• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

No music so sweet . . .

Help Support Ranchers.net:

burnt

Reaction score
. . . as the sound of rain pounding down on the barn roof after a dry spell!

We just got 1/2 inch. Not exactly a drought breaker but it will put some kernels on the corn cobs and a few beans in the pods. I doubt if it is enough to start the grass up again.

The radar shows that we were just inside a little band of rain about 10 miles wide so once again it was extremely local. But at least it was our turn as the most recent showers went by either side of us.

Glad you got some rain! I hope you get more soon! I noticed a few people around here starting to hay their cows already. :shock:

Man I do feel for you guys. We have had more than our share and the thunder and lightning in the west and that wonderful smell means there is more coming. I hope all of you south of here get some as it is still fresh in our minds what it was like.

We're in the same boat as North Ridge. Standing water in our canola again this year, have been getting about two inches a week. The canola that is there is good though. It will be nice to have a respectable crop. In the last four or five years we've gotten alot of water.

I'm glad for you Burnt. Hope it's a good start.

After 3 weeks of abnormally hot weather we are now getting scattered showers and thunderstorms, must be hay time. :roll:

It does look good on our little oat patch. 3/10 in three days and more expected.

Well we are most fortunate to have received 3" of rain in total this week. 3 INCHES!

It's amazing how fast it soaked in and I think another 3 inches would disappear just as quickly.

Time will tell if it came in time to help the corn but I think it looks O.K. The soys will do their thing anyway since they flower for most of the summer.

The grass and hay ground are likely going to come back for some late summer and fall grazing. But hay is in very short supply with a recent hay auction seeing prices starting at 14 cents/lb and going as high as 19 cents.

So that would explain why c/c pairs topped out at $1850 today for cows with 3-400lb. calves beside them. Most were $1500 - $1600.

I was sitting on my hands in a daze when some black 2nd and 3rd calvers bred for Feb. calving went through at $800 - $900. :shock: :shock: :shock:

But so was everyone else. That just shows how short feed is in this part of the country.

But the week's rain might change things before too long.

Good news!

My cousin near London posted pictures on Facebook of their downpour. If you got anything close to what they got, you'll be doing a dance. :D

We've had a couple of those "just in time" rains now. So far it's kept things moving along. We're very grateful for every bit of it.

Latest posts