• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

MT DNRC

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Hereford76

Reaction score
maybe this was already discussed. What do you guys think about the doubling of the AUM rental rate on state grazing lands? $6 and change to $12 and change per AUM.

sounds like corn farming, cattle prices are up and landowners want thei piece of the pie. and with all the debt talk in dc, probably looking like a good place to add a little more to the public coffers

We really dont have any state grazing lands and i am not familiar with them but even though it doubled that is a steal. Alot has to do with corn prices because in our neck of the woods thats who drives up the rental rates, been rates of 150 to 300 per pair for 5-6 month grazing period for a couple years now. Just depends on what idiot finds out that there is ground for rent.

MSGA testified against, and with all the testimony against, they went ahead and voted 4-1 to move ahead. If it doubles, we may have to drop it. State lands doesn't do anything to fix fence, or provide us water. We fix fence, we can't use it (but still have to pay for it) if no rainfall because the only water on our lease is a pond. It's dry most of the time. This year it's more than full because of all our rainfall.

Hanta Yo said:
MSGA testified against, and with all the testimony against, they went ahead and voted 4-1 to move ahead. If it doubles, we may have to drop it. State lands doesn't do anything to fix fence, or provide us water. We fix fence, we can't use it (but still have to pay for it) if no rainfall because the only water on our lease is a pond. It's dry most of the time. This year it's more than full because of all our rainfall.

I doubt if any around here would drop it because of a rise from $6 an AUM to $12 an AUM-- when comparable adjacent private and Tribal lease land (that also provide nothing- and has a much more unstable govt administering it) goes for $30+ an AUM :???:

Hanta Yo said:

Sounds like Texas. I think some folks who have been on federal lands aren't quite sure of what a good deal they have. If it suck so bad, just walk away!!!

Actions speak louder than excuses.......

nortexsook said:
Hanta Yo said:

Sounds like Texas. I think some folks who have been on federal lands aren't quite sure of what a good deal they have. If it suck so bad, just walk away!!!

Actions speak louder than excuses.......

The private land we lease surrounds the state land. Sure don't want someone else getting it because we would be having to deal with their cattle all the time :(

I sure didn't mean to sound harsh to you personally, just in general.

Down here you (typically) pay a private land owner for a yearly lease and all up keep is on you as the stockman. And you never get a rebate when it doesn't rain (like this year). AND it is substantially higher on an animal unit basis than what ya'll are paying to Uncle Sammy.

The one thing you guys have to deal with is the multi use folks, I guess, but most leases here are also leased out to a third party for hunting so you have to put up with the hunters.

nortexsook said:
I sure didn't mean to sound harsh to you personally, just in general.

Down here you (typically) pay a private land owner for a yearly lease and all up keep is on you as the stockman. And you never get a rebate when it doesn't rain (like this year). AND it is substantially higher on an animal unit basis than what ya'll are paying to Uncle Sammy.

The one thing you guys have to deal with is the multi use folks, I guess, but most leases here are also leased out to a third party for hunting so you have to put up with the hunters.

Here, state lands is open to anyone who wants to hunt so hunting season is a pain...every year...

Latest posts