• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Nice day for a cattle drive (photos)

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Jinglebob

Reaction score
We went to Billings to see our middle son and his wife and help our grandbaby celebrate his first birthday. While there, I found a camera that was affordable. Not real small, but will fit in a shirt pocket. Decided to take a leaf out of Soapweeds book and take it along today. Hope you enjoy.

I went up to the neighbor who my youngest son and wife are working for this spring. Both the kids were riding colts. It was an easy drive and we didn't go real far so it was good for the colts and kids. Both colts have about 15 to 20 rides on them.
They brought the older cattle home for calving. The feller they are working for, lost his wife in a car wreck about a month and a half ago and he's really enjoying having two young kids there to help and pester him. Been a good deal for all concerned. We didn't have to move them very far and there were already 6 or 7 cows who had calved in that pasture. The weather has been good, so it hasn't been a problem for them. We all had an enjoyable day, but the dang photogrepher sure wasn't as good as Soapweed!

53b4f6f1.jpg
This is where we started pushin the cows to the south. Sorry Soapweed for stealing your "ears" idea! :oops:
100_0092.jpg
Jinglebob Jr on Victor. I nmaed him after on of the characters in the movie "Smoke signals" and you prounounce it like you lived on the res! :wink: He's 3 this spring and another young man worked wioth him about 15 days in the past year. My "colt rider" is taking him along easdy so an old fat man can get along with him. I'll bet Saddletramp would just love him! :wink:
100_0103.jpg
Mrs Jinglebob Jr on Dean. She is the only one that has messed with this horse very much and he's coming along good. Just kind'a skinny. Yup, the horse! :wink: :oops: He is pinning his ears and really wants to follow cattle. She complained that he justr wanted to pick out one and follow him! I told her to let him!
100_0110.jpg
This is the view to the south. Thats the rolling banks of Red Owl Crick in the distance. Pic is a little dark, but hey, I'm new at this! :x
100_0112.jpg
Observing the posted speed limit! :shock:
100_0113.jpg
Thats the boss in the background, watching them file in the last gate.
100_0115.jpg
"The cook" being a smart eleck! She is a pretty good cook. Both of the guys have had to order new pants in larger sizes! :lol:

Good photos, Jinglebob. Keep on keeping on clicking those pix. Looks like your daughter-in-law likes getting her picture taken about as well as the ol' Kosmo Kid. As we were unsaddling this evening in the beautiful 45 degree calm wind condition, I told ol' Kosmo to save this moment in his memory bank. If he joins the Rangers, as is his plan, it might make a good memory sometime when he is near exhaustion from a long run. He said he would do it.

Good thinkin'! I've been fortunate in that I've never been too far from home for too long, but remembering the good days always helps a feller out. :)

Thanks for the pictures jinglebob,looks like you have some good help too,keep em coming,you got the hang of that picture taking now..............good luck
PS good lookin cattle.

You are doing great Jinglebob. It looks like you enjoyed your day a bunch! I suppose it is getting to be the time of the year for bouncing baby calves again. Our ground is froze HARD here as we didn't have any snow on the ground to insulate it from that last cold spell.

That was a sad deal with the wife dieing in the car wreck. As I heard it she was going in to jury duty, just doing her civic duty. I don't know the family involved, but heard they are good folks.

That old pasture looks a little picked over- looks like it needs a good shot of moisture and some warm weather to get things going again........

Tap said:
You are doing great Jinglebob. It looks like you enjoyed your day a bunch! I suppose it is getting to be the time of the year for bouncing baby calves again. Our ground is froze HARD here as we didn't have any snow on the ground to insulate it from that last cold spell.

That was a sad deal with the wife dieing in the car wreck. As I heard it she was going in to jury duty, just doing her civic duty. I don't know the family involved, but heard they are good folks.

Yup, you heard right. On both. They used to live on our ranch for ten years as I was growing up, so more like family than neioghbors, Only I like them better than most of my family. :oops:

And yes Oldtimer, we could sure use some moisture, but some of these fellers who are calving are going to pay for it.

Dad always said, "The good Lord will send as much moisture as we need and evidently some years he figures we don't all need that much!"

Faster horses said:
Very enjoyable pictures, Jinglebob!

Thanks for sharing!

One question: why is your son Jinglebob Jr. and his wife is also Jinglebob Jr? Or did I just read something wrong...

You have to read high and to the right on each picture. It actually said "Mrs. Jinglebob, Jr."

And so it did!

I read some over there, but missed that one. DUH...

BTW, Jinglebob, those are happy looking horses!!!
It's a good deal to have young people around. We all need them.

Sorry the fellow lost his wife, but happy there is someone near to share each day with.

Soapweed: Excellent advice to your son on saving that memory. Too often we take for granted the moment at hand. It says a lot about your sons character that he is considering joining the Rangers at a time like this and best of luck to him.

Jinglebob: Nice pictures of the Herefords. Thanks for sharing.

Good pictures Jinglebob. If I'd a known you had a new camera I'd have tried to get you to go with me last sunday. Had fellow call me that wanted to learn about making rawhide so we headed up to Kevins to spend the day. Went past where your boy is working and saw a heifer getting ready to calve along the fence and a new calf with her when we came back. I took some pictures while at Kevins but I have to do it he old fashioned way and get them developed.

Great pictures Jinglebob

Nice to see the young couple able to work outdoors together and do what they obviously enjoy. They're using real good looking gear too.

Also enjoyed seeing the hereford cows

Really nice pictures...nothing nicer then a bunch of Herfs.Smoke signals,real nice horse,Greg and I prefer colour on our horses!!

Good pictures Jinglebob. Keep them coming. I especially liked the 2nd one and the Herfords coming down the road. I like to take landscape pictures and like a nice background. I am kind of rusty with my picture taking right now. Haven't got any good ones with the Digital comera. I did have a Sony FD that I sorta liked it but some SOB stole it.

k_ranch said:
Great pictures Jinglebob

Nice to see the young couple able to work outdoors together and do what they obviously enjoy. They're using real good looking gear too.

Glad you like the gear they were using. I built their saddles and chinks. They seem to like it too, tho' my son told me yesterday that he's going to have to put in an order for an new, bigger saddle. Sure is funny how them young fellers "beef" up when they get married! :wink:

Jinglebob said:
k_ranch said:
Great pictures Jinglebob

Glad you like the gear they were using. I built their saddles and chinks. They seem to like it too, tho' my son told me yesterday that he's going to have to put in an order for an new, bigger saddle. Sure is funny how them young fellers "beef" up when they get married! :wink:

I have to say, if a movie set ever needed a good looking cowboy and wife they couldn't do better than your Chance and Hope, even with her tongue stuck out! Those chinks you made her are goodlooking, too.

Latest posts