Tam said:
~SH~ said:
Hayseed,

~SH~

Even if I told him what I look like he wouldn't believe it. I would rather be me than to be like him a very lonely old man daydreaming about women from far off places.

Let it go Miss Tam you are making yourself look foolish,and hardly something a man would day dream about.............good luck

HAY MAKER said:
~SH~ said:
Hayseed,

So sh**you admitt being a stupid ,fat government employee? :D :D
I wondered how long it would be till you realized the truth,remember what I told you slowly but surely the truth will come out. You pathetic wanna be there aint one cattle man that will back your lieing butt,that's the purpose of the polls no one believes your lieing butt and no one believes the MNCBA is representing the cattle man.........good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Tam said:
~SH~ said:
Hayseed,

~SH~

Let it go Miss Tam you are making yourself look foolish,and hardly something a man would day dream about.............good luck

I wish you would let it go Haymaker, but Who started this post by calling who a name. I think we all know who was making himself look creepy with his made up little PM :wink: And who has the preoccupation on butt sizes here. :nod: I'm with SH why does it matter what a poster looks like. :? If you don't like the responses you get about your sick name calling and fetish on body size, I would suggest you stop posting the crap. As it only proved how creepy you really are. :roll:

Like several of us have told you tam you are being consumed with your bitterness to the point where you are acting creepy,I dont really care if you are big around as you are tall,get over it be happy being a lil fat girl ,hell look at me Im long and tall big deal ,if I could change your height and weight I would .Only you can do that but its gonna take a lil work ,none of this getting up at noon BS...........good luck

I think Hay Maker needs a little help, no make that a LOT of help. His comments to Tam are very much out of line. Sure doesn't say much for his mentality.

Haymaker lecturing on stupidity, now that's funny!

Ahhh......I can't define captive supply but I have an opinion on it.

DUHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!

~SH~

Latest posts