• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

New West(ern) TV Miniseries Coming Soon

Help Support Ranchers.net:

I hate most western movies as they can't seem to get the saddles or something right. And the plot is usually unbelievable. Being a cowboy, farmer or rancher would be boring watching to most.

As far as the horsemanship or lack there of, just watch a few of your neighbors or many teamropers sometime. Many of them are no better and I bet the average Joe, years ago would have been about the same.

As for speaking correct English, we don't speak english, we speak american. How many call a truck a "lorrie" or a toilet the "loo"?

Jinglebob said:
I hate most western movies as they can't seem to get the saddles or something right. And the plot is usually unbelievable. Being a cowboy, farmer or rancher would be boring watching to most.

As far as the horsemanship or lack there of, just watch a few of your neighbors or many teamropers sometime. Many of them are no better and I bet the average Joe, years ago would have been about the same.

As for speaking correct English, we don't speak english, we speak american. How many call a truck a "lorrie" or a toilet the "loo"?

Jinglebob- Boy do I agree- I see a lot fewer horses anymore that really "neckrein"--those that a touch on the neck and they would almost spin out from under you-- even some of the 4-H and show programs promote plowreining- won't allow the use of of hackamores or bosal for many classes- require certain bits for others....

As far as English or American goes I knew I lost it years ago listening to the kids- Then oneday I turned the TV to the Black Entertainment Channel, "hopefully that is the polical correct terminoligy for the day", and wasn't even sure I was listening to a language from the same planet.....

Oldtimer said:
Jinglebob said:

Jinglebob- Boy do I agree- I see a lot fewer horses anymore that really "neckrein"--those that a touch on the neck and they would almost spin out from under you-- even some of the 4-H and show programs
promote plowreining- won't allow the use of of hackamores or bosal for many classes- require certain bits for others....

As far as English or American goes I knew I lost it years ago listening to the kids- Then oneday I turned the TV to the Black Entertainment Channel, "hopefully that is the polical correct terminoligy for the day", and wasn't even sure I was listening to a language from the same planet.....

True Jinglebob, there is a major difference between English and American vocabulary. But the structure of the language is the same. Our children who aren't taught to express themselves with precision are at a distinct disadvantage in the world.
Example:
Our children, ya' know?, who aren't kind of taught, you know, how to talk...uh... ya know? They're at a sort of...you know...well they don't have an advantage. You hear what I'm sayin?"

nr said:
Oldtimer said:
Jinglebob said:

Jinglebob- Boy do I agree- I see a lot fewer horses anymore that really "neckrein"--those that a touch on the neck and they would almost spin out from under you-- even some of the 4-H and show programs
promote plowreining- won't allow the use of of hackamores or bosal for many classes- require certain bits for others....

True Jinglebob, there is a major difference between English and American vocabulary. But the structure of the language is the same. Our children who aren't taught to express themselves with precision are at a distinct disadvantage in the world.
Example:
Our children, ya' know?, who aren't kind of taught, you know, how to talk...uh... ya know? They're at a sort of...you know...well they don't have an advantage. You hear what I'm sayin?"

Ya know, thats what, like ya know, I'm sayin', dude!

This has been going on ever since the inception of this country. I think most of us can talk better than we do as we don't want to be stuffy. In Spanish, there are ways of talking for the public and a more familiar ways for close friends and family. I think AMERICAN is getting that way also.

I'm sure the indian tribes all wish we would have learned their languages and ways also! :shock: :lol:

And also the Spanish speaking populations in the southwest who first came to this land. But hey, the winners get to write the history books and use their language!

I'm glad to see that there are others like me..... Movies with horses, I watch the horse, even going down the road if I see someone riding I can tell you the markings on the horse, bridle and all tack. But don't ask me who was riding because I can not tell you. Have you guys seen that commercial where the guy is on a horse and says," But sir I was wanting a mustang!" And the guy slaps the horse on the rear and the next scene is a guy on a bucking horse. A differant horse. :shock:

Latest posts