• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Need pics of Limos

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Here's one of a black limo cow with her red limo calf.
supperinthetrees.jpg

Empty LOL LOVE the name of the pic ........
Thank you clarence yes that is good. Giving me the more advance explination is good as well so I can answer some of the faster kids questions. Yall will see in 3 weeks they will have a good grasp on the basics and be wanting more.
Have to ask a friend took me to a Limo ranch and we walked in the pasture with them and they never paid us any mind. Unfortunately my batteries were not charged or I would have had pics. Why do yall keep asking if you can run fast?

MsSage,
you will be getting a packet in the mail from Hanta Yo that is a basic 4-h lessons on ruminants. Clarence has you started in the right direction, we can help. One of my favorite things, even when helping with continuing education for teachers, is taking rumen fluid into the class room and having kids/teachers/who ever look at rumen microbes under the microscope and explaining to them how the symbiotic relationship between cows and microfloral works and why cows are good vegetarians and people are not. When doing school rooms, the oohs and ahhhs are almost enough to make me want to teach, but not, I would be teaching ruminant ecology every day and die a thousand deaths, you can't say ecology, cows and beneficial all in one sentence or you get sent to your room by the bunny police. :wink:

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh that would be so cool. What size microscope do you use? I think I can get my hands on a electronic 1000x Where would I get the fluid? do you use a dish or a slide? How long do they stay alive outside the cow? How would you store it for use over a week time period?
OK gotta find that microscope LOL
I am waiting on the package and getting excited :D

MsSage,

It's unbelievable (unfortunately) how the grade school and even high school students in this agricultural community are 4-5 generations removed from farming and ranching. Our local CattleWomen group goes into the classrooms once a year (Gr K-6) and into the Jr & Sr High School to promote BEEF and change attitudes toward Ranchers and Farmers to the positive. Our kids ARE OUR FUTURE and if we can't get them educated correctly we are doomed. The parents have their attitude and ideas based on incorrect media BIAS (don't make me go there!!!). The media likes NEWS, whether true or false as long as it is NEWS.

We have much work ahead of us, but one child at a time, we can get 'er done. The week we spend in the classrooms is called "Beef Week" and the last day we serve the "Perfect Cheeseburger". Our local receives awesome thank-yous and I remember one I got 2 years ago...her parents were taking beef out of their menu, and this child was thinking maybe that would be ok, until she tasted the great taste of a cheeseburger (and convinced her parents to add beef to the menu) and we also have a program called "The Perfect Cheeseburger", which applies all the good stuff a person would put on a cheeseburger and apply it to the Food Pyramid. Even with the new Pyramid there aren't very many changes. Oh, man, I have so much to give to you!!

I thank you for doing what you are doing, and you are taking the time to get it RIGHT!!

Hanta Yo

The 1000x will work fine, some of the microbes require electrons but to get the point across you have enough, some of the paremeciums can be seen swimming with the naked eye on the slides. Put a few cc's of the fluid on a slide with a cover and the hardy ones will live for an hour or so. To get the fluid, go to a farmer, rancher dairy man that you know or go to a small processor that will let you in. Live animal, garden hose to the rumen and suck some of the fluid into the hose and put it into a prewarmed thermous, cows temp is 101. Anaerobic, get the lid on, you will have enough small forage particles to keep them alive for about 10 hours is they stay warm. Most ranchers will forget this very important thing about a cow, if she gets a high temp for very long the microbes will die so the cow cannot digest forage, she will die. High temps require the rumen to be reinoculated, whether by paste or wait and see what happens. At processing plant, which many of them will not do because they want to control bacteria, grab a hand full of rumen contents and squeeze them into the thermous. You can also do the same thing with a deer hunter, have the thermous free warmed and get the fluid into it as soon as possible. If you cannot do any of the above, try using Cornell.edu as Cornell had the leading ruminant ecologists and I am sure they would have pictures. We have Official Rumen Diver hats, only one thing to be aware of, the smell of rumen fluid has something to be desired, I am now and forever banned from the science lab at Roundup High School, he will retire before me :wink:

OK so your saying I need to get new every night. For class at 7:45 am. hmmmmmmm and JUST HOW BAD is the smell???
If I told you I LOVE the smell of silage? would that be a close comparison? Yes I grew up next to a Dairy farm and thats what they fed in the winter ,loved helping at feeding and milking times. I know weird. LOL
The hard part is finding a farm within driving distance. The last place I knew sold out about 6 months ago. I- 485 is going through their pasture.
Well you have a 21 groups of 3 and I would say 90% are so excited and have already changed their minds toward farming. That and their parents are excited thats why they want the kids to tell abotu their calf in 2 weeks......I love being told LAST MIN.
THANK YOU for taking the time to get me the information. Letting me "bug" you with all my questions :D

MsSage said:
OK so your saying I need to get new every night. For class at 7:45 am. hmmmmmmm and JUST HOW BAD is the smell???
If I told you I LOVE the smell of silage? would that be a close comparison? Yes I grew up next to a Dairy farm and thats what they fed in the winter ,loved helping at feeding and milking times. I know weird. LOL
The hard part is finding a farm within driving distance. The last place I knew sold out about 6 months ago. I- 485 is going through their pasture.
Well you have a 21 groups of 3 and I would say 90% are so excited and have already changed their minds toward farming. That and their parents are excited thats why they want the kids to tell abotu their calf in 2 weeks......I love being told LAST MIN.
THANK YOU for taking the time to get me the information. Letting me "bug" you with all my questions :D

MsSage, the smell of rumen fluid will make you gag, I guarantee that and I have a very strong stomach. Not even close to the "nice" smell of silage. However, you just get past it, and get on with all the information rumen fluid has! sw is a wealth of information, he is probably one of a few number of people who are so informed about the rumen.

The rumen, however, is what makes the cow the best convertor of inedible feed stuff to us into meat. Period. I can get pretty technical about this, I am trying to keep this simple for the layman.

MsSage, How bout samples of the feed that the cow eats?

We've got oats, corn, insilage, grass, hay, wheat, speltz, cotton seed
I can send ya some baggies of some if you want.

The feed stuff will be in the mail before weeks end MsSage. Just to warn you though, the insilage will smell. To a city kid I imagine it will smell bad. But to me It is the best smell of the winter. Silage and haylage both all in ziplock bags. Plenty for the kids to play in. HEHE :D

when i was a little kid at my grandfather's dairy, sometimes he would get milk with blood in it which made it pink and he would tell me that is how they make strawberry milk. :D

Aww you call it insilage. I heard or maybe remembered it wrong LOL but I LOVE that smell. Was told you cant have it in the south due to mold. :?
Thank you that will work out great for the next lesson. :D
Yeap these kids learn best by touching and feeling. LOL
hmmmmbeen trying to break them of red cow= strawberry milk GRRRRRRRRRRRRR LOL poor things ~Aero did you ever believe him?

Latest posts