• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

News from Valentine

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Tommy, I will admit that NCBA has come around to a more realistic approach to the cattle business of the United States. They had gotten a tad bit too far out in La-La Land, and I do give credit to R-Calf for helping to bring the NCBA back to its senses. That said, I still believe that NCBA is way more on track for our Beef Industry than is R-Calf. NCBA looks at the broader picture, and takes a more positive and pro-active approach. They are working on many issues that affect ranching. One that is very pertinent is their desire to eliminate the "death tax" which will help all beef producers and main street businesses. The beef check-off has borne many fruits, and if the R-Calf boys succeed in their attempt to get rid of it, the outcome will come back to kick us all in the backside.

My "beef" against R-Calf is their stance of trying to sue their way to success. There is nothing to be gained by one vital necessary facet of our beef industry (cow-calf producers) pitting against the other vital necessary facet of our industry (the packers). This just takes money out of the industry and lines the pockets of lawyers. Peter robbing Paul, or cutting off our nose to spite our face. There is no logic to it. Instead we need to increase consumer demand. That is where any new money will come to the beef industry as a whole. We need to keep the check-off, and do all we can to promote the tastiness and nutritiousness of BEEF. The R-Calfers argue that it does no good to advertise generic beef. The flip side of the coin is that it DOES do good to promote beef, which is "name brand" and not "generic" when in competition with pork, poultry, and the fish of the sea.

One thing about it, we love America and our inherited privileges of having our many benefits. We love our freedom of speech, and our freedom to belong to the organizations of our choice. Thank you, Tommy, for serving in Viet Nam and fighting for our country to preserve these wonderful freedoms.

[
Soapweed, "My "beef" against R-Calf is their stance of trying to sue their way to success."

I, too, share your disdain for lawyers and lawsuits. However, I don't see any other way to fight the battle. The packers have the money, the USDA has the power, and both of them have agendas that conflict the US cattleman's. What other avenue is there to take?

Didn't make it to Vetal. My date had a heifer calving and I was kind of tired, anyway. You would of been safe. :wink:

Canadian cattle do have some credibility in the world market. Macau, although a small market, is wide open to Canadian beef, no restrictions. Also, as I am sure you are aware, Hong Kong has been open to select cuts as of November 2004. Mexico would lead us to understand that they would be happy to take Canadian live cattle except for the fact that the US has threatened to retaliate by reducing Mexican imports.

As cattle producers on both sides of the border, we can only hope that common sense prevails and even better, that we work together to find a solution to the fact that farmers are struggling to get paid for their product.

Good post Soapweed!

Soapweed: "The R-Calfers argue that it does no good to advertise generic beef."

Yup, that's what they say then turn right around and argue for the advertising of US "generic beef" after claiming to be in the "cattle industry".

"NO COMRENDE'"

I wonder how many R-CALF members actually think about what R-CALF says? It can't be very many because if they did they would realize how often R-CALF contradicts themselves.

One day it's "USDA does not care about food safety" and the next day they are comparing USDA's BSE testing numbers with Canada.

One day we would be in a very favorable position without any trade and the next day they claim to want fair trade.

I have never seen such a bunch of hypocrites!

Sandhusker: I didn't make it to Vetal. My date had a heifer calving and I was kind of tired, anyway. You would of been safe."

BMR (in response): "SANDHUSKER, DOES YOUR WIFE KNOW YOU HAD A DATE"

Sandhusker (in response): "She knows and doesn't mind as long as my date's name is "Bill"!"

That's pretty sick dude! LOL!

~SH~

She knows and doesn't mind as long as my date's name is "Bill"

Frisky Sandhillers

Latest posts