• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My COOL compromise

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER said:
agman said:
RobertMac said:
Agman: "For you and yours to suggest that by labeling beef as U.S. all competition ceases is simply ludicrous."

When all beef is COOL labeled, only then will the competition begin!!!!!! Let's get started.

With all do respect you are too removed from the total marketplace to realize how much real competition exits today. If it is already assumed to be U.S. beef, as so many of your cohorts claim, then what diffence will a USA label make? The differentiation is when foreign product is labeld and becomes a novelty item or permanent replacment for U.S. product for some consumers.

I can tell you that when New Zealand product is placed in the counter and labeled as such it outsells U.S. product in those stores. A like situation developed with Australian labeled product. That is not speculation or here-say, rather it is a fact. Whether you believe this is so is immaterial to the consumer. Whether you or I like the situation is also immaterial-the consumer does not care how you or I feel.

It is our responsibility to understand the consumer and why they feel as they do. Then adjust our product to meet their needs, not ours. That is why we are all in the beef business unlike the indoctrination by R-Calf and its members that they are only in the cattle business. That failed belief only shows one's ignorance of the total marketplace. You are too smart RM to wallow in that phony trap for long.

agman as you say......with all due respest I dont visit meat counters often,
but I sure never seen any beef labeled or identified as NEW ZEALAND around here in TX ever, and I doubt you could sell an ounce of it around here ,are you trying to compare TX to new jersy or Boston?.........good luck

I am not aware of any stores in Tx that handle New Zealand beef. I expect there may be some in Dallas but I would have to confirm this.
East and west coast is where most of the action is.

Agman: "If it is already assumed to be U.S. beef, as so many of your cohorts claim, then what diffence will a USA label make?"

It's not just a USA label, but all beef...all food is labeled for COOL. What labeling shows is honesty and respect for the people that buy the products. As you have said...all money comes from the consumers. If the consumer looses trust in the food providers, they stop spending their money. Too many meat recalls have shaken that trust. Your auto analogy is a good one because the USA auto industry lost their dominance because they failed to respond to the people that bought their product.

I have no doubts about what you say about New Zealand and Australian labeled beef(and you can probably throw in Argentina). That's the market I sell to...and I'd be willing to bet you a cold beer I'd sell out first because I have 'Born and Raised in Mississippi, USA' on my label.

And just for the record, did you owned one of those 240Zs???
Take care, Robert

Sand: "Sandhusker: "Feel free to post a quote from R-CALF about the safety of imported beef if you have one."

SH (in response): "What was the purpose of the R-CULT's brief filed in court if not to suggest Canadian beef is unsafe???

SH (in response): "What was the purpose of the Washington Post add if not to suggest Canadian beef is unsafe???"

Sand (in response): "So you're telling me that all of our imported beef comes from Canada? Don't we import from Australia, New Zealand, and about 20 other countries?"

How in the world did you arrive at that in response to my answer to your challenge?

You asked a question, I answered it, and you Bullard off on a different tangent.

I know exactly what the import breakdowns are and posted the information repeatedly. How arrogant of you to assume that I suddenly forgot.

The leading countries we import beef and live cattle from are Canada, New Zealand, Australian, and Mexico.

The rest of the imported beef and cattle from the other 20 countries is insignificant in comparison but makes for good "sky is falling" fodder for the Free Trade blamers.

The bulk of the New Zealand and Australian imports is lean trimmings that we blend with our surplus 50/50 trim which end up in food service which is exempt from "Mandatory" County of Origin labeling.

The bulk of our imports from Mexico is feeder cattle. We export more dollars worth of beef to Mexico than we import in dollars of feeder cattle. A NAFTA success story that you will not hear from the "afwaid to twade" liberal Farmer's Union.

Canadian imports, under normal trade, constitute about 10% of our U.S. beef consumption.

Why did you ask for a quote from R-CALF about the safety of imported beef if you weren't willing to address the answer?

More divertion I presume!

Sand: "That's the problem with some of you anti-R-CALFers, you read something and can't comprehend what you read and then make a misstatement."

You asked a question, I answered it, you diverted!

What's not to comprehend?

Looks like Sandhusker in his usual deceptive, diverting Bullard-like form!

~SH~

Let me make it simple for simple minds. Agman made a statement about R-CALF's views on imported beef. We import beef from many countries. If R-CALF said imported beef was unsafe, their statement would have to encompass imported beef from EVERY FLIPPING COUNTRY, NOT JUST CANADA - AND THEY HAVEN'T!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Agman was WRONG. They've singled out ONE country in the whole bunch! A comment about ONE doesn't apply to All! I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.

Feel free to make something else up that isn't there. :mad:

Sandhusker said:
Let me make it simple for simple minds. Agman made a statement about R-CALF's views on imported beef. We import beef from many countries. If R-CALF said imported beef was unsafe, their statement would have to encompass imported beef from EVERY FLIPPING COUNTRY, NOT JUST CANADA - AND THEY HAVEN'T!!!!!!!!!!!! :mad:

Agman was WRONG. They've singled out ONE country in the whole bunch! A comment about ONE doesn't apply to All! I don't know what is so hard to understand about that.

Feel free to make something else up that isn't there. :mad:

{Really nit picking there, Sandhusker!

While it MAY be true that R-CALF did not specifically say or write in a "news" release that ALL imported beef is unsafe........the leaders know they don't have to do the "dirty work" because Johnny Smith, Dennis Hanson and others will do it for them.

Maybe you don't hear their "market reports", but many people do. They frequently have stated that ALL that imported beef is just "junk" or "crap" (apparently a favorite illustrative term for them), or "diseased".

Would it not better serve the cattle/beef industry to work to assure that all the beef our consumers get is properly inspected for safety, which it IS when the systems with the requirement for equal to US Inspections work properly, than to continue this attack on imports?

We need some imported beef TO INCREASE THE VALUE of our nearly worthless US fat trim beef. Denying that is deceiving ourselves. The alternative would be to sell our chuck and roast at low trim prices for that purpose when they currently bring more money as new steaks and other higher value cuts.

Some consumers, hearing that some beef MAY not be safe will be likely to decide none is safe to eat if they do not have access to organic beef with it's assumed, but not proven, superiority, or a guaranteed brand of beef. Those do exist in some markets, but not all.

Sandhusker, you get far too much enjoyment from parsing words and phrases.......sort of like Bill Clinton did......but I'm not sure you are as good at it since you simply cause confusion.

MRJ

MRJ, "Sandhusker, you get far too much enjoyment from parsing words and phrases.......sort of like Bill Clinton did......but I'm not sure you are as good at it since you simply cause confusion. "

You have to "parse words and phases" with the likes of SH haunting these boards with his style of reading half a statement and tangenting off. The above is a perfect example. R-CALF said Canadian beef was unsafe, so SH (and Agman) reword R-CALF's statement to say "imported" beef was unsafe - which totally changes the message.

Sandhusker: "R-CALF said Canadian beef was unsafe, so SH (and Agman) reword R-CALF's statement to say "imported" beef was unsafe - which totally changes the message."

I'll let the readers decide who is changing the message.

Sandhusker (PREVIOUS): "Feel free to post a quote from R-CALF about the safety of imported beef if you have one."

You didn't say, "feel free to post a quote from R-CALF about the safety of "ALL" imported beef if you have one".

You said, "feel free to post a quote from R-CALF about the safety of imported beef if you have one" which implies imported beef from any country.

If you can't explain yourself any better than that you can't expect someone to know what you mean.

You should have said, "feel free to post a quote from R-CALF where they claimed that "ALL" imported beef was unsafe" if that is what you meant which would also have fit your deceptive style of trying to suggest that R-CALF wasn't questioning the safety of any imported beef.

~SH~

Latest posts