• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

No inventory

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Northern Rancher

Reaction score
Made a 170 mile round trip for fence supplies today-Ty cleaned the farm supply out of posts and wire. Kind of irritating but Paradise hill Farm supply where we went hasn't failed us yet. Going to try some aluminum 12 1/2 gauge smooth wire-it's more money but is easier to work with and is very shiny so deer see it better-more conductive too. Guess we'll see. Wish I could be out helping but I'd probably staple myself to a post lol.

Is it going to be electric? I've got a pasture rented that has it and any place it arc's it ends up breaking or burning off.Cow's were 2 miles down a tar highway for that very reason on that very pasturelast saturday morning wasted 1/2 a daytrailing cows and fixing fence. I don't like the stuff.

Stretches easily and gets slack too. Hate it.

I'd rather use the flat electric fence "tape" looking stuff. If a limb falls on it, just get the limb off & it's good as new. They can see it REAL well.

Electric fence works great if built properly-all our new fence are a combination of barbed and smooth. Barb at twelve inches- smooth at 20-barbed at 28-smooth at 36. The two smooth are electrified so cattle don't rub on the barbed-the barbed are there so if we do lose power the cattle will still stay in and in winter also. I can't think of a ranch up here that doesn't have a signifigant amount of electric fence on it.

Faster horses said:
hillsdown said:
I thought you were posting about the diesel shortage here . :(

Hillsdown, you have a diesel shortage there? Really?
Details, please! First I had heard of it...

My son called me last Sat. and said trucks were sitting in Weyburn with no fuel to be had. He filled up at a little place he usually gets fuel and I got diesel ordered from where I get it. My son went to Alberta Sunday and home Monday but didn't mention having trouble getting fuel. This happened about a year ago as well, something about feuding refineries . I haven't heard if it has anything to do with the explosion at the up grader in Regina. :?

Big Muddy rancher said:
Faster horses said:
hillsdown said:
I thought you were posting about the diesel shortage here . :(

Hillsdown, you have a diesel shortage there? Really?
Details, please! First I had heard of it...

My son called me last Sat. and said trucks were sitting in Weyburn with no fuel to be had. He filled up at a little place he usually gets fuel and I got diesel ordered from where I get it. My son went to Alberta Sunday and home Monday but didn't mention having trouble getting fuel. This happened about a year ago as well, something about feuding refineries . I haven't heard if it has anything to do with the explosion at the up grader in Regina. :?

I shouldn't say this, but......it's that dang "Iraqi war for oil" ....... :???: :???:

i believe some oil company exec/hobby rancher got too much money for his calves and figured that if all the ranchers were making that much they could afford more for diesel. whenever prices go up by 10% inputs go up 20%

Talked to our fuel guys yesterday and they said that the Regina refinery had a lot of capacity offline, and that the other companies were running low/slow.
The COOP cardlocks have a 600 litre per day restriction on their cards to try to ration it a bit, but at 4 - 5 MPG that doesn't get you many miles in a big truck.
The delivery guy was sitting as they were waiting for more fuel to come in to fill some orders on the bulk side. (Actually he was cleaning around the cardlock and praying for a diesel delivery to get there :lol: )

From 630 CHED website : Refinery production slow down causing diesel shortage
1pm
Click here to email Brenton Driedger
10/28/2011

If you drive a vehicle that runs on diesel, you better fill up while you can.
There's a shortage of diesel right now. Some stations in central Alberta had run dry as of Friday morning, and we're awaiting a shipment of the fueld.
The shortage is being blamed on a scaling back of production at Edmonton's Suncor refinery. Suncor says that's because its hydrogen supplier is running low.
Don't expect things to get better any time soon.
"The date we've been provided by our third-party hydrogen supplier is around November 19th," said Jason Vaillant, communications officer with Suncor, Friday. "We're still at least a couple weeks away, but we're going to continue to work as hard as we can to make sure that there's some supply in the market, and we're doing that as we speak."
For now, Suncor is rationing diesel for its Petro-Canada stations. The shortage affects retailers from Edmonton all the way to Thunder Bay. (bd, bp)

The fuel shortage last time was caused by one refinery being closed for upgrades and the other one was closed due to a fire, that was back in the summer/fall of 2009 .

I have also heard rationing being done at UFA in Northern locations as well.

Hopefully they get it figured out soon, would hate for things to come to a stand still when we are all just getting back on our feet from the economic slow down. :???:

Latest posts