• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Neighbors

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
Neighbors , there are great neighbors that help you get a cow of the highway, bring a casserole over when they hear you are sick, or put up hay and bring food when some one has passed away. Then there are the neighbors that instead of calling you when your sheep get out and their yard call the Sherriff department.

I didn't call the Sheriff's Department, but when my neighbor finally showed up to slaughter his bull that had broken numerous fences of mine and that I'd fed for several weeks, I did collect 5 kilos of backstrap. :D

jodywy said:
Neighbors , there are great neighbors that help you get a cow of the highway, bring a casserole over when they hear you are sick, or put up hay and bring food when some one has passed away. Then there are the neighbors that instead of calling you when your sheep get out and their yard call the Sherriff department.

Odds are that is a neighbor that moved in from the city instead of a ranching family. Am I right?

Or the neighbor that instead of calling you when there is a grass fire on your place he calls the police and fire department and then threatens to sue you if it gets on his place from yours. Had this happen. I was burning pasture and it was the field next to the neighbor and he called the police and the fire department and then came down there and threatened to sue me. The fire didnt even get to the fence.

I know how you feel about crazy neighbors.

I know the pasture beside me is leased to a mexican family (yes they are from Mexico NO not sure of their legal or not)
There has been many times the calves and horses they put in there get in my pasture. Yes I went to the Sherriff the first time cuz I didnt know who had it and he knows everyone LOL After that all I did was go over to Pools chemicles and have them call him on the radio to get his livestock. Yes I have asked many times for them to do different things...depending on the mood if they get done.
There have been a couple horses show up at my house LOL but I know whos they are and let them know and they pick them up........I have taken food, offered to babysit ect. to people who are having issues in thier life.......
So to say they are from the city is painting all "city people" with a broad brush
As for me I say they are jerks, dont care where they are from. :?

Pertnear said:
In this part of the world fence post and wire make good neighbors.

Pertnear, I can't read one of your posts without thinking of grandma Geesey....whose maiden name was English. She was from S. Dakota and often used the word pertnear. :D

I've heard a story more than once that might bear repeating here.

A fellow bought a new ranch clear out of his home country and
moved there. He was talking with the rancher who lived up
the road one day. The new guy asked him
how the neighbors were there. The fella he was talking to replied,
"how were the neighbors where you come from? I'm sure you'll
find them the same way here."

Moral of the story: most likely if you are a good neighbor you'll most good neighbors. If not, you might get what you deserve, or
maybe more......... :D

I have to share what just happened. Ginger (shoers horse) was down I couldnt get her up. I called the one person I knew could help. She said she would be here in a min she had to turn around and come back this way. We got her up and walked her after an hour she called her hubby and son to come help. It took BOTH of us to keep her up and going. after they took over it took another hour and half we got some banimine in her and she was not wanting to go back down.
I dont know how many times I told her Thank you and how much I appreachted all they had done. I really believe ginger would have died had she not helped.
I will for sure take supper over to them and I made sure she knows to callwen they need help anytime.
I have some awesome neighbors and I THANK GOD for them.

ps I was paniced due to today is the Marine corp Birthday and I couldnt bear to ruin the day by telling shoer his horse had died.

MsSage said:
I have to share what just happened. Ginger (shoers horse) was down I couldnt get her up. I called the one person I knew could help. She said she would be here in a min she had to turn around and come back this way. We got her up and walked her after an hour she called her hubby and son to come help. It took BOTH of us to keep her up and going. after they took over it took another hour and half we got some banimine in her and she was not wanting to go back down.
I dont know how many times I told her Thank you and how much I appreachted all they had done. I really believe ginger would have died had she not helped.
I will for sure take supper over to them and I made sure she knows to callwen they need help anytime.
I have some awesome neighbors and I THANK GOD for them.

ps I was paniced due to today is the Marine corp Birthday and I couldnt bear to ruin the day by telling shoer his horse had died.

Some neighbors are PRICELESS. Glad your story had a
good ending.

Now you need to figure out what happened to the horse, why did
she colic? Is she getting enough water? If they colic once, they'll
sure tend to do it again. Good luck!

Faster horses said:
I've heard a story more than once that might bear repeating here.

A fellow bought a new ranch clear out of his home country and
moved there. He was talking with the rancher who lived up
the road one day. The new guy asked him
how the neighbors were there. The fella he was talking to replied,
"how were the neighbors where you come from? I'm sure you'll
find them the same way here."

Moral of the story: most likely if you are a good neighbor you'll most good neighbors. If not, you might get what you deserve, or
maybe more......... :D

Someone who abandons their home country cannot possibly be a good neighbor to anyone. :???:

Whitewing I believe this was many years ago.......There are many who left and put thier home country behind them and made awesome neighbors.....I know my grandparents did.

ps as for ginger she has always had plenty of water......not sure what caused it.
and yes I will be watching her closer from now on.

Where you come from does not make you a good or bad neighbor. I have had city folks that were no end of trobule for neighbors and others that are great.

Latest posts