• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

McNabs?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

theHiredMansWife

Reaction score
I actually tripped over this site trying to hunt up info on McNabs (someone has a post down below that Google spit up). I used to visit this site now and again a few years ago, but the forums are new since then! :)

Anyway, we had just gotten a three or four month old McNab pup from the "local" shelter. They thought she was a BC cross, but I knew exactly what she was. Hot dog! Our BC needs a pup to train so I brought her home.
After less than a month the two of them were turning into quite a pair. Baxter (the BC) works quiet and deliberately. Jessie was more agressive and of course full of puppy-exuburance. But between the two of them, they were the perfect pair.
Then she got hit by a pickup on Sunday. :cry:

I'm considering going the pound route, again. But I'm also trying to track down some breeders. Which seems to be next to impossible!

I'm in southern Nebraska, but we have friends scattered all over SD, ND, WY, CO and NE that could easily provide the visit-excuse so we could also go check out pups...

Anyone have some names/suggestions?

Any help appreciated!

We got a McNab pup a few years ago from a man in Billings, Mt. and there is a breeder by Lewistown, too, I do believe. Or perhaps it is Wilsall. I could find out for you if you wish.

I just remembered, the dog we got in Billngs was advertised as a McNab, but when we went to pick her up we found out she was 3/4 McNab and 1/4 Border Collie. We had already paid for her, and we really liked her, so we took her. We intended to spay her anyway, so it wasn't that big a deal.

I'm sure the other breeder has MCNAB's not crosses.

i saw some mcnab pups for sale on a website we use but i don't remember where they were at but the website is
cowdognews.com
but we'll have some kelpie pups in a day or two that will do the same thing for you
i have a couple of male kelpies here that are about the same as the pair of dogs that you were talking about one makes things happen and the other makes shure they are going in the right direction

theHiredMansWife said:
"North central western SD" eh? ;)

We lived on a buffalo ranch on Standing Rock for a few years a couple of years back...

We are not quite that far east or north. Between Sturgis and Faith, about half way as the crow flies, if there were any crows to fly around here! :)

Are you close to any of them "Ranch Ropers" that come up and rope with us at Rapid, once in awhile?

there is a Mcnab breeder in the willsall area. actually there are 2 i gotten pups from both of them ill will see if i can find numbers/adresses

What are you people calling McNabs?
What do you think they are?

I knew Ray back in the late 50' early 60's - I have letters from where we talked about what he was breeding -

Years ago (70's) I got into a disagrement with his daughter that was telling people what her father had been breeding - I was called names until I pulled out the Letters - Been that long but I'll go looking for them.

theHiredMansWife said:
I'm clear down in the corner by Kansas and Colorado at the moment. No one down here goes to Rapid for anything but BH vacation trips. lol

Though my husband's clan is all from around Wall and Hermosa. :)[/quote

I would bet I know them then! Poor people, having to claim knowing me! :cry:

you might be right about kelpies being too aggressive but there are alot of them out there that are not to bad we are breeding them to have alot of work to them so we can sell them to the trial going folks but i try to get them all out on stock before i ship them out and the ones that are tough i keep here at the ranch to use as i need aggressive tough dogs to get the work done today as we stay busy
as for the mcnabs the ones i worked around in nevada and wyoming were double tough and had alot of bite to them also
i think there right though all a mcnab is is a slick haired collie that was bred to work cattle insted of sheep there's a good book about there history i think it's called the collies of mendicinio

Latest posts