• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New BSE test?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Mike

Reaction score
Scientists discover the prion for BSE in urine
Judy Siegel-Itzkovich Jerusalem

A urine test can detect the prion that causes bovine spongiform encephalopathy (BSE) in animals and Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease (CJD) in humans, according to Jerusalem researchers who are developing a commercial kit for this purpose. Infected animals and humans can be identified even when asymptomatic.

The test might make it possible to save unaffected cows from slaughter when some in a herd have been found to be infected. In addition, it might be possible to identify carriers of the human variant and prevent them from donating blood, while other people could give blood even if they spent time in affected countries.

If prions cannot be detected in urine?;

This is partly my worry about science. Surely these scientists did not just make up this research out of the blue, that would be a sure way to ruin careers and throw futures down the drain. They must have had SOME kind of scientific evidence! Why lie about it?
Did a higher authority override their claims? Or were they just wrong?

I find it hard to believe that a scientist would put his name on research without any evidence whatsoever to back it up, while understanding that science is not always exact, or "sound".

Mike said:
If prions cannot be detected in urine?;

This is partly my worry about science. Surely these scientists did not just make up this research out of the blue, that would be a sure way to ruin careers and throw futures down the drain. They must have had SOME kind of scientific evidence! Why lie about it?
Did a higher authority override their claims? Or were they just wrong?

I find it hard to believe that a scientist would put his name on research without any evidence whatsoever to back it up, while understanding that science is not always exact, or "sound".

Try this out

This is partly my worry about R-CALF. Surely this beef organization did not just make up these comments out of the blue, that would be a sure way to ruin the beef industry and throw futures down the drain. They must have had SOME kind of scientific evidence! Why lie about it?
Did a greed override their common sence? Or were they just wrong?

I find it hard to believe that a producer would support these comments without any evidence whatsoever to back them up, while understanding that R-CALF is not always exact, or "sound".

Seems to work :wink:

Back to a serious note if we were to believe everything the science community is studing and the media picks up on we will drive ourselves crazy. This was something some research scienists were working on and the media was hungry for a story so they reported it only to find out later that the research was unproven. notice the part where it said "The test might make" The media reports a lot of unproven stories, out of the need to report before someone steals the headlines. If you can't find anything newer than two years old about a theory in this fast paced hungry for the scoop media world it is probably because even the reporters know this was a dead end story. Now if they bring it back with some proof then maybe we should believe this story is credible. But until then think of it as just another failed research study and be thankful that the scienists are leaving no stone unturned when it comes to research.

Latest posts