• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

No rain all summer and now this:

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Faster horses

Reaction score
NE WY at the foot of the Big Horn mountains
We got an inch of rain today, which was great. But not this:

Winter Storm Watch
from Mon 11, 12:00 AM MDT to Wed 13, 12:00 AM MDT
Winter Storm Watch issued October 09 at 3:42PM MDT until October 13 at 12:00AM MDT by NWS Riverton
Absaroka Mountains; Bighorn Mountains Southeast; Bighorn Mountains West; Cody Foothills; Owl Creek and Bridger Mountains; Salt River and Wyoming Ranges; Southwest Big Horn Basin; Teton and Gros Ventre Mountains; Wind River Mountains East; Wind River Mountains West; Yellowstone National Park
...WINTER STORM WATCH IN EFFECT FROM LATE SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY EVENING...
* WHAT...Heavy snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 6 to 10 inches possible in the Cody Foothills, with accumulations of 12 to 18 inches in the high terrain. Winds could gust as high as 35 mph.
* WHERE...Portions of central, north central, northwest and west central Wyoming.
* WHEN...From late Sunday night through Tuesday evening.
* IMPACTS...Travel could be very difficult to impossible. The hazardous conditions could impact the morning or evening commute.
Monitor the latest forecasts for updates on this situation.
WINTER STORM WATCH
To: Wed 13, 12:00 AM MDT
See more

Alerts
Moderate
Severe
Extreme

NOW

12:30 AM

1:40 AM

2:50 AM

10:10 PM

Hey you live in Wyoming. It could snow at any time. Well maybe not on the 4th of July.

Back in July 04 I was doing a solo road trip. I stopped up on top of Bighorn Pass. There was several camp trailers with Florida plates. It looked like grand parents, 2 of their kids with their families. Everyone but grandpa was out playing on an old snow drift. He told me that it was their first time in life seeing snow. Looking out over the mountains he said, "these mountains are probably all covered with snow in the winter." I replied, "this is Wyoming. The entire state is covered with snow in the winter."

We are on the northern edge of the predicted storm. Still waiting for 600 tons of wheat straw to be delivered that might allow us to keep most of the cows another year. I may have to let the cows down to the hay fields where I had planned to stack the straw further complicating things. If the drought is followed by the cold hard winter they are predicting, this might be my last year of ranching. I'm definitely feeling too old for this sh_t!

Fixing to hammer us as well. Snow was dusting the mountains of central Utah Friday and Saturday. This Tuesday storm will pack a punch. Expecting over a foot in the Uinta mountains and over 6 inches everywhere over 8000 feet. The high here Wednesday is forecast at 41F😳😁

BMR,I think this will miss you. Heck, Buffalo, 20 miles south is only predicted to get a couple of inches.
This is the update. Maybe it will only bring us 4". At least they have backed off 18". I keep thinking of
the Atlas Storm in SD on Oct. 3 that lasted for 3 days and devastated things there. 26" to 58" of snow fell
with wind gusts up to 70 mph. I don't think it was predicted. Those are the ones who will really get ya.
We went through a terrible storm like that in 1973.

Sorry, 'H. I hope it isn't as bad as they are saying. Guess we will know Thurday.
Stay safe!!

WINTER WEATHER MESSAGE
National Weather Service Billings MT
641 AM MDT Sun Oct 10 2021

MTZ036-058-138-169-WYZ199-111245-
/O.CON.KBYZ.WS.A.0003.211012T0600Z-211014T0000Z/
Powder River-Southern Rosebud-Southern Big Horn-Bighorn Canyon-
Sheridan Foothills-
Including the locations of Broadus, Biddle, Powderville,
Sonnette, Lame Deer, Ashland, Birney, Lodge Grass, Pryor, Wyola,
Sheridan, Dayton, Ranchester, and Big Horn
641 AM MDT Sun Oct 10 2021

...WINTER STORM WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM LATE MONDAY NIGHT
THROUGH WEDNESDAY AFTERNOON...

* WHAT...Heavy wet snow possible. Total snow accumulations of 4 to
12 inches, with locally up to 20 inches in the Bighorn foothills
and Sheridan foothills, possible.

* WHERE...In Wyoming, Sheridan Foothills. In Montana, Southern
Rosebud, Southern Big Horn, Powder River and Bighorn Canyon.

* WHEN...From late Monday night through Wednesday afternoon.

* IMPACTS...Roads, and especially bridges and overpasses, will
likely become slick and hazardous. The weight of snow on tree
limbs may down power lines and could cause sporadic power outages.
Travel could be very difficult to impossible in some locations,
especially at night.

Snowing to beat hell here at the house tonight. Started as rain about 5 and has switched to snow at 9 pm. Calling for anywhere from 3-9 inches here and 18+ in the mnts. Here we go

We didn't get much more in the night after the 12" we got Monday night. Supposed to be in the 60's by Sunday
and then that or close to that all next week. This will go in the ground as it wasn't frozen. That's SUPER! Now to clean up broken tree branches. Some businesses in town were without power yesterday.
Stay safe, everyone. Good luck to you sorting cattle today, BMR.

A foot?! Wowie, that is great especially with the warmer temps coming. We had a cooldown, 40's and low 50's the last few days, and wind of course. Took the cows to the BLM yesterday, had lots of clothes on and was still chilly. They've got some green on the river and temps are supposed to be in the 60's for at least a week so they should be happy. Still drier than dry here.

We had a bit of snow last night and a bit of rain but it held off while we gathered and sorted. Had 300 pair gathered and trailed home and sorted by noon. Even stopped for a cup of coffee. Nobody could believe how well the cows moved this morning, 4 of us on horse back sorted cows from calves. 4 more on foot split the calves. We had lunch, loaded up and on the road by 2.

Our drought was broken about three weeks ago after the 5th cutting of hay and we have had several long moderate soaking showers of rain. We had another beauty last night. They cut off the ditch about 3 weeks ago and sprinklers winterized. No frost yet although very cool nights in the mid-'30s and days struggling to hit 65. Some winds but not terrible and warming sun now and then.

We are on the northern edge of the predicted storm. Still waiting for 600 tons of wheat straw to be delivered that might allow us to keep most of the cows another year. I may have to let the cows down to the hay fields where I had planned to stack the straw further complicating things. If the drought is followed by the cold hard winter they are predicting, this might be my last year of ranching. I'm definitely feeling too old for this sh_t!
Are you going to use molasses or are you going to mix it with something else?
If it makes you feel any better I'm standing on pretty thin ice myself but I will try to encourage you and say everything will be alright. I dont know how or when but God keeps making a way for me where there was no way so i just try my best to keep faith and be posative.Haha You wouldn't believe the crap going on in my life. I dont even believe it 100% hahaThere is always next year.

Are you going to use molasses or are you going to mix it with something else?
If it makes you feel any better I'm standing on pretty thin ice myself but I will try to encourage you and say everything will be alright. I dont know how or when but God keeps making a way for me where there was no way so i just try my best to keep faith and be posative.Haha You wouldn't believe the crap going on in my life. I dont even believe it 100% hahaThere is always next year.
I appreciate your attitude. It's much better now. Everyone has something going on in their life, but some things are worse to deal with than others. Family, for one. Hang in there!!

Latest posts