• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Normal Rainfall???

Help Support Ranchers.net:

A

Anonymous

Since its the last day of the year I decided to look on the National Weather Service website to check the moisture for the year...

Since Jan 1, 2005 Glasgow Mt. has received 10.17 inches- Normal is 11.23...That is the reason this prairie is called the Great American Desert-- and we ended up with a great year for hay and fairly good year for pasture in most areas.....

Its not so much the amount you get, rather if it comes at the right times in this country...

Curious to hear what others yearly rainfalls are?

Oldtimer,
I have an official rain gauge from the weather bureau and send them an annual report after I total up all the rain we get over the year. I just sent it off yesterday and our total was 11.82". I've heard that our average for this area is supposed to be around 14 inches, but I don't remember ever getting up to that average amount.

Dang yall that is dry.

Charlotte, North Carolina: annual normal precipitation: 43.51 inches
We have recieve only 39.84 up to Dec 29 2005

Happy New Years eve! At the Baker airport, they got 10.14 from Jan 1 - Dec 21. Ave is 10.32, so we might make it! It's been very WET. About 8 inches of very wet snow yesterday, down to 2 or 3 today and raining. It's a mucky mess but we need it. I just hope it all goes away before it freezes again!
The data collected started in 1948, but they didn't start til july. The lowest amount was in 1949, they only got 7 inches :cry: That's a great website, I had never been there.

Fort St. John, British Columbia average precip:
Rainfall: 12.48
total including snow: 18.6

We are supposed to average about 39 inches - - - two years ago we only got about 20 but it all came at the right time so we still had great crops.

In my time I can only remember 1983 and 1988 as dry enought that we had crop faliures. :cry: In 1983 it was so bad I sold all the livestock - - most of the cows I had raised here and so it was heart wrenching but there did not seem to be any other option.

We were about 6 inches behind at the start of Dec but we caught that up and we will end the year with about 44 inches - - - mud, mud, mud. But the mud is a regular feature so you work with it or fight it - - - I prefer to work with it. :wink:

We are supposed to average about 39 inches - - - two years ago we only got about 20 but it all came at the right time so we still had great crops.

In my time I can only remember 1983 and 1988 as dry enought that we had crop faliures. :cry: In 1983 it was so bad I sold all the livestock - - most of the cows I had raised here and so it was heart wrenching but there did not seem to be any other option.

We were about 6 inches behind at the start of Dec but we caught that up and we will end the year with about 44 inches - - - mud, mud, mud. But the mud is a regular feature so you work with it or fight it - - - I prefer to work with it. :wink:

George said:

It's been very mild here also I feed my corn silage with a hot wire across the end of the pile the cows have about 2 ft of mud near the pile so I just locked them out of it till it freezes up just feed a little more hay.I have lost some cows in the mud before so if its soft they dont need any silage.

Got about 13 or 14 inches this year. Since 1960 we've averaged about 16 inches per year. We needed more earlier, but I have high hopes for 2006! :lol:

We average under 10 inches per year, but the Columbia River comes by and brings us everyone else's water, LOL

.56 inches the last so much before then that is is puddling high.

1.99 inches this month, .7 inches above normal,

Last year was a classic example of the few rains we had being timely

PPRM

I find it amasing that 9 months of the year we can get a 3" rain and not even hve much of a puddle. It will soak in and the plants just jump up with new growth :D - - - then in late fall and early winter we can get 1" and have the creeks and ponds overflowing and mud every where. :?

I'm sure there is a good explanation but I'm not smart enought to know the whys - - - I just try to deal with what God gives as he has run this world without me long enough he knows what he is doing.. :D :D

George said:
I find it amasing that 9 months of the year we can get a 3" rain and not even hve much of a puddle. It will soak in and the plants just jump up with new growth :D - - - then in late fall and early winter we can get 1" and have the creeks and ponds overflowing and mud every where. :?

I'm sure there is a good explanation but I'm not smart enought to know the whys - - - I just try to deal with what God gives as he has run this world without me long enough he knows what he is doing.. :D :D

In this part of the country, after the frost, the trees lose their leaves and quit taking on much water and I think many of the grasses do as well, so there is less water taken in or "soaked"up. All the springs along the cricks come back and the puddles get bigger. Could this have something to do with what your seeing?

I'd sure agree with you, JingleBob. That is one of the reasons that it is said about this country, and yours as well~"it isn't HOW much rainfall, it is WHEN, that is critical."

The fall moisture sets us up nicely for grass in the spring because it is not drawn into the leaves as during the growing season. We had virtually NO fall moisture going into 2005, this fall we have a lot of moisture in the ground (and now, on top of the ground. These last snowstorms have been very wet.)

Hows your head this morning FH? Did you party too hard last night? :lol:

Are you coming overt to Bowman on the 11 th for the cowboy opera or whatever they call it?

Makes a lot of sense - - - - and the crops have all been harvested and the fields are bare - - - and little soaking in - - - possibly the rain is hitting bare groung and just packing the surface and sealing it.

But like I said for whatever reason you learn to live with it or you fight it.

This is probably one reason there are not as many feedlots as there could be. The feed is here and cheap - - The temps are not bad. The cattle must be on concrete for efficient gains and when you look at the large feedlots concrete would really add a cost to each animal. Then to we are under a lot of pressure from the population that does not want to see, hear, smell or otherwise know about any "confined animals"

Many of these people really do think their food just comes from the grocery.

Faster horses said:
No party for this girl. How about yourself?

Just lost some play money on tiger gaming...pretty uneventful evening.

Head was fine. I stayed in the house with the wee one while the kids went out and tried to shoot flaming clay pigeons in the dark. Guess it didn't work to well. Gramma got home on the icey roads about 11 25. We toasted the new year with a small shared glass of wine and then went to bed.

Latest posts