• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Mystery Solved

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Shauna heard a noise in the attic last night-well today she found out what it was-a neighbor came over for coffee and there was a young raccoon on the roof. I've never seen a live one up in our country just hides from the rare ones guys trap. There is one less now. Lucky i'm not home I'd of tried to make a pet out of it lol.

We had a bunch of them in a shed here a few years back. Dad promised to make it worth our while if they got exterminated, so needless to say your best bet would be to get a couple highschool kids to take care of them for ya ;)

A 9" conna bear trap across the top of a 5 gal bucket laying on its side with cat food inside will make quick work of them.

I cut notches about 3/8" wide and 2" deep in each side of the bucket and wire the trap to the bucket.

I keep one or two up in the rafters as a coon will wreck a combine in no time flat!

In the winter time when we are putting the combines up for the season the coons are worth from $10.00 to $20.00 @ One neighbor called and I got 45 coons out of his barn in one day then we got one of his wife's cats and she put a stop to the traping and made us go to live traps after that.

They love to use the straw walkers for a bathroom - - -- really causes rust and mold but the main problem is they love to go thru small openings and that is where the wiring goes.

They can totally ruin a wiring harness, rip the seats apart looking for any piece of grain.

We put mothballs in the trucks, tractors, combines, anything with a cab. Then Dcon as well but the coons ignore the mothballs and dcon

If you have hay stored indoors they will go to the highest point for a bathroom and the urine will go way down growing a really toxic mold that could cause health problems for anyone handeling as well as problems if you were to try to feed it.

Some people think they are cute but keep them away from here if you want them to live!

Coons are cute and a pet coon is really fun as long as it's someone else's. Those suckers can sure tear things up and they are bold, sneaky little things. They create more manure than a feedlot steer, it seems. If you ever have occassion to go into a barn or shed where they've been living the "cute" wears off pretty fast. What a mess they can make of things!

Latest posts