• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MCOOL?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Bull Burger

Reaction score
If the American consumer starts believing R-CALF's BSE propaganda, will they pursue other options?

Argentine Beef

One the food trends mentioned in Food & Wine magazine is Argentinean beef, loved by many "hot" restaurants, such as Ciudad in Los Angeles, Rattlesnake Club in Detroit and Chimichurri in New York City. Why Argentine beef? First, it has less cholesterol and fat than American beef; a four-ounce portion of USDA choice beef tenderloin has 10.8 grams of saturated fat, 80 milligrams of cholesterol and 328 calories, compared with 2.5 grams of saturated fat, 70 milligrams of cholesterol and 140 calories for the same cut of Argentine beef. Second, Argentine cattle are fed on protein-rich grasses, rather than the high-carbohydrate grains given to American cattle; they are not penned up in feedlots their last weeks of life, as are American cattle, nor are they fed the growth hormones or antibiotics given to American cattle. Finally, Argentine beef is extremely tender and has a delicious beefy flavor.

However, Argentine cattle tend to be somewhat smaller than American cattle, and the cuts from the animals are a bit smaller and less uniform. Cuts of Argentine beef sold in the United States are boneless, designed primarily for steaks, such as rib-eye (the most popular cut in Argentina), sirloin, New York strip and filet mignon.

Argentineans generally prefer their steaks smaller and more well done than do Americans, so to keep them tender the new chefs suggest cooking Argentine steaks at lower temperatures.

Note

If you would like to order or find out more about Argentine beef, contact Silvina DiBella of the Argentine Meat Company Ltd., located at 3345 Newport Blvd., Suite #214, Newport Beach, CA 92663, telephone number (949) 675-8593. If you can't wait to taste this awesome beef, visit Ciudad at 445 S. Figueroa Street in Los Angeles (telephone: [213] 486-5171) and order their terrific Argentine rib-eye stuffed with jalapeños and whole garlic cloves, which is all the rage!

OMG, have you ever actually eaten one? If you like tastless and dry, thats the stuff.
Gimme a Canadian 3-5 yr old grass fat dry cow any day. :D :D

Silver said:
OMG, have you ever actually eaten one? If you like tastless and dry, thats the stuff.

Silver,

No I haven't, but that's not the point. I was in Bismarck, ND a couple years ago and their fancy motel was advertising "authentic South American steak" (on their interstate billboard), trying to attract customers. It won't take long for customers to figure out "Maple Leaf Tender" is worth more than "HAYMAKER truck stop certified", if you know what I mean.

BB

Bull Burger said:
Silver said:

Silver,

No I haven't, but that's not the point. I was in Bismarck, ND a couple years ago and their fancy motel was advertising "authentic South American steak" (on their interstate billboard), trying to attract customers. It won't take long for customers to figure out "Maple Leaf Tender" is worth more than "HAYMAKER truck stop certified", if you know what I mean.

BB

Love it or hate it this is a huge opportunity for a go-getter. Around here there's more and more news about grass fed in the papers and radio. Just last week on a local station a area doctor was recommending grass fed for patients. The few producers that are starting to raise them that way, most of the time with a smaller framed critter, are receiving up to 30% over top retail price for what they raise, with processing included.
I don't think it has as much to do with being Argentine beef as with being grassfed. Yah got to love this business, opportunity knocking and there'll still be bitchers. Some people were born to be serfs I guess. :wink:

Latest posts