• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

My Wife's Colt

Help Support Ranchers.net:

TimH

Reaction score
I'm an idiot when it comes to horses. When I am on a horse it is not called riding it is called managing to stay on. I like them and everything and love riding but just was not raised with a lot of horses around.
Anyway, my wife bred her QH mare(buckskin and very nice) to a thoroughbred stud last year and the colt is now a yearling. The other day he jumped a gate that is between 4 1/2 and 5 feet high and easily cleared it. She goes on and on about how great this is(she has a background in hunter/jumper/dressage) and I don't know whether to agree with her or not!!!! Please help, as I don't mind admitting when I am a moron, but just not to my wife!!!! :lol: :lol:

If he jumped that high, he must be athletic. Why did he jump the gate?

My sone trained a horse last summer who jumped a gate 5 to 5.5 tall. Very athletic, but also pretty "hot". He will never be a horse for a begin'er, but sure will be a dandy horse for an expert! :lol:

Jinglebob- "If he jumped that high, he must be athletic. Why did he jump the gate?"

Good question!!!! Him and his mother and 1/2 brother had all been out in a small pasture together. My wife got them in and locked them all in a pen so she could vaccinate them. When she went back ,with the needles, he had jumped out and wanted back in!! There were take off and landing marks on either side of the gate. Why did he do it???? Because he could,I suppose!!! :lol: :lol:

Athletic is the word my wife uses, as well. I used some different words!!! :wink: :wink:

Hey Tim, I have a few horses myself....not a horse person but am learning. Anyhows......I recently purchased a Papered Black Morgan stud colt, I put him in a pen alone - to familiarize himself with new surroundings.
I also have a Palomino Arab/Qtr mare with legs as long as I am high, A Morgan/pony and a BIG ol' Belgium/?????? gelding.
Well the BelgiumX gelding to my total SUPRISE mysteriously ended up in the pen with the new colt on several occasions? I just couldn't figure this out? He is maybe 14hh if that,no legs to speak of, stumpy build and slower than molasses? He obviously jumped the 5 foot fence to check out the colt. I just could not believe he could jump - much less run fast enough to get airbourne! LOL!!!!!!
I guess if theres a will there a way!
The gelding wants to be the Alpha horse and made sure he put things
straight!!!! I now believe all horses can jump anything they set thier sights on!!!!

:eek:

Latest posts