• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

March 9 - 12, 2012

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Soapweed

Reaction score
Mydaughterandmysister600x800.jpg

My daughter and my sister
Thesetwoalwayshangtogether800x600.jpg

These two always hang together
Theyknowtheyaretheoddones800x600.jpg

The know they are the odd ones.
Babysittersatwork800x600.jpg

Baby sitters at work
Rocket800x600.jpg

Rocket
Archimedes800x600.jpg

Archimedes
General800x600.jpg

General
Scarlett800x600.jpg

Scarlett
Thefutureisintheirhands800x600.jpg

The future is in their hands.
Araresoaptreed800x600.jpg

A rare soaptree plant
Regularoldsoapweeds800x600.jpg

Regular old soapweeds
Cutelittlefeller800x600.jpg

Cute little feller
Gotmilk800x600.jpg

Got milk
Waitingforahandout800x600.jpg

Waiting for a handout
Welfarewagonwaitinginthewings800x600.jpg

Welfare wagon waiting in the wings
Missionaccomplished800x600.jpg

Mission accomplished

Nice pictures as always, Soapweed. You are always able to tell a story with your photos, but I have a hard time believing that those muck books are actually necessary. It doesn't appear you would ever have mud deep enough to need them.

soap from what i gather from reading your posts your an all angus man, how do you end up with red calves using angus bulls?

I am pretty sure he was running some Main cross bulls last year, besides he needs a little color in his herd.

eatbeef said:
soap from what i gather from reading your posts your an all angus man, how do you end up with red calves using angus bulls?

If you breed a red cow to a red bull, the outcome will always be a red calf. If you breed a registered black Angus cow to a registered black Angus bull (or the other way around), there is still a possibility of getting a red calf. This is how the registered Red Angus breed was first started. Even though we use black bulls on black cows, there is always a handful of red calves that pop up. Our cows have a little Gelbvieh and Hereford way back, and sometimes both red color and horns come into play. We just have to deal with it. :wink:

LazyWP said:
I am pretty sure he was running some Main cross bulls last year, besides he needs a little color in his herd.

Once was enough. I do like straight Angus. Even though I have on hand six pretty decent Hereford bulls, I'd feel like a bit of a hypocrite if I purposely turned them out with our cows. :)

Once was enough. I do like straight Angus. Even though I have on hand six pretty decent Hereford bulls, I'd feel like a bit of a hypocrite if I purposely turned them out with our cows.

I think I need to bring one of my Longhorn bulls over and drop off. You would really be bragging up you Herfs then. :p

Soapweed

Correct me if I am wrong but you are using commercial angus bulls? I can see the occaissonal red calf but not horns with registered black angus.

There is no way a purebred angus bull would throw a red calf. I use simmental/angus cross bulls and only buy color tested homozygous black bulls and run on red cows and never end up with red calf. Getting red calves out of "purebred angus bulls" is how the angus breed ending up with muscle and frame. :D

From Wikipedia:

Although the black was more fashionable the recessive red gene still produced some red animals.[1] From the founding of the Aberdeen Angus herd book in 1862 red and black animals have been registered without distinction, and this is the case in most of the world. The American Aberdeen Angus Herdbook stopped registering red calves from 1917, leading to reds becoming very uncommon in the American population.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So apparently Wikipedia and Soap are correct.

From Wikipedia:

Although the black was more fashionable the recessive red gene still produced some red animals.[1] From the founding of the Aberdeen Angus herd book in 1862 red and black animals have been registered without distinction, and this is the case in most of the world. The American Aberdeen Angus Herdbook stopped registering red calves from 1917, leading to reds becoming very uncommon in the American population.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So this was in 1862. If the Black angus has been bred purebred black angus since then the chance of a red calf would be absolutly almost impossible.

eatbeef wrote:
There is no way a purebred angus bull would throw a red calf.

Can you 100% without a doubt guarantee me that???

Yes i can, because if you color test bulls, which is done in simmental, gelbvieh, and crossbreeding, and find out if the bull is homozygous black or heterozygous black it can be 100% guaranteed. Same way with horns, they can be homozygous polled or heterozyous polled.

I was told back when I first got into the cows that Ankonian Cornhusker was a red carrier. Using him on black baldy cows would show up a percentage of red baldy calves. :???:

I'm sure old Kola wouldn't have anything funky going on in HER bulls. :roll:

I am not bias to any breed or color, i dont think i have any friends that run the same breeds, most all use crossbreeding for hybrid vigor and heterosis. I just think that the angus breed is bunch of politics. Always find it funny when the guys that run all black angus and want nothing but black end up with reds. Just like i have a nieghbor that has been purebred black angus for years and still end up with white bellies and udders or an occasional red and they wont keep a damn one of them becasue they aren't black, even though they are probably some of the best heifers. I run a three way cross between polled hereford, angus, simmental, usually using polled hereford bulls on angus cows and then run simangus bulls on my f1 crosses.

I was told back when I first got into the cows that Ankonian Cornhusker was a red carrier. Using him on black baldy cows would show up a percentage of red baldy calves.

I'm sure old Kola wouldn't have anything funky going on in HER bulls.

I think there is alot of funny business in the angus breed, i was at a simmental/angus bull sale and know of a purebred angus breeder that purchased a simangus bull. Things like that the just make me shake my head a little and laugh.

eatbeef said:
I am not bias to any breed or color, i dont think i have any friends that run the same breeds, most all use crossbreeding for hybrid vigor and heterosis. I just think that the angus breed is bunch of politics. Always find it funny when the guys that run all black angus and want nothing but black end up with reds. Just like i have a nieghbor that has been purebred black angus for years and still end up with white bellies and udders or an occasional red and they wont keep a damn one of them becasue they aren't black, even though they are probably some of the best heifers. I run a three way cross between polled hereford, angus, simmental, usually using polled hereford bulls on angus cows and then run simangus bulls on my f1 crosses.

We like BLACK ANGUS and bought straight black angus bulls.
We used a son of Kadence Nitro and got white bellies, white feet,
white up the tip of their tail. Those Kandence cattle got real popular
real fast..........don't hear anything about them anymore........

Anyway, we kept a couple of those heifers with white on them and
with a bit of age, they got bags like a milk cow. Hummmm...... :p

Except for that, we never got odd white on our cattle, nor did we get
red ones. We bred black from 1979 on. Personally, I like the red calves
and have you noticed, when you get a red calf out of a black baldy
and a black angus bull, it's generally a poppin' good calf?

eatbeef said:
From Wikipedia:

So this was in 1862. If the Black angus has been bred purebred black angus since then the chance of a red calf would be absolutly almost impossible.

The way I read that was they (being the American Aberdeen Angus Herdbook.... are there more?) quit registering red calves in 1917. Between 1862 and 1917 both were registered.

Latest posts