• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Microwave colostrum?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

pups and bucks said:
This may have been hashed out here before,but can you microwave colostrum milk without losing any of it's finer qualities :?:

I never did and ,"They" say you shouldn't pups and bucks as you destroy immunoglobulins in the colostrum . It is best to set the container in a sink full of warm water and thaw naturally. Even if you set your microwave on defrost you cannot insure that it will distribute the heat evenly .

However there have been studies and they show there really is no difference or the difference in quality is so minute that it is redundant .

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/3668051
Abstract

Use of a microwave oven to thaw frozen colostrum was evaluated. Colostrum was collected from nine cows, four of which were immunized to produce specific colostral antibodies. Colostrum from each cow was frozen, subsequently thawed, and pooled. One-liter aliquots of the pooled colostrum were frozen and assigned randomly to three thawing treatments. Colostrum was thawed using one of three regimens: 10 min in a microwave oven at full power (650 W), 17 min in a microwave oven at half power (325 W), and 25 min in 45 degrees C water. Colostrum thawed in the microwave oven was slightly coagulated and had lower volume and total protein content than colostrum thawed in water. Casein and pH were not different among treatments. Both concentration and total content of immunoglobulin A were higher in the control than in microwave treatments. Neither amount nor concentration of immunoglobulin G and immunoglobulin M were different among treatments. Immunological activity, measured by a hemolytic test, was lower for microwave treatments than the control but did not differ between microwave treatments. Frozen colostrum thawed in a microwave oven should provide a reasonable source of colostrum when fresh high quality colostrum is not available.

much appreciated hillsdown; I've always avoided 'nuking' colostrum, and I think I'll always continue to do so...but at least I have a better mental-picture of what was 'bugging me' about it, all along. I still prefer to thaw-out frozen colustrum in a hot-bath of water.

thanks for the input hillsdown.............my theory is that if I can revive them they can get the good stuff from mom...........nothing like colostrum to get them rolling...........

Latest posts