• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

NO USDA GRADE ON IMPORTED MEAT

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Oh Man, my husband and I have lurked in here for a long time enjoying many posts and discussions, but this one demands some response.

SH Says...."I knew the only way these protectionists would compete with foreign beef is to isolate it then lie about it's safety or create the image it wasn't inspected." How on Earth can we just compete with foreign beef and have any idea the true numbers of what consumers want or will buy when we have no way to distinguish the two products for those consumers. :mad: :mad: :???:

Of course the meat could and should still be inspected. I don't think any of us would have a problem with the USDA using a different type of stamp system for the imported beef (us being producers who live and make the product in our own country). Yes-let the consumers decide, but they must be able to know what they have decided. We agree, and then we will all see the results.

New research into prions, the infectious agents that cause mad cow-like diseases, has found them in the mammary glands of some sheep, raising questions about whether milk and milk products from infected animals could transmit the pathogens.

Thank-you Reader for correcting your statement that "prions are found in milk"

They may be found in mammary glands ("of some sheep"), but that does not mean they are are found in milk.

Thanks again for the clarification!

but they are following the children and also the sexual partners of vCJD victims. I asked that question at the last conference I attended. You figure out why...

I asked you that question months ago, so I know why you asked it!

I would think that any transmission of blood would be a worry, maybe even other fluids!

But we haven't seen any scientific evidence of that yet, have we? hard to imagine, when they are sure it can be transmitted through the consumption of tissue!

reader (the second) - "You're right -- mammary glands not milk ...."

So.......just to be clear, "they" have NOT found prions in milk, right R2?? :roll:

Sandman: "If someboddy wants that worthless test done, and somebody is willing to perform that worthless test, and it effects nobody else in the least, how is an outside party justified in blocking any transactions?"

THEY DON'T KNOW IT'S A WORTHLESS TEST! They believe that "BSE TESTED" means "BSE FREE" and it doesn't.

I'm sick of arguing this issue with you. You support fraud and I don't. It's that simple.

Porker: "SO, what happens when the BSE urine test can detect PIRONS at ANY AGE,do you stay at the 20 MONTH level or CHANGE? Its the current science!"

Creekstone admitted that their tests could not reveal prions in cattle under 24 months of age so your point is moot in regards to Creekstone unless Creekstone is using better tests that have been approved by USDA's scientists.

Ranch Mom: "How on Earth can we just compete with foreign beef and have any idea the true numbers of what consumers want or will buy when we have no way to distinguish the two products for those consumers."

If consumers want to know the origination of their beef, they can buy source verified branded beef products now without this flawed government mandate called "M"COOL.

"M"COOL is an absolute joke and here's why:

1. If you are going to differentiate your product, you need to differentiate it from something. 75% of the beef that is imported into the U.S. ends up in food service. FOOD SERVICE IS EXEMPT FROM LABELING UNDER THE "M"COOL LAW. That means that only 5% of our domestic U.S. beef consumption would be labeled as "imported beef" under this flawed law AT THE EXPENSE OF LABELING ALL BEEF.

2. When you isolate 5% of the product at the expense of labeling all beef, you have created a novelty item to the advantage of the rare novelty item. This was proven with New Zealand lamb outselling U.S. lamb side by side at the retail counter. Same with the success of Argentina grass fed beef.

3. "M"COOL, as written, is unenforceable because proponents of this law that demanded proof of where cattle were "BORN, RAISED, AND SLAUGHTERED" did not want to be burdened with traceback so they prohibited "M"ID from "M"COOL. A valid traceback system is the only thing that would have given "M"COOL any value. Unfortunately, the proponents of this flawed law are not in charge of enforcing it. Instead, they have the critical throne of judgement in watching USDA try to enforce a law that the proponents made unenforceable.

Just tracking the imports will not work because you have to have an accounting of the cattle entering the plant and the beef leaving the plant. Without an accounting of all cattle entering and leaving the plant, anything can become anything with the switch of a label.

4. CONSUMERS AREN'T ASKING FOR IT!!!!

The driving force behind this law is R-CULT isolationists that think that consumers will pay more for U.S. beef than foreign beef and most don't even know that only 25% of the imported beef ends up at the retail level.

"M"COOL is the classic "SYMBOLISM OVER SUBSTANCE" law. Sounds good until you realize the facts. Now you have the facts.

~SH~

reader (the Second) said:
TimH said:
reader (the second) - "You're right -- mammary glands not milk ...."

So.......just to be clear, "they" have NOT found prions in milk, right R2?? :roll:

Tim - you can read as well as I can. If you are relieved by the fact that the prions are in the mammary glands and if on the basis of that you think it's certain that there are not prions in milk, that's your right to think that.

I agree with Aguzzi who is one of the top TSE researchers and I am not deterred from milk products but at the same time, I want to see more research into the question of prions outside the CNS and the implications. Neil Cashman who was quoted is a great and expert guy and his view is appropriate.

You stated , R2 , that "they've found prions in milk...", after posting an article that clearly says no such thing.
Here is an excerpt of the article with the pertinent parts in bold.....

"It turns out that if you have an inflammation of the mammary gland, the milk is full of macrophages. So it's not hard from there to infer that eventually you will end up with prions in the milk," he said.

But Aguzzi's team has not yet isolated prions from milk, a complex task. "We are making progress. But we are not there yet," he said.

I'm curious! How did you get "....they've found prions in milk..", out of that article?

Quote:
Sandman: "If somebody wants that worthless test done, and somebody is willing to perform that worthless test, and it effects nobody else in the least, how is an outside party justified in blocking any transactions?"

SH's response, "THEY DON'T KNOW IT'S A WORTHLESS TEST! They believe that "BSE TESTED" means "BSE FREE" and it doesn't."

You don't know that. Anyway a disclosure label on the meat would clear up any doubt - but you're against that, too. Why not come out and say that you're simply against private testing no matter what (or until the big packers/USDA change their stance).

Remember one of your first posts on this topic when Creekstone first brought up the idea? Let me remind you - your post to Creekstone was "Seize the opportunity!". Then the big packers spoke up and you suddenly changed your tune.

I don't support fraud. I support free enterprise with minimal govermental interference.

reader (the second)- "I'm not sure what good picking at nits is doing you since I was not focused on the milk but the prions outside the CNS... "

You made a statement, ("they've found prions in milk"), that was untrue.
You say it was a mistake. OK, fair enough! I point out your "mistake" and you call that nit-picking???
Ya......OK. :roll:

Sandman: "I support free enterprise with minimal govermental interference."

Liar!

MANDATORY price reporting
MANDATORY country of origin labeling
CAPTIVE SUPPLY REFORM ACT

Who do you think you're kidding you government mandate loving liberal!

~SH~

~SH~ said:

Liar!

~SH~

Mandatory price reporting should be a given. How can you have a fair market if not everybody knows what prices are?

Mandatory COOL. How can a producer not reap the full benefits of the checkoff (MANDATORY) without it?

Captive Supply Reform - You're right - who needs those silly rules to keep the powerful few from hosing the many? They would never do that!

We have goodies before church on Sunday. My boy wanted to use the small stirring straw to drink his hot cocoa. I told him to hurry up before SH saw him - that straw is only providing him the ILLUSION of better cocoa as he was being DECEIVED into thinking it was a better way to drink. I added that even though him drinking his cocoa the way he saw fit did not effect SH in any way, SH would have him banned as he needed to be saved from himself.

Sandhusker said:
~SH~ said:

Liar!

~SH~

Mandatory price reporting should be a given. How can you have a fair market if not everybody knows what prices are?

Mandatory COOL. How can a producer not reap the full benefits of the checkoff (MANDATORY) without it?

Captive Supply Reform - You're right - who needs those silly rules to keep the powerful few from hosing the many? They would never do that!

We have goodies before church on Sunday. My boy wanted to use the small stirring straw to drink his hot cocoa. I told him to hurry up before SH saw him - that straw is only providing him the ILLUSION of better cocoa as he was being DECEIVED into thinking it was a better way to drink. I added that even though him drinking his cocoa the way he saw fit did not effect SH in any way, SH would have him banned as he needed to be saved from himself.

I take it you had nothing to add OT but just wanted to read the same thing again?

Sandman, I'll take that as your admission that you don't want a free enterprise system free of excessive government regulation. That would make you a hypocrite as if that hadn't already been established.

BTW, that straw stick may create the "ILLUSION" that the cocoa is better than it is but it doesn't create an "ILLUSION" that it is safer than it is or you'd intervene.

~SH~

You Nuts or what?

SH...Sandman, I'll take that as your admission that you don't want a free enterprise system free of excessive government regulation.

Huh?? Who is the one that does not want a free enterprise system like Creekstone was proposing?

~SH~ said:

Liar!

~SH~

The State of South Dakota should do away with Game Warden's because they interfere with private property rights. We don't want excessive government, do we.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Why is that SH trapping poor ole coyotes anyway? They are the best gopher getters around. I guess some people like to make up work to have a job.

Econ101 said:
Why is that SH trapping poor ole coyotes anyway? They are the best gopher getters around. I guess some people like to make up work to have a job.

What??? Some people like to make up work to have a job??? :???:

Do you mean like Pickett's legal team??? Like R-calf's crack litigation squad and leadership???

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TimH said:
Econ101 said:

Do you mean like Pickett's legal team??? Like R-calf's crack litigation squad and leadership???

:oops: :oops:

Tim, in the Pickett case, what is your standing? Why are you interested in it? Are you not from Canada? What does it have to do with you?

I don't know all of R-Calf's litigation team costs but you can probably bet it is less than 1/10 of the packer's. Add in the lobbiests on th hill as well as campaign money and you have some real forces. R-Calf is just a drop in the bucket but they have been pretty darn successful you have to admit.

Econ101 said:
TimH said:
Econ101 said:

:oops: :oops:

Tim, in the Pickett case, what is your standing? Why are you interested in it? Are you not from Canada? What does it have to do with you?

I don't know all of R-Calf's litigation team costs but you can probably bet it is less than 1/10 of the packer's. Add in the lobbiests on th hill as well as campaign money and you have some real forces. R-Calf is just a drop in the bucket but they have been pretty darn successful you have to admit.

R-calf has "been pretty darn successful " ???? :???:

Perhaps you could outline just a couple of their "successes", then Econ.
Fundraising and membership numbers don't count. I'm talking about long-term benefits to the industry.
It should be "pretty darn" easy for you. :lol:

Latest posts