• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Meanwhile.....the NCBA continues it's puppetry!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
The National Cattleman's Beef Association is urging "speed and accuracy" from USDA as they re-evaluate a sample from a possible BSE cow. "It is important that we look at this from a very factual and science based process," said Jay Truitt. "There is a scientific answer that can be gained here in the next few days."

The Public Affairs spokesman NCBA believes that others will use this development to raise questions about the testing protocol and the USDA screening system for BSE. He refers to this as "unfortunate." He does not believe, however, that this latest development will impact efforts to reopen foreign markets to US beef. This was a belief shared by Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns during a late Friday press briefing.

Truitt admitted that the questions this development raises about what test is the best and whether a sample is really negative will add a measure of uncertainty to the BSE issue. "Our markets do not like uncertainty, we like answers that are absolute," he told Brownfield. Truitt emphasized that consumers are not uncertain about the safety of beef, as evidenced by the strong consumer demand for the product.

Is this one of the same cows that had the false positive last fall? If so, than I would say, "so much for our sound science"

On the other hand: with the court case only a month away, maybe this is an attempt to convince us that the US and Canada are in the same fix as far as having BSE in our herds.

Or am I seeing the blur of Black Helicopters on the horizon?

In the atmosphere where I was brought up, I always believed that you could trust most people. I hate to admit it, but now I sometimes have my doubts.

COULD this be a MEXICAN COW??????????????????? TRUIT,The Public Affairs spokesman NCBA believes that others will use this development to raise questions about the testing protocol and the USDA screening system for BSE. He refers to this as "unfortunate."

reader (the Second) said:
Clarence said:
I intended my last post to be on the suspect cow thread. Oh well.

If I follow the USDA's release correctly, this is the downer cow (announed by Canada to be Texas with US ear tags) that news came out about on November 22. It was tested twice. I believe that the first test must have been "inconclusive." A second test a day later came out "negative". My understanding was that the USDA was on the verge of announcing this as a BSE case, complete with the Texas Ag Dept website ready to go, but were "fortunate" that the second test was negative.

If you will remember, Consumers Union asked for a WB test to be run, citing the issues with the IHC as being based on interpretation, and the fact that the advanced labs had moved to WB. The USDA Inspector General (I believe) ordered that the test results be further investigated and this third WB test came out "weakly positive."

I think NOW that the USDA is following a good course, having done the WB and now sending it to the reference lab at Weybridge. I don't know but suspect that the UK labs are more advanced that the USDA's single testing facility and that all inconclusive downer cow tiisues should be sent to the UK if for no other reason than to show the world that an unbiased facility finds the US free of BSE...

The first tests done on these cows were Bio-Rads and were known to be producers of false positives. There was much controversy when the USDA approved them at first, some said the USDA would use the "numbing" effect to ready the public for a positive by turning out all these false positives. With the "Western Blot" there are no false positives although I am willing to bet this one will be.

I wish they had sent samples to Japan. They have the most sophisticated BSE testing lab in the world.

reader (the Second) said:
Mike - what does it mean "I'm willing to bet that this one will be (a false positive WB)"?

I mean it will turn the whole USDA testing system into a joke if it comes back as a true positive, everyone will question their integrity. Too much money riding here.
If it comes back negative it will be the first WB to EVER have a false positive, and more cattle have been tested with the WB than any other method including IHC.
Someone will make sure this is a negative.

I don't think so this time, Mike. I think this one is part of the defense of USDA to get the border back open to Canadian cattle and their story will have something to do with "Hey, it's here, we found it, Canadian cattle are already in the system, look we're finding them just like Canada, look how great we are, let's trade, with Canada and hopefully Japan, rather than Canada beating us to the punch with their already in place traceback.
I'm so irritated at what looks like such a manipulative process to suit them at whatever stage of the chess game we happen to be in at any given time and you can bet that however the test comes back, it's inaccurate, it's just part of the smoke show that they need in order to satisfy their agenda. I feel sorry for all of us, to have such arrogant, incompetant, moronic idiots dictating what happens to all of us.
This is all happening absolutly with the pending border trial comeing up and I don't know for sure how they plan to play it out but it so has nothing to do with science, food safety, gold standards or anything that it should be about.
I feel like just smacking all of them.
Have a good day and good luck to all of you on how USDA handles this from here. Thanks for reading from Canada.

Clarence said:
Is this one of the same cows that had the false positive last fall? If so, than I would say, "so much for our sound science"

On the other hand: with the court case only a month away, maybe this is an attempt to convince us that the US and Canada are in the same fix as far as having BSE in our herds.

Or am I seeing the blur of Black Helicopters on the horizon?

In the atmosphere where I was brought up, I always believed that you could trust most people. I hate to admit it, but now I sometimes have my doubts.

Clarence- If you're seeing black helicopters, there must be a lot of them flying around...This morning I was in town and this situation is the talk of the town- and everyone was thinking the same thing you are....Sad day when government agencies get to the point they have lost trust by the people they represent...... :cry:

What does that mean, black helicopters. What are you referring to when you say that. Sorry for not keeping up and thanks in advance. Have a good day all!

whiteface said:
What does that mean, black helicopters. What are you referring to when you say that. Sorry for not keeping up and thanks in advance. Have a good day all!

whiteface- black helicopters are government conspiracies...Goes back to the New World Order and One World Order beliefs of a worldwide government watching over and controlling us :???: :???:

Maple Leaf Angus said:
PORKER said:
I'll wonder if it had a M branded on it.This would really hurt the Texas Cattlefeeder.

Porker, R U nervous or something? Have a good weekend.

What's the saying? "Nervous as a long tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs". :wink:

whiteface- black helicopters are government conspiracies...Goes back to the New World Order and One World Order beliefs of a worldwide government watching over and controlling us

OT, it used to be that you believed that it was a Canadian conspiracy to take over your beef market, now it's your own government. Funny how things change in certain situations. Tell me OT, how is your beloved R-calf goin to play this now?

"our system is not perfect, no more imports"

"please Japan, let us export", "we have the safeguards in place"

"we'll take the beef from Canada, add value and then ship it to you Japan, they have the same safeguards in place"

Or, what you've been preaching all along. "a country with BSE, even one case, should not be trading with any other country, so as not to contaminate their own domestic herd"

Tell us OT, what do you believe now, do you trust the USDA or not?

Valium,. wish I had some, I'd take it just to deal with the backlash of the American system not being honest enough to deal with this situation until it suited them best.

The Public Affairs spokesman NCBA believes that others will use this development to raise questions about the testing protocol and the USDA screening system for BSE. He refers to this as "unfortunate." He does not believe, however, that this latest development will impact efforts to reopen foreign markets to US beef. This was a belief shared by Secretary of Agriculture Mike Johanns during a late Friday press briefing.

Really, will they now question the tests that have been done in the past and pass judgement.

I used to have a girlfriend that tried to get away with lying, she eventually got caught. Never trusted her again. I wonder if others will trust the USDA , or Americans again?

Latest posts