• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New artist to me at Klamath Bull Sale

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I'm a little slow getting to this posting, but welcome Cat Dancing. Won't be long and we'll all be refering to you as CD.

I hope you post some of your art here.

I just got back from Buffalo Wyo and got to meet and take a tour of Mike Thomas's studio. he does some wonderful bronzes. He's working on one of Chris LaDoux. When the final one is done, it is supposed to be one and a half life size. The bronc is coming down with his front feet on a big guitar. Mike said that Chris's head will be thirteen feet in the air, while setting on the bronc.

I just love good art and have a lot of awe and respect for all the artists out there, wheather they work with oil, bronze, pen and ink or rawhide, leather, cattle, men and horses! :wink:

hi Jinglebob - I'm having a hard time figuring out how to post stuff here, but if you would like to see some of my work, you can go to my website at:
www.freewebs.com/finewesternart/index.html

It's still under construction, however some paintings are there.

Jinglebob said:
I'm a little slow getting to this posting, but welcome Cat Dancing. Won't be long and we'll all be refering to you as CD.

I hope you post some of your art here.

I just got back from Buffalo Wyo and got to meet and take a tour of Mike Thomas's studio. he does some wonderful bronzes. He's working on one of Chris LaDoux. When the final one is done, it is supposed to be one and a half life size. The bronc is coming down with his front feet on a big guitar. Mike said that Chris's head will be thirteen feet in the air, while setting on the bronc.

I just love good art and have a lot of awe and respect for all the artists out there, wheather they work with oil, bronze, pen and ink or rawhide, leather, cattle, men and horses! :wink:
Sorry you don't like water color.I quess I'll just tear up the one I was about to send you, :D :D

Mike Thomas is awesome. He did a bronze of Billy Wagoner, local cowboy with quite a reputation, after Bill passed away and you have no problem telling who it is. He is that good.

For those that have been through Buffalo, the life-size bronzes across the street from the bank are an example of Mike Thomas' work.

I wondered who you were going to see in Buffalo, Jinglebob. You picked a good one!!!!!!!!!

Glad you liked the work Mrs. G - Jinglebob's description of the bronze of Chris LeDeux sounds awesome. His death was indeed a loss to all of us. I don't think there was one song he did that I didn't like and I have the whole collection.

Does anyone out there remember a group singing western songs, called Bandana? They were in Reno for awhile, were going to release an album (GREAT sounds), but they were all killed in a plane crash. Don't know if this was before or after their album release. I'd sure love a copy of any of their work.

cat dancing

Well shoot, Juan! I do like watercolors. :cry:

I didn't go specificlly to see Mike, but it was part of the deal. I've been apprenticing to GK Fraker out of buffalo and he's been helping me to learn toi do Sheridan style leathercarving. Thats why I was in the neighborhood.

Never heard of the group. Too bad if they all were killed in a plane wreck. Seems lots of artists have died that way.

I see by your website that you too like good lookin' horses. Great art. Keep at it and do more for me to drool over. :)

I like watercolors too, once ya learn how to really use them, (NOT LIKE THEY TEACH YOU IN SCHOOL) always ended up with a big ole wet peice of paper in school, but after actually learnin that you can't use much water they work much better. I prefer watercolors over oil now. Still learnin, and hope to improve.

PPRM - thanks, I'll try photobucket. Hope you guys can come for the Wilderness Clinic first weekend in May - I'll be there with my work, as well as helping a friend do saddle fitting demonstrations.

Cat Dancing,

It took me quite awhile to figue the Photobucket deal out. Soapweed is the master at it I think. At least he uses it the most, LOL. I always enjoy his photo-journals. His wife seems to put up with it, LOL...

Haven't been to the Pack Clinic before, but our new shelters might warrent it. Seems like a lot of shows I have been to in the past, I'm not at, so maybe time to pick up a new one,

PPRM

PPRM - The wilderness clinic (pack clinic) draws much more people than the Bull Sale - they come from out of state alot. The entire indoor arena area is full of vendor booths. They have everything imaginable - including "full service" tents with stoves in them so your shelters would fit right in. They also have a schedule of demonstrations going all the time. Very, very interesting. I believe they are almost full up with vendors because it is so popular, so if you think you would go, now's the time to get hold of them. I'll be with another vendor in the booth (saddle fitting), so with her covering, I'll have more time to walk around and visit. The Bull Sale was pretty restricting and I didn't get much time to visit with folks (something I really like to do).

What part of the country are you in? I think your by-line says NE Oregon (don't know how to check that while I"m writing this) - anyway, my sister is in Monument, Oregon - by John Day. We are 1/4 Lakota Sioux and she was raised on the Kalispell Reservation in Montana.

Cat Dancing,

I live in Hermiston, up by Pendleton. Great place for folks that like to feed calves. I never guessed I'd make this my home as it seemed the summers were too hot. I grew up in Joseph, Oregon. 4100 foot elevation with 9,000 foot mountains all around it and the Hells canyon off to the east. A lot of my persistant charachter I think comes from growing up in that country.

I had friends from the Monument area. Rich Boyer, a saddle maker in Hermiston (and he makes great ones) cowboyed there a lot.

Our retired pastor, Jim Simpson, is also an artist. He does Landscapes. He mentioned doing animals and people requires more precision. He said ,"If I make a mistake, I can add a branch or tree." Can't do that when painting animals or people", LOL,

Glad you are enjoying this site, folks here do appreciate good talent. In some past threads, folks have posted thier work. Some folks here label themselves as amatuers, but are much more talented in my opinion. All in all it is a great place to share with some pretty neat and genuine folks.

I will see if the Big R is going to have a booth, they carry the shelter, if not maybe Heaton Steel,

PPRM

Cat Danceing

You Painting "The Long Way Home" reminds me :!:

When I was a teen we took our Horses to the Horse Shoer in the Big Red Barn at the Gwinn Ranch (Now the "Bear Ranch" Co. Park) - I'd leave Gilroy early AM with 3 Horses (leading 2 and astride 1) and I'd pick-up horses along the way - by the time I got to the Shoers I might have 10 to 17 horses on a long line - I'd sleep over night and deliver horses on the way home the next day.

Every thing was on a Hand Shake and trust that horse owners would come by and Pay the Shoer.

PPRM - I know boyer's store in Monument! Small world! The person you mentioned as painting landscapes is absolutely correct about animals. They are difficult in that one needs to know the basic skeletal structure of the subject animal, then the layering of muscles over those bones. The objective of this is to know exactly what happens to other parts of the body when a leg is extended, etc. That's what makes a painting realistic.

I picked my sister up in Monument and we went to the Bagpipe Festival in Athena a couple years ago. HOT! Too hot for me! I enjoy summers here in the Sprague River Valley at the 5,000 ft. level. Winters are a little rough sometimes, but it's worth it!
cat dancing

Nicky - to answer your question, I live in Sprague River, Oregon (about 50 miles from Klamath Falls).
Northern Dancer - I'm flattered you like the name Cat Dancing - another name I always liked was "Angel Sings". We had a horse named that one time. My other cowpony is called Mi Sochi and he is a little blue roan - he's great for doctoring cattle because he's short and easy to get on/off all day long!
cat dancing

Northern Rancher not Northern Dancer lol in my dancing days I crippled more women than polio-I dance like I'm in a hockey fight just hang on tight till the ref breaks us up.

Northern Rancher not Northern Dancer lol in my dancing days I crippled more women than polio-I dance like I'm in a hockey fight just hang on tight till the ref breaks us up.

Who ever bothered learning to Two-step, Leaning was always a lot more fun, :eek: :D :shock: :) :p :oops: :D :shock: ,

Didn't Kevin Costner star ina movie "Dancin with other guys geared up?"

Whoops, that was something else,

PPRM

cat dancing said:
Nicky - to answer your question, I live in Sprague River, Oregon (about 50 miles from Klamath Falls).
Northern Dancer - I'm flattered you like the name Cat Dancing - another name I always liked was "Angel Sings". We had a horse named that one time. My other cowpony is called Mi Sochi and he is a little blue roan - he's great for doctoring cattle because he's short and easy to get on/off all day long!
cat dancing

Harry Vold used to have a great saddle bronc called Angel Sings back in the 70's--I think he was voted bronc of the year a couple times...

Re: Angel Sings - the 70's would have been about the right time because I was married during those years and was really impressed that my husband thought up that name!!! Harry Vold, huh! See? The truth ALWAYS surfaces, even if somewhat late!

I think those dancing things were wolves, PPRM............... Loved the movie, but cried when the wolf got shot.

Latest posts