• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

new green deal

Help Support Ranchers.net:

She also wants to eliminate the combustible engine.
Sounds radical, but she has some old Democrats behind her. Stood right with her at a news broadcast, smiling up a storm.
Some democrats are putting distance between them and her....Nancy Pelosi is one.

She's causing quite a stir, even though she's a dolt.

Congress dressed their farting cows in white.....apologies to the real ones.

From the link.
"The National Cattlemen's Beef Association (NCBA) has been working to address sustainability through efforts like the Global Roundtable for Sustainable Beef (GRSB). Also, NCBA recently released a Cost/Benefit Principles that serves as a guide for decision-making on various policy proposals regarding climate change.
"Despite all the progress we've made on the environmental front in recent decades, some policymakers still seem to think targeting U.S. beef producers and consumers will make a huge impact on global emissions," says Colin Woodall, NCBA senior vice president of government affairs. "That's why we drafted our Principles – to give the folks who are proposing new public policies the opportunity to outline the specific costs and estimated benefits of their proposals."

Their Cost/Benefit Principles were pretty good. I appreciate that position.

As far as addressing sustainability through GRSB..........way too much WWF. Not buying it. Too many bad actors. Like joining the communist party to promote capitalism.....imo.

As Tracy Hunt said in his video, NCBA has already sold out American ranchers by allowing the likes of WWF to set an agenda that makes the (unproven) connection between global warming and your cows.

Angus 62 you have zero credibility when you just continually bash the NCBA. How about telling us all the awesome things your group has done to promote beef? How about telling us what you personally have done to help sell beef and to support our vocation?

Got back from the Denver this evening where the Colorado Independent Cattle Growers Association (R-CALF affiliate) spent the day lobbying legislators to support a bill being heard in committee on Friday that prohibits labeling of lab cultured protein (fake meat) as meat. This crap is being developed and funded by the NCBA's packer buddies Cargill and Tyson. We also met with a gentlemen who represents a group that is fighting wolf introduction in CO. Also met with the new CO Commisioner of AG and told her why mandatory animal ID (another NCBA favorite) will put some ranchers out of business. Have spent considerable time over the last several years working to bring COOL back because as it stands today, imported meat is being labeled as product of the USA. Again with NCBA support.

Did ranch chores long before daylight and long after dark. What did you do today to support the beef industry?

Why would mandatory animal ID put some ranchers out of business?

Don't know of any ranchers in Canada that have gone bankrupt from putting in an ear tag.

leanin' H said:
Angus 62 you have zero credibility when you just continually bash the NCBA. How about telling us all the awesome things your group has done to promote beef? How about telling us what you personally have done to help sell beef and to support our vocation?
I'm a member of Arkansas cattleman's.
Would you comment on the content of angus 62 comment from Tracy somebody that once you make the connection between cows and global warming, you've lost the argument?

More and more people are range calving in late spring here. They may check them once a day but cows calve on their own for the most part. They aren't chasing calves around trying to put a EID in their ear, in fact I see more and more calves coming through sales with no ear tags at all. I do this and haven't treated a case of calf scours for years and haven't had to vaccinate for scours in years. The purpose of EIDs is so the government can keep track of your cattle (as if it were any of there business) and as such you are supposed to notify them whenever they are moved from one location to another, which is what premise ID's are for. You do all this for free? The extra labor and expense would be more then a lot of small operators would put up with. The auction barns are dead against it because it would make sale day a nightmare. Who do you think would ultimately pay for that? Some US auctions can sell close to 10,000 head a day on sale day

A year ago I heard a presentation given by a guy that started a feed lot in Australia. He was eventually put out of business by the kind of regulations GRSB wants to impose. Six months after he had gone broke and returned to the US, the Australian data base showed he still owned seven thousand head of cattle. His message was that mandatory ID was a joke when it came to tracking cattle movement.

Whatever happened to being innocent until irrefutable evidence that you were guilty of something? The GRSB has already decided you are causing global warming, that is why they were formed. Even being a part of this group gives their claims a degree of legitimacy.

I calve late spring and now put in rfid tag at branding, used to wait until the next spring when I was retaining ownership and tagged before they left the ranch.

Pretty sure our border opened faster after BSE then if we didn't have Man ID

Angus 62 said:
Got back from the Denver this evening where the Colorado Independent Cattle Growers Association (R-CALF affiliate) spent the day lobbying legislators to support a bill being heard in committee on Friday that prohibits labeling of lab cultured protein (fake meat) as meat. This crap is being developed and funded by the NCBA's packer buddies Cargill and Tyson. We also met with a gentlemen who represents a group that is fighting wolf introduction in CO. Also met with the new CO Commisioner of AG and told her why mandatory animal ID (another NCBA favorite) will put some ranchers out of business. Have spent considerable time over the last several years working to bring COOL back because as it stands today, imported meat is being labeled as product of the USA. Again with NCBA support.

Did ranch chores long before daylight and long after dark. What did you do today to support the beef industry?

Thank you for being involved!!! I see lots of folks who hide behind a keyboard but don't actually do anything. While I disagree with a lot of what you are for, I want you to know I do appreciate the fact that you are passionate and involved. I attended a Beef Field day put on by the Utah Cattlemen's Association this week. Drove 180 miles to attend and enjoyed the seminars and even learned a few things. I have a blog and try to educate the public to the benefits of Beef, grazing, rural issues and public land grazing. And I just finished lambing and have another heifer to calve til they are done and can start on the cows. Will be rolling out hay and chopping ice this evening. I will post a few things about "fake meat" that the NCBA has posted when I get a free minute. (I do not belong to the NCBA) Thanks again for your efforts to promote beef.

redrobin said:
leanin' H said:
I'm a member of Arkansas cattleman's.
Would you comment on the content of angus 62 comment from Tracy somebody that once you make the connection between cows and global warming, you've lost the argument?

RedRobin I am not sure I understand what your asking me? Its probably cause I am not very good with English :D But what do ya want me to answer and i'll give it a shot?

I'll rephrase it. Does NCBA work for the cattlemen?
By aligning somewhat with those that are against us such as wwf I think they don't.
I think their stance on lab based , frankenmeat is weak .
I also don't appreciate their position COOL.
Possibly, we need a better Cattlemen's association.

redrobin said:
By aligning somewhat with those that are against us such as wwf I think they don't.
I also don't appreciate their position on COOL.

redrobin said:
it only as good as the members that show up to vote..they work really hard to abolish inheritance taxes

redrobin said:

I am not a member of the NCBA but I see the benefits. Their top 2019 policy priorities, taken from their website, are as follows-
1- Develop regulatory framework that protects health and well-being of consumers, prevents false and deceptive marketing, and ensure a level playing field for real beef products.
2- Promote a bilateral trade agreement with Japan, secure swift passage of the US-Mexico-Canada agreement, and expand the US beef market in China.
3- Protect scientific credibility of dietary guidelines and promote accurate information about the nutritional advantages of beef as part of a balanced diet.
4- Ensure full implementation of the 2018 farm bill.
5- Maintain ELD delay for livestock haulers and find a permanent solution to overly restrictive hours of service rules.
6- Finalize new water rule to replace the disastrous 2015 waters of the US rule.
7-Complete modernization of the endangered species act, national environmental policy act, and federal grazing regulations.
8- Promote antimicrobial stewardship of producers and preserve access to key veterinary technologies.

EVERY ONE OF THOSE ITEMS HELPs you and me. They aren't perfect at all. None of us are! But they are out in the lead to protect the interests of our industry. When you find a better option, join it. But since you and I benefit from the NCBA without even being members, why can't we cut them a little slack?

For what its worth, I think self driving cars are asinine. I think getting packages delivered by drones isn't feasible where I and many others live. I think that climate change has been happening since the planet was formed and that the smoke from one mis-managed wildfire puts out more pollution than all other man caused pollution each year. I think being sustainable means being a proud 5th generation rancher who live in an area that receives 13 inched of moisture TOTAL in a year. After all, if we weren't sustainable how in the hell can we still be here after a century? But what I think really doesn't matter does it? Folks who live in huge cities believe differently than I do on almost every issue. I recently won an Amazon gift card at work, I people were totally incredulous that I have never visited that site. And that's just people from little old Salt Lake City! My point is, we have to accept that terms like sustainable or natural have many different definitions depending on who is using the word. From 1977 til 2019 American ranchers are producing the same amount of beef with 33% fewer cattle! Why isn't that being talked about? US ranchers produce 18% of the worlds beef with only 8% of the worlds cattle! If every single person in America went vegan green house gasses would decline by a whopping 2.6%!!!!! And we all know that number is false as we would need more spinach farms, ect to replace beef as a menu option. That takes fertilizer and diesel fuel and electricity too. Plus, try growing veggies out here where I run cows! My cows eat inedible grass for humans and turn it into delicious protein and leather and many other by products. I guess my point is, we have to stop taking shots at organizations like r-calf or the ncba and stand together. I am looking at r-calf since I don't know much about them. My only issue is that they seem to simply attack the ncba and don't do a very good job of telling me what they can do for beef. But I am keeping an open mind and still doing some learning. Together, ranchers need to educate consumers that our products are healthy, tasty and sustainable. Together we need to show that ranchers are families feeding families, not "factory farms" like the greenies claim! Together we need to show folks how deeply we care for the land and water and wildlife! Or we can keep beating each other up and get run out of business. I live and ranch completely different than a guy in Arkansas or Colorado. But that doesn't and shouldn't make us enemies! It ought'a make us neighbors.

Thanks for speaking up with logic and research, leanin h and redrobin! While there is room for opinion, too, it sure is refreshing to have research and logic and even experience backing comments in a post!

So far as what went on at the NCBA convention, if one is a member, we can follow events on computer if we can't attend, AND we can vote on issues requiring a vote! It didn't work for us to do that this year (vote by computer, that is) I believe it is a good system for participation by members who can't attend, and gives wider access to participation. It, might even give critics a more sound basis for complaints, in that one would, or could have factual information on what is being said or done at the meeting!

I do know that if we do NOT know anything about wwf, we are in a weaker position than if we KNOW, rather than SUSPECT, their efforts. When we actually know what a group or individual is doing, we can better asses what, when, or if it will affect our business or life. Which makes us better able to counter that effort, if necessary and/or legal. Yelling "WOLF" too often, or when it isn't there causes one to lose credibility when we DO need help! BTW, how is NCBA 'aligned with' wwf?

Govt programs promoted to "help" us, consumers and producers alike, worry me! 'Why do some ranchers want government to fund a USA BEEF labelling program to compete with other USA citizen ranchers who already fund their own beef label????

While I can't recite 'date specific beginnings', I do know that NCBA has been against the use of "meat" or "beef" in the names of lab grown products from the start.

mrj

Latest posts