• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

new here and have a question

Help Support Ranchers.net:

would you pay for these services

• yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • no

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

hunt up up

Reaction score
Not trying to advertise i was just wondering if i could get an opinion on a business idea.I have been considering trying to start a pest control company, that specifically targets pest found on large ranches , horse farms, hunting land and properties of that sort. I would want to mainly target mosquitoes, flys, ticks, red bugs (chiggers) etc..I was just wondering if people would really pay for these services. I think it would be a help on cattle ranches , pay to hunt type game reserves , lease members and land owners in general. So if you could please leave your opinion and would you or anyone be willing to pay for these services. Thanks

One more things is it a problem to post this in a couple of the sub forums on the site?

we have weed and pest districts(actually fallow County Lines) we can buy herbicides and pesrticides at greatly reduced price, most produces used some resticted pesticides so they have a resticted pesticide liecense

Ask poeple who would be your clients and see what they say... Our problem is prairie dogs.... With being sooooo dry, the dogs are really running.. We check certain areas daily..

thanks for the reply. i would definetly get all the license and schooling needed. Or are you saying that the county takes care of it for you, or handle it own your own already and a private businees would not be needed in your area?

i came here thinking that some people on here would be potential clients or work for them or something along those lines..and i plan on going to local ranches and land owners and seeing what they say. I have also thought about adding a removal type service for hogs and other nuisance animals. I am from florida so i would have to do research on paraire dogs do they use traps or pesticides or is the only way to do it by hunting them?

hunt up up said:
i came here thinking that some people on here would be potential clients or work for them or something along those lines..and i plan on going to local ranches and land owners and seeing what they say. I have also thought about adding a removal type service for hogs and other nuisance animals. I am from florida so i would have to do research on paraire dogs do they use traps or pesticides or is the only way to do it by hunting them?

Nothing works on prairie dogs. You shoot 'em, poison 'em---they
are survivors.
The last creatures left on the earth would be a coyote or a prairie dog. :p :wink: :D

haha so if i find a way to get rid of them im a rich man lol.. On a serious note do you think if people were to hire a private business to put all there focus on them countywide or even statewide it would help at all, or is it just not worth the expense?I am clueless when it comes to prairie dogs haha

The problem you have with farmers or ranchers is that we are a jack of all trade masters of non. If i were you i would focus on the subdivisions in your area they are the ones that i think you could really capitalize on

I kinda figured that, thats how i was raised that you do everything for yourself so you don't have to hire it done.l just think that it would be worth it not having to stress over it. Although i know what you mean. Yeah in the county i live in they handle all the county roads for mosquitoes and there isnt any large subdivisions local so i will have to look into that..

Seems like a great idea, but sure would depend on where you locate the business.

Start small and grow would seem logical, practical, too.

'Out West' might not be as good a location as where more people are dependent on others to handle such issues.

Re. prairie dogs, there is the complication of both government agencies determined to protect them, and of people who do not understand the damage they cause to prairie grasses, diseases spread, etc., focusing only on the appearance of a cute, possibly even cuddly, litte 'harmless' animal those evil 'cattle barons' want to exterminate!

I do know of one country raised boy, who after completing a military career, went to work as a pest control (skunks, squirrels, snakes and such) in city who had as much success as he had time for!

The insects you mentioned would seem a logical addition to the pest patrols.

Wishing you every success in your venture.

mrj

mrj thanks for the reply and wishing me luck.. i plan to start it out small as im sure i would need to learn a lot of new things i just wanted to get opinions from people all over the country on what they thought. Yes i believe location would be very important in the beginning to ensure i was successfull enough to grow. I can picture it as a business that has the potential to expand as large and as far as i would like if i play my cards right, and put all my hardwork into it.

Again thanks for the replies everyone every opinion helps..

Have you looked at anything like a Terminex franchise?

I know they seem expensive but my daughter and SiL started with a Mr Electric franchise and now also have a Mr. Rooter. The company offers lots of expertise and insight on running a business and also a recognizable name.

thanks muddy rancher, no i haven't checked into anything like that it is a great idea ,and it automatically gives you a good name..I may have to consider starting out with something like that. I just dont know if i could target the specific pest i mentioned above and the ways i would like to. Althought it would give me the business experience and all the things that come along with it, so i will deff have to check into it. Thanks again

Latest posts