• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My Opinion on Border Issue

Help Support Ranchers.net:

cedardell

Reaction score
If we are to have free trade with our neighbors and the rest of the world it is imperative that there is a mechanism in place to prevent the ruin of a countries economy by huge influxes of foreign product. That is what the WHO trade comission was set up for. In my opinion it does not seem to be functioning, because look at the huge US trade deficeit. The issue of keeping the border closed for economic reasons dosen't make sense because if large numbers of cattle were to come across and depress US prices either for meat or feeder cattle, then the US would have trade greivences with Canada and under WTO rules would close the border for those reasons. For Canada to build their whole beef industry for export to the US is unfair and should be addressed by WTO trade commission if those supplies are burdonsome to US farmers and ranchers. Canada doubled exports of beef to US last year under the present rules and did not depress prices in US. However, if they continue to double exports until they do depress prices then we would have greivences against them. Then economic sanctions would be put in place. This is the way the system was supposed to work. So the health issue is a whole separate issue with it's own peculiar set of rules and protocols. There has to be sound science to keep the border closed for health reasons. In my estimation there is sound science to keep the present rules in place. In a few months we'll be able to test all animals either alive or dead and the whole situation will be resolved one way or the other. But if Canada does expand her cattle industry to the detriment of US producers there will still be trade issues. So Canafa had better be careful about reckless expansion. Also US packers had better be careful about wishing for cheaper foreign feeder cattle. Those feeders are a commodity and should come under sanctions if they depress prices in the US.

cedardell said:
If we are to have free trade with our neighbors and the rest of the world it is imperative that there is a mechanism in place to prevent the ruin of a countries economy by huge influxes of foreign product. That is what the WHO trade comission was set up for. In my opinion it does not seem to be functioning, because look at the huge US trade deficeit. The issue of keeping the border closed for economic reasons dosen't make sense because if large numbers of cattle were to come across and depress US prices either for meat or feeder cattle, then the US would have trade greivences with Canada and under WTO rules would close the border for those reasons. For Canada to build their whole beef industry for export to the US is unfair and should be addressed by WTO trade commission if those supplies are burdonsome to US farmers and ranchers. Canada doubled exports of beef to US last year under the present rules and did not depress prices in US. However, if they continue to double exports until they do depress prices then we would have greivences against them. Then economic sanctions would be put in place. This is the way the system was supposed to work. So the health issue is a whole separate issue with it's own peculiar set of rules and protocols. There has to be sound science to keep the border closed for health reasons. In my estimation there is sound science to keep the present rules in place. In a few months we'll be able to test all animals either alive or dead and the whole situation will be resolved one way or the other. But if Canada does expand her cattle industry to the detriment of US producers there will still be trade issues. So Canafa had better be careful about reckless expansion. Also US packers had better be careful about wishing for cheaper foreign feeder cattle. Those feeders are a commodity and should come under sanctions if they depress prices in the US.

So Canafa had better be careful about reckless expansion.

Expansion in Canada will not be reckless and will be focussed on the US as well as other foreign markets (some of them were American). Further delays by R-calf and other US interests will increase the likelihood of testing for those markets. Depending on the outcome of the July injuction hearing it may be sooner than later.

The impact Cebull's decision will have on Canadian producers is small compared to the fallout that could hit ALL US beef producers.

The 'cattle' business in Canada is not going to expand.

There are all kinds of producers right now who can hardly wait to get out of it. All they need is the price to go up to where they can get out with the shirts on their backs. :?

It's the 'beef' business in Canada that is going to expand. The processing side of it.

The Conservation Dept in our state is at this very moment following the Montana scenario for depopulating deer which are carrying a devastating disease which eats away their brain until they die.(CWD) CWD has progressed rapidly in this state in spite of earlier attempts to control it here and Wisconsin. No one on this web site has been able to tell me how it is spread, whether cattle can carry it, or it's effect on humans. So now that CWD is literaly at my doorstep I am worried for the safety of my family and Grandchildren. I eagerly await new research, but feel if it is bad news, then it will be to late for prevention. So I am strongly in favor of testing every animal and looking for the truth and throwing all the political rhetoric in the garbage can. Economics is a whole separate issue is what I am trying to say and should be dealt with seperatly. If you add Australia and South America into the equation economics is not a none issue. If you let a couple conglomerated meat packing companies control the whole world trade US ranchers had better quite too.

Cedardell, read some of Kathy's posts on Mark Purdey, you might just have your answer.

Reader, I said he might! When it comes to CWD, it's a new ball of wax, I have not seen many theories on transmission or cause when it comes to CWD. I believe all these TSE's are similar, but that does not mean one has caused the other etc. Do you have any published theories on CWD? It's surely not feeding them beef!

I'm sorry Reader, but I still have a problem with all the studies on Transmission and not cause. Yes, we need to do as much as possible to stop the spread, but also to find the cause and try to stop it also. The copper/maganese and the spiroplasm theories are the only ones I've seen on cause. Are there any more?

It's kind of like looking at scratching/rubbing on cattle. "Well, they caught that from their new penmates", "well we better not introduce new penmates"

No, we found the cause and we control the cause, Lice!

If you have any info. on other possible causes of where this all started, I'd love to read up on them. But right now environmental factors seems to be very possible.

I disagree with you there Porker! When you think about it, diagnosing deseases, afflictions, conditions, etc. of the brain can sometimes give you the same symptoms, but that does not mean that they are caused by the same type of desease etc.

Think of the brain as an electrical circuit. There can be different reasons for the same symptoms or failure. They may even look like the same under the microscope, but that does not give us all the answers.

Latest posts