• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

McDonald's wants "sustainable beef"

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Traveler

Reaction score
:???: .............and other "highlights".

http://www.agrimarketing.com/s/100570

What exactly is "Sustainable" beef? No one really knows..............................

http://beefmagazine.com/blog/what-sustainable-beef

I think some want it to mean grass fed. But I got news for them, there ain't enough pasture land in the U.S. to graze the cattle we have now.

I think that the grass fed, "all natural burger" , from Australia, at Hardees and Carl Junior's tastes like it came off of an aging, starving camel.

It had slipped my mind that Robert Gibbs had gone to work at McDonald's. That may explain a lot.

http://money.cnn.com/2015/06/09/news/companies/mcdonalds-gibbs-white-house-press-secretary/index.html

I sit as a member of the Canadian Roundtable for Sustainable Beef (CRSB) as well the organization I belong to is a member of the Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef(GRSB).
The first I heard about the CRSB was from a Canadian Cattleman's member that sits on them both. At first he was leery of The Roundtables and didn't think he wanted to be sitting with MacDonald's and WWF. He is a rancher and feedlot operator and uses implants in his lot figuring it would cost him$70/Hd not to use them. MacDonald's said if that is what it took to be sustainable that was OK with them. WWF said if it meant more meat off fewer animals so less of a foot print on the ground it was OK with them.
That's maybe not quite my idea of "Sustainable" but from what I have learned attending the annual meeting Canada's "Quality Starts Here/Verified Beef Production and the USA Beef Quality Assurance programs are the basis for what they are looking for with maybe another layer leaning towards the environment.
At this time that is how I see it. MacDonald's has done some workshops and had participating herds working on the protocols and turned the results over to CRSB.

Thanks for the common sense, accurate response, Big Muddy. I've been involved in some of the meetings re. Sustainability with McD and others, too, and I and many others made the point that a large part of 'sustainability' is demonstrated by the fact there are many multi-generation ranches who are at the least successful enough to have many family members employed after many generations spanning well over 100 years on the same land. The fact that the people eating beef have thrived over literally thousands of years shows the sustainability of beef in the diet could well be added to the mix, imo.

The downside I see to this interest in sustainability is that the groups who like to stir up trouble by insisting their way is the only way to conduct the cattle business are using it as yet another wedge in attempts to move the beef industry backwards.

mrj

McDonald's must assume, or at least hope, that this is going to help with their declining market share. Some of their other decisions have had the opposite effect. One wonders what they have in store for chicken, eggs, fish, and pork?

I'm sure most of us can't wait to jump through some hoops for McDonalds. Especially since it will raise the input costs and we'll get no benefits to do something that no one knows how to explain what it is..................

Wonder if all the imported trim will be "Sustainable"?

Most of what and how we raise cattle already is"Sustainable" just we can't "Verify" it, Finding a way to document what we for the most part already do is the issue.

I think if McDonald's was to rebound, it would go back to cooking it's fries in beef tallow, and bring back a LARGE drink, and maybe stop listening to people that aren't going to eat there anyway. What we see here is all well and fine, but I wonder if the regular McDonald's type clientele, sitting in drive-thru, truly want to pay extra for some feel-good sustainability smugness. I don't see it as being in line with this type of cheap food. Maybe I'll be proven wrong. Will have to see what sales do if it's implemented.

Remember that McDonalds and others are merely catering to consumer/political image, demand and sentiment. The industry will continue to move in that direction and it will not be as painful as it may seem.

They mix in heart lungs liver kidney tongue and stomach into ground beef , add a little sugar to the patties and the buns and fools pay good money for that . I think they can sustain that activity for as long as the government lets them get away with lying and cheating like that.

Should'nt charges of such illegal actions as that come with some sort of proof ??????

mrj

BTW, we needed a very quick lunch in Rapid City yesterday, so ate beef burgers at Wendy's and they were very good, considering the meat wasn't browned like we do at home.

mrj

PS. looking this thread over again, I just remembered that years ago The Mother Earth News and similar magazines were telling people that they should include those very organs into their superior home ground, home raise ground beef! I know they may be very wholesome and nutritious, but not sure I'd do it.

mrj

A Wendy's ad just for you mrj. :D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qzpkF7A0uII

mrj said:
Should'nt charges of such illegal actions as that come with some sort of proof ??????
PS. looking this thread over again, I just remembered that years ago The Mother Earth News and similar magazines were telling people that they should include those very organs into their superior home ground, home raise ground beef! I know they may be very wholesome and nutritious, but not sure I'd do it.

mrj

Proof of the pudding is in the eating .It is all nutritious however you look at it but some people don't like the thought of lungs going in or heart. They admit they do it but it would take me a week of Sundays to find that stuff again. I'd rather spend the time cutting up and grinding my own and know exactly whats in them

Latest posts