• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Montan's up to date ID

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Say Oldtimer you tout Montanas brand system as being so great .
Are the brands on line so owners can be looked up?

They are all on the state computer system- which is a controlled access site.....If you need to get info on one, you can call Helena or a local District office and get it....

Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

They are all on the state computer system- which is a controlled access site.....If you need to get info on one, you can call Helena or a local District office and get it....

Why is it such a big secret that they have to control Access to the Brand Registery? In Sask you can go on line and type in the brand and with seconds the owners name pops up or you can put the guys name in and his brand pops up no big deal.

Tam said:
Oldtimer said:
Big Muddy rancher said:

Why is it such a big secret that they have to control Access to the Brand Registery? In Sask you can go on line and type in the brand and with seconds the owners name pops up or you can put the guys name in and his brand pops up no big deal.

Call Helena and ask them--it could be because Montana's system also contains all the brand lien info, which maybe not every cattleman wants readily available to the world....I'm not sure...
The brand ownership is readily available with a call to Helena or to a District Inspector...
Whats your interest Tam- You have more cows sneaking across the border? I think I have both a Daniels and Sheridan county 2000 rerecord book-What brand you have in your herd now? I'll send Matt up- he needs a roadtrip...

For one thing I don't think they have the money and time to put it online. The other is they could not sell you the brand books. You can buy a brand book from them if you want.

rancher said:
For one thing I don't think they have the money and time to put it online. The other is they could not sell you the brand books. You can buy a brand book from them if you want.

We had to put our own book together this year...Tried to get the cowbelles (almost nonexistent anymore), or 4-H kids to do a statewide book again, or regional books, for moneymaking project , but nobody would.....I suggested it would be a good project for our Montana Beef Council-be good advertising- that went over like a fart in church..One of the local inspectors finally got a couple of sponsors (stockyards and beer distributors) and put out a 7 county book-Sold it for $50....

Problem anymore tho- and especially last few years when you guys was all droughted out- was that many cattle from outside the 7 county area moved in- had to call Helena on several strays that I didn't know the brand on......

Oldtimer said:
rancher said:

We had to put our own book together this year...Tried to get the cowbelles (almost nonexistent anymore), or 4-H kids to do a statewide book again, or regional books, for moneymaking project , but nobody would.....I suggested it would be a good project for our Montana Beef Council-be good advertising- that went over like a fart in church..One of the local inspectors finally got a couple of sponsors (stockyards and beer distributors) and put out a 7 county book-Sold it for $50....

Problem anymore tho- and especially last few years when you guys was all droughted out- was that many cattle from outside the 7 county area moved in- had to call Helena on several strays that I didn't know the brand on......

Well at least yall have brand inspectors and some enforcement,We got brand laws,estray laws,etc. and no enforcement,brand inspectors here work for the southwestern cattle raisers assc. they work thefts and strays when you can find them,and of course you have to be a member. Sheriff wont even come out,at least that's been my experience,all they want is the registering brand fee,then you are on your own.............good luckPS maybe when we get M ID it will help some.

Haymaker, here you had better get an inspection before you even think about crossing a county line. If you go out of state without one, you had better look good in stripes. They do a good job here inforcing the brand laws which is good.

Murgen said:
I'll send Matt up- he needs a roadtrip

I am assuming this is your son OT? Lots of time on his hands? Can't get onto the cumputer eh?

Nah- He's the District Brand Inspector- Tam might need him to check out her cows- if she has US strays :wink: ........

Well at least yall have brand inspectors and some enforcement,We got brand laws,estray laws,etc. and no enforcement,brand inspectors here work for the southwestern cattle raisers assc. they work thefts and strays when you can find them,and of course you have to be a member. Sheriff wont even come out,at least that's been my experience,all they want is the registering brand fee,then you are on your own.............good luckPS maybe when we get M ID it will help some.

Haymaker, I'm sure they will soon have many more brand inspectors in Texas, they sure wouldn't want to lose track of those texas cows! They wouldn't know who to attribute those positive results to, and which borders to close! :!: :!: :!:

Oldtimer said:
Tam said:
Oldtimer said:

Call Helena and ask them--it could be because Montana's system also contains all the brand lien info, which maybe not every cattleman wants readily available to the world....I'm not sure...
The brand ownership is readily available with a call to Helena or to a District Inspector...
Whats your interest Tam- You have more cows sneaking across the border? I think I have both a Daniels and Sheridan county 2000 rerecord book-What brand you have in your herd now? I'll send Matt up- he needs a roadtrip...

I find that fun the US has web sites where you can see just how much government program money a guy has recieved in the last eight years and the break down to what programs he recieved it from. But some are worried about their brand lien info. Besides what happen to the freedom of information act I would think access couldn't be denied under that act.

rancher
For one thing I don't think they have the money and time to put it online. The other is they could not sell you the brand books.
According to Oldtimer it is in their computer system already so how much more could it cost them in time and money to open the records so anyone could access them under the freedon of information act. I also find your statement funny Saskatchewan The Land of the Living Skies can afford to go online but Montana the Treasure State can't. :roll: If Montana is so broke maybe that is why your governor is insisting on making unnecessary re-inspections of Canadian cattle at a charge of $3 to $5. But I doubt it will put much money in the government coffer as theres not many slaughter plants in Montana and the owners can find other feedlots to feed out their cattle in states the don't reinspect at a cost. Maybe they could save on they printing cost and just let you access the information via computer. :wink:

rancher said:
Haymaker, here you had better get an inspection before you even think about crossing a county line. If you go out of state without one, you had better look good in stripes. They do a good job here inforcing the brand laws which is good.

I know one big local ranch that runs yearlings in South Dakota--When they gather in the fall they take a local Montana Inspector with them to inspect all the cattle since that part of South Dakota has no inspection law...He can't write inspections in SD, but he can cover their butt if someone comes up later claiming they are missing something- also gives an outsider tally for the bankers........

I think all the State of Montana would have to do is call SSI and the would load all their brand and owners on their site,sure would make The brand ownership readily available with a call to Helena or to a District Inspector... or from the SSI site.

But I doubt it will put much money in the government coffer as theres not many slaughter plants in Montana and the owners can find other feedlots to feed out their cattle in states the don't reinspect at a cost

I would have written this statement different, ...plants in Montana and the AMERICAN owners can find...

Charging your own citizens a penalty fee to purchase raw product out of country, that's just dirty! Discounting the whole capitalist way of thinking, in my opinion!

Tam said:
I find that fun the US has web sites where you can see just how much government program money a guy has recieved in the last eight years and the break down to what programs he recieved it from. But some are worried about their brand lien info. Besides what happen to the freedom of information act I would think access couldn't be denied under that act.

FOIA is federal- this is state...Montana has the second strongest right to privacy laws in the nation-second to Alaska.......

rancher said:

Yes and down here they are lax,I wonder what makes it differnt?......good luck PS are you caught up on your baleing?

If Montana is so broke maybe that is why your governor is insisting on making unnecessary re-inspections of Canadian cattle at a charge of $3 to $5.
I don't think the brand board gets money from the state tax system, it is paid per head of livestock owned. Oldtimer might know more on this. I don't care to pay more just to have it on line, I can just call my brand inspector and get it that way.

rancher said:
If Montana is so broke maybe that is why your governor is insisting on making unnecessary re-inspections of Canadian cattle at a charge of $3 to $5.
I don't think the brand board gets money from the state tax system, it is paid per head of livestock owned. Oldtimer might know more on this. I don't care to pay more just to have it on line, I can just call my brand inspector and get it that way.

I think you're right- Brand enforcement is pretty much self-sufficient...A few years ago they made the deputy inspectors even buy their own "books" (the state printed inspection forms) because they were so low on money...At least they aren't doing that anymore.....

Tam, why are you wanting the brands so bad. Going to brand some
BSE cows with a montana brand? :?

Latest posts