• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New Newsletter Attempt

Help Support Ranchers.net:

mytfarms

Reaction score
Hi All! I am indeed amongst the living. To cut to the chase, I am trying to get a little email newsletter out that is mainly geared towards young folks. People in their later high school and early college years would be the main target, er, focus. :D But, I certainly think having some more experienced people on board with this would be excellent for feedback as well. The point you ask? To get in contact with young people who are forward thinking and who are going to be tomorrow's business owners, politicians, and wave makers. I would like to discuss ag, but certainly want to include general business and politics as well so as to broaden out the discussion and ideas. This newsletter would primarily be a way for me to sharpen up my writing and networking skills and hopefully help other young people do the same. If you or someone you know wants or ought to join, just shoot over name and email to [email protected].. My first issue is due out next Monday with bi-weekly issues from there on.
MYT

And naturally, you may opt out at any time, no questions asked. :wink: Plus, since it's constructed from my own office chair, you don't have to read all the enhancement drug ads!!!

mytfarms

That certainly sounds like a noble venture.
But before I can recommend any young sculls full of mush subscribe to your newsletter I will first need to know a little more about you.
Do you have a bio posted some where?
SL

Sir Loin said:
mytfarms

That certainly sounds like a noble venture.
But before I can recommend any young sculls full of mush subscribe to your newsletter I will first need to know a little more about you.
Do you have a bio posted some where?
SL

:???:

He's been a long-time participant on this board who has earned respect through his experience and ambitions.

What more than that do you need to know?

Better credentials than a lot on here, has my approval and good luck.
If you want info go back and search his past posts :roll: :roll: :roll:

Thanks people. Personal references certainly help in determining a person character but I am more interested in his/her academic credentials.
SL

Sir Loin said:
Thanks people. Personal references certainly help in determining a person character but I am more interested in his/her academic credentials.
SL

Why? Book learning can only take you so far and shouldn't be a pre requisite for folks of any age to discuss subjects. If it were then most of us better log off this site. :wink:

I wish you God's speed with the newsletter Cade. Your enthusiasm and ambition for the Ag industry and life in general are very refreshing. We need more young people like you to be our future leaders.

Sir Loin said:
SL
You are kidding right? How often do you check the credentials of the papers and commentary you read? We are talking about a newsletter here not a technical paper. As for my credentials (just so you can decide whether reading this is important) I both read and write content in just such publications. Enjoy MYT, you will have lots of fun with this.

TB,
Re:
Why? Book learning can only take you so far and shouldn't be a pre requisite for folks of any age to discuss subjects.
I totally agree. But, I have absolutely nothing against book learning either. To me book learning is a good way to fill in the gaps between your experiences.

Re:
If it were then most of us better log off this site.
Again I agree and you can include me in that class! I have no sheep skin hanging on my walls. I'm a GEDer and proud of it. But that does not say I don't have some book learning. I just don't have a "formal education" by/from some university.
SL

hopalong

Re:
If you want info go back and search his past posts
Been there, done that! So far so good!
SL

PS: What state is "North West of Shortgrass" in??
It makes a difference when discussing Ag, does it not???????????

Sir Loin said:
TB,
Re:
Why? Book learning can only take you so far and shouldn't be a pre requisite for folks of any age to discuss subjects.
I totally agree. But, I have absolutely nothing against book learning either. To me book learning is a good way to fill in the gaps between your experiences.

Re:
If it were then most of us better log off this site.
Again I agree and you can include me in that class! I have no sheep skin hanging on my walls. I'm a GEDer and proud of it. But that does not say I don't have some book learning. I just don't have a "formal education" by/from some university.
SL

hopalong

Re:
If you want info go back and search his past posts
Been there, done that! So far so good!
SL

PS: What state is "North West of Shortgrass" in??
It makes a difference when discussing Ag, does it not???????????

Shortgrass
Rancher
Rancher

Per,
Re:
You are kidding right? How often do you check the credentials of the papers and commentary you read?
No I am not kidding!
When I am involved in a discussion of importance, I always consider the source as anyone can say anything they want, true or not. That is an "opinion".
Which is why I always quote the source and furnish the URL to back up my position when I state something as "fact".
SL

Re:
Besides we have known him since he was a "Poodle Groomer". Now he's a rancher.
Well that's not so good because it sounds like he has limited experience.
And I will take that into consideration when I read his/her first newsletter.
SL
PS: Is mytfarms male or female so I know how to address him/her??

Thanks people for helping me to put together a profile/Bio on mytfarms
So far I have:
Young
Male
Colorado
Well liked by all
Intelligence
Education: Unknown

Does he belong to any special interest groups?
Is he an FFA member? Other?
As a "rancher" what is his base of operation? Breeder, cow/calf, backgrounder feedlot etc etc?
Is he a first 2nd or 3rd generation rancher?

Does he engage in critical thinking?
Does he roll over when challenged?

SL

Sir Loin said:
Thanks people for helping me to put together a profile/Bio on mytfarms
So far I have:
Young
Male
Colorado
Well liked by all
Intelligence
Education: Unknown

Does he belong to any special interest groups?
Is he an FFA member? Other?
As a "rancher" what is his base of operation? Breeder, cow/calf, backgrounder feedlot etc etc?
Is he a first 2nd or 3rd generation rancher?

Does he engage in critical thinking?
Does he roll over when challenged?

SL

Had you done a thorough search through his posts, you would
know most of the answers to these questions.

He doesn't spend a lot of time here of late, cuz he's pretty busy,
but when he comes back, I'm sure he'll fill you in.

mytfarms said:
Hi All! I am indeed amongst the living. To cut to the chase, I am trying to get a little email newsletter out that is mainly geared towards young folks. People in their later high school and early college years would be the main target, er, focus. :D But, I certainly think having some more experienced people on board with this would be excellent for feedback as well. The point you ask? To get in contact with young people who are forward thinking and who are going to be tomorrow's business owners, politicians, and wave makers. I would like to discuss ag, but certainly want to include general business and politics as well so as to broaden out the discussion and ideas. This newsletter would primarily be a way for me to sharpen up my writing and networking skills and hopefully help other young people do the same. If you or someone you know wants or ought to join, just shoot over name and email to [email protected].. My first issue is due out next Monday with bi-weekly issues from there on.

MYT

Are you going to have a blog as well MYT ?
I look forward to reading your publications . :D

Anyone else read MYT newsletter?
I think he did a good job.
I saw a few things that could use a little help, but overall he did a good job for his first .
SL

Holy, holy, holy cows!!! :tiphat: You all can still rile up a pretty lively discussion I see. :wink: Well, I got your email Sir Loin. Obviously, my first attempt wasn't perfect. I wrote that in a half hour typing frenzy, edited it a bit, and then sent. Lot's of good replies from the readership on both improvements and what I did well. As far as my education, I am a senior in high school completing the distance learning program of Lighthouse Christian Academy. Currently, I have a 4.0 GPA and my cumulative over 4 years of high school figures out to 3.8 or 3.9. I just got a 31 on the ACT if that helps any. I have been involved with 4-H since I could drag a bucket calf around the ring (6 yrs. old) and recently received my 10 yr. 4-H pin for recognition of membership. As an edit, I have served as county Youth Council president and held numerous club and county positions on various 4-H related committees. As BMR sort of alluded to, this will be my final year grooming a poodle of a steer for county fair, and then it's on to college and bigger and better things. I have (hopefully) matured a little since I was getting into scraps with Kola (ah, good times) and I wished she could see what her little homeschooler cranked out on a national standardized test. I'm not exactly an intellectual and value common sense more than any ACT score, but as you said, knowledge is valuable. Knowing how to apply it is wisdom, and I hopefully can apply some of my knowledge in this newsletter. Y'all want that I should post 'er up here?
MYT

A couple other things I noticed. I do have a blog, but I'm not great at keeping it up. You can find it on mytfarms.com under the blog tab. Also, our operation consists mainly of a few older black and BWF cows that we trade off every few years and a solid "little" base of PCC, OCC, DDA, and such similar moderate, easy doing, and fertile Angus genetics. I have a couple roan cattle that I keep out of nostalgia and to break the monotony of solid black. We formerly ran 200+ head of short term cows but now run just as many short terms as we can find grass for, and I have mostly purebred cattle that could qualify as seedstock. Those that don't are making a pretty penny at the sale barn right now.

Latest posts