• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

No Winter to Speak of

Help Support Ranchers.net:

RSL

Reaction score
They are talking long term forecast highs above 0C for the next week here. Last winter we had over 2 1/2 feet of snow and 6 weeks of -40 or colder straight through. Our average high is -11 and average low is -21. The prediction for this week is that we will have at least one night with a low above 0.
But our calves are loving it... The foreground of the video are smaller calves and replacements on rakebunches. The background is feeder calves and F1 heifers on swath grazing.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZ_c-jW5PVo&context=C353cc15ADOEgsToPDskJ3-gnqwHwmBVd-3OgF_FS5

Taken last night off my front step
398382_10150469025499624_661889623_8790180_93611397_n.jpg

Yep- same here... But I just heard on the radio this morning that both the government weather folks and the corporate meteorologists are still predicting La Nina will kick in with some real nasty weather for up here...Talking about a cold and nasty Feb and March... (Hope they are wrong and this winters moisture all comes as rain in May)...

That said- our forecast for today is for 40's-- 50's for Wed and Thursday :)

Yes this weather is awesome :D !!No snow to speak of,actually as of today we are back to having potholes with water in them again and they are saying the rest of the week we are suppose to be even warmer.Cows aren't even eatting what they should be because it's so warm out,going to have a lot of carry over hay this year.My prediction will be it will start to be winter in 2 weeks,as thats when i start calving.Oh well that is quick forgotten when the steer calves off the cows in the fall are bringing $1100 plus :D .

If you guys don't quit bragging Mother Nature will backhand you into next month. :D

Would be nice to stay -5 to -10 C all winter. I would be happier that this freezing and thawing that just creates ice and slop here. :wink:

Several areas of the state set new records for highs for today...We tied a record that was set in 1962 with 49 degrees... Spent the afternoon riding around on the 4 wheeler doing odd jobs in just my shirtsleeves and vest..

gcreekrch said:
If you guys don't quit bragging Mother Nature will backhand you into next month. :D

Would be nice to stay -5 to -10 C all winter. I would be happier that this freezing and thawing that just creates ice and slop here. :wink:

extremely icy here, those new muck boots that i got last year are even having a hard time gripping this wind polished surface. supposed to get to 13c tomorrow hopefully that will cut some of the ice.

Oldtimer said:
Spent the afternoon riding around on the 4 wheeler doing odd jobs in just my shirtsleeves and vest..
Ewwww...I bet that was a perty sight - you straddlin' a four-wheeler with nothin' on from the waist down. :lol:

hayguy said:
gcreekrch said:

extremely icy here, those new muck boots that i got last year are even having a hard time gripping this wind polished surface. supposed to get to 13c tomorrow hopefully that will cut some of the ice.

The warranty replacement Mucks I got in June are worn out already. Going to get another pair tommorow. This makes 5 pair that haven't made the one year limit, the quality seems to be going down since we first started buying them.

Good thing the Chinese are making them cheap.

gcreekrch said:
hayguy said:
gcreekrch said:

The warranty replacement Mucks I got in June are worn out already. Going to get another pair tommorow. This makes 5 pair that haven't made the one year limit, the quality seems to be going down since we first started buying them.

as with a lot of things, once the reputation is established the quality goes to he!!

weather has been (and looks to continue to be) unseasonably warm and dry!! here we are in JANUARY and the highs are forecasted to be in the mid-40's all week...has not even gotten below zero yet and the river has not even started to freeze over!! :cry:

Justin said:
i'd almost rather it get cold and stay cold, it would be easier on the calves.

Depends on if you are talking last years calves,or new borns.I would rather have this mild weather.So i guess summer will have to carry on up here,and you guys can have our winter.

gcreekrch said:
hayguy said:
gcreekrch said:

Perhaps they didn't plan for someone living in the winter for 12 months of the year (sorry 11 1/2 months)! :)

That point has been raised with the gal that sells them in WL.

And let's not stretch it, there are only 9 months witer here, the rest is just tough sledding weather. :wink: :lol:

My first pair of Muck boots lasted 4 years, this pair is going to be doing good to make it 2 years, and these aren't NEAR as comfortable as my old ones were. And I only wear them 5 months per year.

31 Above at sunrise-- by the time I got thru feeding this morning the temp was 46 with west Chinook winds howling.. Temp at noon is 50 with wind blowing 30mph...What little snow we had is all going...

Doesn't feel like January....

Oldtimer said:
31 Above at sunrise-- by the time I got thru feeding this morning the temp was 46 with west Chinook winds howling.. Temp at noon is 50 with wind blowing 30mph...What little snow we had is all going...

Doesn't feel like January....

about the same here. we don't have the winds the "experts" were talkin about tho..........yet

Same here in Des Moines very little snow & not that much for cold, saw a stat earlier this week that the coldest it's been here was 1 above (F).

We had heavy rain on Monday and it took our few inches of snow pretty quick. Back to just below freezing again and the cows are gimping around on the bare, rough frozen ground.

Weirdest weather ever.

Latest posts