• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nebraska's Two Organizations

Help Support Ranchers.net:

CattleRMe

Reaction score
Nebraska has two different associations for people involved in the cattle industry one being ICON and the other being Nebraska Cattlemen. The first supports R-Calf while the second is with NCBA. My question is do other states have two state level orgainzations? I've included some quotes from each website and the site addresses if any of you would like to check them out.

"The voice of one cattleman cannot possibly be as effective as the voices of many, like the thousands serious about their business, who belong to the Nebraska Cattlemen." http://nebraskacattlemen.org/

Why have we formed this new organization?
We'll see to it that your voice is not squelched by others who think they know what you want.
The existing beef organizations serve the entire cattle industry, from calving lot to dinner plate. Independent Cattlemen of Nebraska (ICON) recognizes the important services they provide, but feels that an industry-wide organization cannot fully represent, promote, and protect the specific interests and needs of Nebraska's cow-calf producer, feeder, and packer equally.http://www.independentcattlemen.com/faq.htm

Been around ranchers and farmers all my short? life.

You'll NEVER get them to agree on anything. :lol: :lol:

Mike...Been around ranchers and farmers all my short? life.

You'll NEVER get them to agree on anything.

I agree Mike, but there is always one in the crowd that thinks he knows everything and is always right.

Tommy: "I agree Mike, but there is always one in the crowd that thinks he knows everything and is always right."

There is always one in the crowd that couldn't back his views if his life depended on it. He needs to blame and repeats what he hears that supports his need to blame. Facts don't matter to him. What matters to him is having someone or something to blame. You'll see him nodding his head at a blamer's convention as he listens to speakers tell him what he wants to hear. Asking those speakers for facts to back their statements is the farthest thing from his mind. He's so used to nodding his head that his head bobs when he walks. LOL!

~SH~

Tommy said:
Mike...Been around ranchers and farmers all my short? life.

You'll NEVER get them to agree on anything.

I agree Mike, but there is always one in the crowd that thinks he knows everything and is always right.

Hey Tommy did you ever ask Leo about his
"We test annually over 150,000 more cattle than Canada tests."
statement.
or his
"we know Canada is still processing downer animals, the United States does not process downers"
statement,
or his
"Canada has a chronic problem with their Meat and Bone Meal (MBM) feed ban and that it is ineffective"
statement
or his
"Canada's feed ban is not adequately enforced. News reports originating in Canada indicated that as much as 70% of cattle feed samples tested contained unauthorized animal parts"
statement,
or his
"importing UTM (under thirty month) cattle and meat from OTM (over thirty month) cattle would put the U.S. feed system in danger."
statement.
or this statement
"if the U.S. imports the UTM cattle from Canada to be processed in the U.S. plants, the U.S. consumers would be put in danger. "
maybe this statement ,
"Our high health and safety standards are needed to protect consumers, the beef industry, and U.S. jobs"
or this one
"we know if we are going to keep consumer confidence we are going to maintain some of the highest standards in the world to make sure that BSE is not introduced into this country. And we are going to make sure we have the best meat and bone meal ban in this country in place. So if for some reason we did find a case we can stand and look our consumers right in the eye and say, don't worry we have had these firewalls in place for years, the only country prior to having a case of BSE to have these firewalls in place for so many years. And we did it to make sure if a case was ever found it was a non-issue.
and maybe he would like to answer to this one too
"R-CALF USA [has] never argued that there was a great risk to human health from resumed imports of cattle and beef from Canada."
Looks to me as if Leo is the one in your crowd and by not questioning him on his statements you blindly support all he tells you even though the test number don't lie, some of the samples were imported, thousands of US jobs were lost, UTM cattle aren't putting your feed system in danger or your consumers. And if you have the firewalls Leo is talking about our OTM will not put the US consumer in any more danger than the US OTM cattle. and gee what are the reports about downers in US slaughter plants, Tommy? Yes there is one in every crowd and until he is held accountable for his lies by his supporters he will continue to think he is right. :roll:

:???: I think you all missed the object of this post. Seems to me some are so busy trying to prove the other wrong you aren't even reading the posts.

The point of the post was in fact to find out if other states had two state level organizations. ICON is fairly new just wondered if all of you had heard of it or not?

CattleRMe said:
:???: I think you all missed the object of this post. Seems to me some are so busy trying to prove the other wrong you aren't even reading the posts.

The point of the post was in fact to find out if other states had two state level organizations. ICON is fairly new just wondered if all of you had heard of it or not?

I've heard about them. They're R-CALF's little brother in Nebraska and an alternative to the Nebraska Cattlemen.

CattleRMe said:

I do know that Montana has two, they have the Montana StockGrowers that are NCBA and the Montana Cattlemen are R-CALF In South Dakota it gos the other way The Stockgrowers are R-CALF and the Cattlemen are NCBA I did know that ICON was R-CALF as I heard Leo speaking to them on internet Radio a while back.

I believe that an R-CALF affiliate has recently formed in ND afer their Stockmens' Assoc., though affiliated with both RC and NCBA failed to be solid enough on the RC agenda's. Time will tell what happens there, as I believe Stockmen still are affiliated with both groups.

I just read a good reminder: it isn't good to go backward when our eyes are placed in the fron of our heads. That reminded me of some of the R-CALF cheerleaders I hear on radio and other places......always wanting to "go back to"...... various practices from yesterday, or twenty years ago, or fifty years ago. Some things from "the good ol' days" are fun, some are worthy of retaining, but we have to live in the here and now and tailor our practices for a successful future, if we want to stay in the cattle business.

After the sale of the notorious Mattie Goff Newcombe ranch a few days ago, 11,000 acres +/-, selling at $590.00 per acre, many people were bemoaning the apparent fact that no one would be able to expand their ranches at those prices when needing to bring children or grandchildren into their cattle operation.

However, at least one individual was excited about the prospect of working on some practices unusual to our part of the world that would offer a different market for cattle. The point is that some people see doom and gloom in change, while others seize the opportunity to adapt and prosper in the face of change

MRJ.

MRJ said:
I believe that an R-CALF affiliate has recently formed in ND afer their Stockmens' Assoc., though affiliated with both RC and NCBA failed to be solid enough on the RC agenda's. Time will tell what happens there, as I believe Stockmen still are affiliated with both groups.

I just read a good reminder: it isn't good to go backward when our eyes are placed in the fron of our heads. That reminded me of some of the R-CALF cheerleaders I hear on radio and other places......always wanting to "go back to"...... various practices from yesterday, or twenty years ago, or fifty years ago. Some things from "the good ol' days" are fun, some are worthy of retaining, but we have to live in the here and now and tailor our practices for a successful future, if we want to stay in the cattle business.
After the sale of the notorious Mattie Goff Newcombe ranch a few days ago, 11,000 acres +/-, selling at $590.00 per acre, many people were bemoaning the apparent fact that no one would be able to expand their ranches at those prices when needing to bring children or grandchildren into their cattle operation.

However, at least one individual was excited about the prospect of working on some practices unusual to our part of the world that would offer a different market for cattle. The point is that some people see doom and gloom in change, while others seize the opportunity to adapt and prosper in the face of change

MRJ.
That may not work this time, as Sportsmens' groups like the return to grass, believing it is better for the wildlife (big game instead of, or in addition to, birds) and they just might have the political power to keep it however they want it! They are vocal and have the time and money to "win friends and influence people", especially state and national politicians!

MRJ

This contradicts your views from above. You complain about others and change, but upset if it is against your views.

ranch hand, you are reading something I didn't say into my post.

I'm not opposed to change. I AM opposed to government financing the "improvement" of wildlife habitat for Sportsmens' groups AND increased cattle production by farmers with SUBSIDIZED grazing, and even purchase of land via the CRP program.

BTW, where did I say which 'side' I was on in the two scenarios posted above?

MRJ

ranch hand said:
:???: :???: :???:

Tough cookies, there fella, but I can see it both ways and am not really sure which is absolutely right.

The couple buying the ranch obviously are excited and happy to be able to have that ranch. I wish them well, and hope they appreciate the blessings of their apparent wealth.

There certainly are many people equally sad and unhappy, even angry, that they are not able to borrow money to buy land for their needed expansions.

It would be great if they could work together to mutual benefit, however that could only solve some of the problems for some of the people in that localized area while land prices are jumping all over SD and other areas as well, making conventional ranching, even by the best operators more difficult to afford.

I believe it is imperative that federal and other governments sell off much of the land they hold which would be suitable and probably even best used for raising cattle or other commercial uses. A major reason for so much land being in federal ownership is because people believed it worthless back in our history.

MRJ

MRJ said:

MRJ.

One of the most optimistic outlooks I have read recently was written by Pat Goggins.

ocm said:
MRJ said:

MRJ.

One of the most optimistic outlooks I have read recently was written by Pat Goggins.

He is a master of reading his audience well and telling them what they want to hear.

He didn't get to be one of the very biggest operators in the nation by ALWAYS being negative.

MRJ

Latest posts