• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

No Good Deed Goes Unpunished......

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Justin said:
hillsdown said:
Wonder which local livestock hauler called and complained ..

happens more than you'd think around here :? :mad:

if it ever got out who called i would think that there would be a corresponding loss of business

i would hope that the ticket gets challenged in court

Just out of curiousity, how many of you know of a commercially plated stock trailer/hauler ~ 24' or less ?
None here in the extreme SW corner of SK.

Does this encroach upon non-stock ... for example helping someone move their household belongings or back to livestock; rodeo contestants?

(disclaimer: I don't even know the rules for SK ... besides private pots/tri-axles/grain trailers running on farm fuel with someone else's cattle or grain being a no-no)

Lets hope someone in power has common sense and will make the needed changes to stop this!

I had an Indiana State trooper tell me I could not carry a firearm in a vehicle with commercial plates. I took the matter up with the head of Indiana DOT who just said he didn't know so I went all the way to the goveners office. If you have a legal concealed carry permit in Indiana you can carry in a commercial vehicle but if you are stoped you are encouraged ( not required by law ) to disclose ( not show ) that you have a permit and weapon.

The State Trooper was required to go to a training session and was required to call me and apologize.

I'm glad it happened the way it did as he told me if he had pulled me over for anything ( including inspection ) and he had found me in possession of a firearm I would have been jailed. It turns out he had jailed a few before me and they did not fight it. Lost their weapon, lost their permit, fined and have a criminal record!

The govenors aid stated he was going to try to go back and correct the other issues but I doubt that happened!

Yeah, DH just read it too. It is a big thing down here, a lot of guys just get together and haul each other's cattle. Some places they run 3-500 head and don't have a corral where you can get into with anything larger than a 20' trailer, anyways. I think for a load of 13 head that they are taking the just a bit too literally, for sure.....

The day of common sense is GONE!! Like George said, I hope someone higher up has the common sense to throw this out. Saying that, around here there are a lot of people that think they can get around all the required permits and licenses and haul for hire. I haul a few loads a year for neighbors, and charge them for it. One time of getting stopped will end that.

We used to haul for our neighbors.. We don't no more.. Just to much red tape and if you get stopped it's ugly.. Hubby is now fighting his head over the fact that he has to take a drug test schooling so he can keep trucking for ourselves. He has a brother and carter who have CDLs and so there for since hubby is the primary trucker and president, he is responsible.. All a bunch of crock for a farmer/rancher..

And then people ask with amazement, "why people won't help?" Because our legislators are legislating out common sense and goodness.
By all means, someone making a trip to the yards every week or two with dyed fuel and no insurance should be taken to task, the occasional trip for a neighbour or favour exchange should be tolerated. The cattle industry doesn't work like the power supply business....you can't just tack on more money every time in goes through someone else's hands!
Also checked with my insurance agent the other day to see if I was covered for the load of cattle should something happen…..it is tricky, and probably not……so what happens if you have a real wreck and lose a $15000 load of your neighbour's cattle?

Latest posts