• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Bull!!!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Just got home from my buddies bull sale-I do the sight unseen buying there for him. He's got a great set of OXH 8020 daughters that I convinced him to breed to CJH L1 Domino 552. After the sale I went up and checked out his cowherd-they pawed out till 3/15 when they were brought in to calve. Well he has a 552 calf off his best 8020 daughter that he's going to use. She's sweet four perfect feet-great udder and an easy fleshing cow. Well I finangled a semen interest out of him-I can't wait to get him on some of our black cows he'll make great baldies. Ohh by the way-I'll be selling it also lol. Interesting Stan Jacobs bought all but one 552 in the sale to use on Douglas Lake's straight Hereford cows the other one went to a friend of mine who used his daddy A.I.

Good deal Northern R, how did the Really Windy calves sell? I would have like to been out there but we are having our winter now. After getting home from Regina he other night driving on that ice home looked pretty good.

I hear ya drove 700k yesterday on skating rinks-Murray didn't have any direct Really Windy sons in sale but 2nd high seller was out of a Windy daughter-he was my pick of the deal for all that's worth. It's nice to buy bulls from someone who runs them like a commercial man-nice hard muscled athletes-the bulls not Murray and Cam lol.BMR you better get me toA.I. some black cows to my new bull so I can buy the heifers back.

Could we have a conversation about Really Windy here?

We are planning to use grandsons of Really Windy to breed our first calf heifers to. Here is what we are looking at. The sire is a Really Windy son, Crook Mtn. Really Windy. CMRW's dam is a daughter of Hero 6267. Now the cow side of the yearling bulls are; Connealy Timeline by Dateline and the other one is by a daughter of Basin Max 602C. We have never used any of the Max cattle, the only reason we would consider it here is because for this breeder, 602C has desireable birthweights for use on heifers--78 lb. bw with 1.1 bw epd. There is some Rainmaker in this particular pedigree also. Then there is a son of 602C out of a Stevenson Royce 741C daughter. I am not familiar with that bull, but the actual bw is 70 lbs. and the bw EPD is minus .2

So what do you all think? We like our heifers to calve unassisted, if possible, and we have had pretty good success.

I think you should be pretty safe using that combination-the 100 percent calving ease bull hasn't been born yet but I think those should work good.

I can't help you to much Faster horses as I am wondering about Really Windy my self. I have used Rainmaker breeding and the were good calvers and made great females. I never used any Max breeding as at the time it was GT max and I felt they were bigger cattle than I wanted. I thought when you said you wanted all your Hfrs to calve unassisted Northern Rancher would have told you to get a Longhorn Ha Ha :cowboy:

AI'd from the original semen, by neighbor, dropping this spring. Think I might ask him to save and sell me a couple for my heifers next year. He got tired of paying the service charge.

I know I shouldn't, but I just have to reply to Northern Ranchers post and comment on the Longhorns. Years back we got tired of calving problems in first calf heifers so tried a longhorn. We picked out a stout, well made bull, just like we would for any other breed as we were assured that they would be easy calvers. They were right and the calves sold right along with the other calves. People who cuss small longhorn x calves always seem to buy a scrub bull and then wonder why they have scrub calves. And too many longhorn breeders cull for color or horn size instead of efficiancy.

I believe that this is one of the reasons longhorn x calves lost grace with the feeders, coupled with the fact that longhorns grow at a lower rate of gain, all tho' they use less feed, but take a longer number of days to get to the same weight as english x and continental breeds.

Most of the neighbors have gone to AI, to low birthweight angus bulls on their heifers and have been having good luck calving heifers and I guess they are happy with the weaning weights.

I like my longhorn f1 females and they work for me, but then I don't like to sell cows when they are 10 years old and prefer to sell them when they are 15 to 18 when they fail to calve. And they are not wild, but I don't tag. Just train on my cows! Thats why I have them, to make my horses better! LOL

I did shoot and butcher my last bull as he put me on a fence and wouldn't let me down. It was quite satisfying! And he was delicious! I won't keep any of his heifers either!

I know a guy down south of Edgemont who has old style black angus cows. Very small and feminine and he won't keep a heifer calf out of one untill they are 15 years old. His calves aren't the biggest, but his cows don't have to be replaced as often either. When I commented on the size of the weaning weights of his calves his reply was, "Calves all bring about the same per head. Lighter calves bring more per pound, heavier calves bring less." He doesn't feed any supplement in the winter as long as he has grass. I believe he calves later in the spring also.

My first f1 calves out of longhorns were red and white. Fed those bred yrlgs oats all winter as supplement. When the calves were born they had about 2.5-3" long hair. Hauled them to the hills in trailer with new straw bedding. Those puppies sold for $1.23 p/lb and weighted a little over 400"s. Afterwards I always bought well made blk longhorn bulls, dehorned the calves and they sold with the old cows calves. Can't remember the year I sold the red and white ones though. Still have some blk/white faced f1's in my herd of cattle. The cows longivity makes up for any lack of weight on the calf. Matching the calfs frame score and the demand on heifer, allows 2 yr old nursing hrs to raise a calf (coupon) and still finsih her growth. It keeps her out of harms way with the larger bulls. Althou I don't continue that practice, it isn't for lack of the programs merit. Oh and BTW, a live calf outsells a dead one every day.

Jinglebob I was just teasing lol-I even have the odd cow goes back to longhorn genetics in fact one of them raised me a Prime-Yield Grade 1 steer last year he gridded reallllllll good. I made that post not to belittle longhorns it was more tro brag up the size of our deer. Next time I get in your country maybe I'll stop by and you can show me your critters.

just as a reference, to put my 2 cents worth in (for what it's worth!), longhorns and longhornx cattle, IF they're fed right, can really bring back $$ as fat cattle: they have a lot of yield grade 1's and 2's, they grade a high % choice with minimal 4's. i think they are also really tough, so death loss is minimal also, but don't take that to the bank.

good cattle, just watch the horns going to kill---dehorn em as calves.

NR, come on down. We'll put on the tea pot and visit. Might even feed you a meal! LOL

Had a big ol' longhorn steer that I finally had to shoot this fall as he had a bad lump. Bought him as a yearling for a lead steer and kept him to see how big of horns he'd get. He measured 6 foot tip to tip, straight across. Stood a little over 15 hands at the withers. He would have been 9 years old this spring, I think. Wanted the beef, but settled for the head and hide, where he had lumpjaw. My own fault, I should have doctored on him when it first started, but he wasn't real keen about staying in a corral. He could clear a portable corral panel, flat footed. If you got him inside a shed he was fine and wasn't even wild, just didn't care to be penned up.

He never made a good lead steer as he wanted to stay with the cows and calves.

A good lead steer or cow takes most of the work out of moving or penning yearlings.

If you want a good read, read Longhorns by J Frank Dobie. Good reading and good history on the critter that started this whole deal in this western part of the country.

I've got a big old Corriente/Simmental lead steer here too-'Sweetums'-he's quite a character-I think he's going to get hamburged as he's geting kinda rough on the baby calves at times-he sure knows where the gates are but he's hard to keep away from the cows as he can jump like a deer.

I know about the jumping! Dos ( number 2 in Mexican as this was our second hatrack steer) wore a chain out that was hooked in his nose and it didn't stop him from jumping, but sure left some funny tracks in the snow. He also wore a cuff with a chain around one front foot for awhile till it fell off and that didn't stop him either. He never bothered much and always spent wintery nights during calving when the cows were close, in our old horse barn. It's only got a 3 foot door and he would tip his head to walk in and lay down and sleep in a stall! He would go into the shed if the door was open and any grain or hay that was left out, he always sampled. He never taught any cows to jump either, tho' I worried about it a little. He was always where the feed was good! Not real sure why I put up with him for so long, just for a pretty hat rack! :? :???: :)

We sure got lots of pictures of him and everyone that came would take a picture of him. Got so he would kind'a pose for them.

You better come visit and we'll compare stories. Just give me a heads up so I can have a pathway shoveled at the door so you can get into the house. Stuffs kind'a pilin' up around here on the inside. Momma went to town for her job the other day and has just stayed in because of the weather and distance, so the house ain't as clean as it could be. Don't know why these dang dogs don't clean up better around here! :shock: :lol:

Not sure when I'll get down there again it's only a 16 hour drive lol. I'd like to see John and Bonnie again as it's always a great time. This border deal has kind of ruined my annual bull delivery trip probably forever I'd imagine.

Big Muddy rancher said:
I can't help you to much Faster horses as I am wondering about Really Windy my self. I have used Rainmaker breeding and the were good calvers and made great females. I never used any Max breeding as at the time it was GT max and I felt they were bigger cattle than I wanted. I thought when you said you wanted all your Hfrs to calve unassisted Northern Rancher would have told you to get a Longhorn Ha Ha :cowboy:

Catching up on some of the posts, Longhorn LOL. I used them once and could only sell the calves to be roped. They were pretty calving, never knew what they would look like as they were little speckled things. No, I use low birth weight ANGUS.

Aww shoot NR, they'll get this all settled and you'll be back down with bulls! This border deal reminds me of two little fellers fightin' in the school yard. They'll get it all settled and go on and both learn something from it and get better and stronger from the "discussion"! At least, I hope so.

"What don't kill you, ought to make you stronger or smarter!"

Welll I just remember the little bureaucratic hoops you had to jump through when things were 'normal' between U.S. and Canada. Don't kid yourself state vets and such can invent regulations to support their own little agendas.

Well I guess I had better confess when I Changed from yearlings to cows I started by breeding lots of Hfrs and not buying cows so I have used Longhorn, Watusi, SanTa Gertudis and Brangus. The only real trouble I had was with the brangus as I had more hip lock with those bulls then any I have ever had. The Watusi were great calves solid coloured and athletic.Yes the long horn were colorful but not bad calves.I now use low birth wt. angus and the calves off the Hfrs fit right with the cows. :cowboy:

Latest posts