• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mustang Pictures-----------

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mustang

Reaction score
When we came up over the ridge and saw over a hundred head of mustangs on the flats below, it reminded me of the stories written by J.Frank Dobie when there were thousands of mustangs, rather than hundreds.

I hope you get just a small bit of the thrill we got when we were "among-um" (cowboy slang) It's a sight I cant fully capture with a camera.

Great pictures, mustang. You darn sure were "among 'em." They have learned to accept your presence quite well, and don't seem the least bit bothered by you being there so close. Thanks for your hard efforts and then allowing the rest of us to reap the rewards.

Totally awesome! What did you do that enhanced the colors in these?

My favorites are the 'camouflage' colt and one with the liver colored chestnut, which was 2 down from the camouflage colt.
(Now there's a word that is tough to spell...) :D
Thanks!

Faster horses said:
Totally awesome! What did you do that enhanced the colors in these?

My favorites are the 'camouflage' colt and one with the liver colored chestnut, which was 2 down from the camouflage colt.
(Now there's a word that is tough to spell...) :D
Thanks!

Photoshop,,, Some times I can get the camera to do what I want. In the fall when every thing bleaches out I use the More Vivid setting, which helps if the light is just wright. If that doesn't work,, I touch them up with a little help from the computer. If I could figure out the camera,,, I wouldn't have to use Photoshop. Those gray mares are so bright with the sun on them that I can't do much to darken them without making the background too dark.

Beautiful! Some are so glossy they look like someone has been tending them.

How close were you to them to get those shots?

nonrancher said:

The bay with his head down was about thirty feet. I was down on one knee and that tends to make me less of a threat and they get pretty brave. It's usually the yearlings that are the most curious. It always makes me a little nervous to be that close to a mustang. I don't fully trust them and try to watch my back and for any signs of ill intent.

mustang said:
nonrancher said:

The bay with his head down was about thirty feet. I was down on one knee and that tends to make me less of a threat and they get pretty brave. It's usually the yearlings that are the most curious. It always makes me a little nervous to be that close to a mustang. I don't fully trust them and try to watch my back and for any signs of ill intent.

Maybe I should explain that this band of mustangs are not like any other I have heard about. There is a story that years ago, someone feed them out of the back of a pickup and they became much more tame than any other mustangs in Utah. We also try to get pictures of another band about twenty mines north. They are much more wild. They will head out of the area if they see a pickup drive down the road a mile away.

mustang said:
mustang said:
nonrancher said:

Maybe I should explain that this band of mustangs are not like any other I have heard about. There is a story that years ago, someone feed them out of the back of a pickup and they became much more tame than any other mustangs in Utah. We also try to get pictures of another band about twenty miles north. They are much more wild. They will head out of the area if they see a pickup drive down the road a mile away.

What an amazing collection of shots. They just seem to keep getting better!

That big black is one impressive horse. Looks like he could run for days.

Latest posts