• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

North and South came together

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
October 28, 2005

Copy By: Natasha Bentz, National Field Coordinator
Phone: 406-252-2516; e-mail: [email protected]

Media Contact: Shae Dodson, Communications Coordinator
Phone: 406-672-8969; e-mail: [email protected] For Immediate Release

President, President-Elect Speak in South Dakota

(Fort Pierre, S.D.) – North and South came together recently in Fort Pierre, S.D., when R-CALF USA President and Co-Founder Leo McDonnell, of Columbus, Mont., and R-CALF USA President-Elect and Region V Director Chuck Kiker, of Beaumont, Texas, spoke at the organization's Region III meeting. Fort Pierre Livestock Auction Inc. sponsored the event, which drew members not only from South Dakota and North Dakota, but from Nebraska as well. Johnny Smith, Fort Pierre Livestock partner and auctioneer, hosted the meeting.

R-CALF USA Region III Director and Co-Founder Herman Schumacher helped organize the meeting and updated the audience on past and current litigation cases within the cattle industry and their relation to R-CALF USA.

"In 1998, when fat cattle were hovering around $56 to $60 (cwt), we did not believe it was possible to raise a million dollars for the anti-dumping litigation against Canada, but Leo said it could be done and he has been proved right to the tune of 18,000 members," said Schumacher.

He recalled that Leo also said that even though "we lost the anti-dumping case, we still won when we turned the opportunity into a cattle-producer only organization."

Schumacher then introduced Kiker, the future president of R-CALF USA, who assumes his new duties at the conclusion of the annual convention in January. Kiker proceeded to tell the audience that the continued growth of the organization is in the hands of its members.

"We have some things going for us now that we never had in the beginning," said Kiker. "The future is in you folks who know what R-CALF is all about. R-CALF is you. You are the folks determining our direction, making the phone calls, and putting in the money.

"R-CALF has two limiting factors: funds and membership," Kiker explained. "We are well on our way to reaching membership goals, but we need to have over 25,000 members to be the indisputably largest cattle organization in the U.S. This will give us the clout in Washington we need to make sure your interests in the cattle industry are addressed.

"One of the reasons I was chosen president-elect is because R-CALF is extremely strong in the North, but to make this truly a national organization, we need to get as many members in the southern U.S. as we have in the northern part of the country," he continued. "With that purpose in mind, we just hired a southeastern field man named John West who hails from Fort Worth, Texas.

"R-CALF is effective as an organization representing independent cattle producers," Kiker noted. "After having been formed for only three years, we started seeing record prices for cattle, and the prices are holding. Also, our leadership represents membership policy."

McDonnell followed up Kiker's speech with the basis upon which R-CALF USA was founded.

"I want to thank all of you for all of your support over the years," said McDonnell. "You folks have been responsible for our successes, and for that, I thank you."

He continued by expressing five goals that he had in mind for R-CALF USA when it was founded in 1998:

1) to ensure that cattle producers receive a fair price for their cattle;

2) to maintain consumers' right to receive the safest and highest quality product available;

3) to address distortions to competition in both the domestic and international markets;

4) to prevent USDA from liberalizing import standards below internationally practiced standards;

5) to reverse the contraction of the U.S. cattle herd, which is occurring at a time when other countries' herds remain the same and/or are growing.

"You have a right to form a voice, you have a responsibility, and you either use it or you lose it," noted McDonnell. "You are the only one responsible for taking a stand for your own business and for taking back control of your industry.

"No issue will have a greater impact on your future than trade liberalization," he commented. "You need to learn from the mistakes and foolishness of other industries and work to ensure that trade is enhancing, not just to the beef industry segment, but more importantly to U.S. cattle ranchers."

McDonnell and Kiker took questions from the audience afterward that primarily centered on animal identification and Country-of-Origin Labeling (COOL).

"We had a nice group of concerned people in the cattle industry today," said Smith. "Leo and Chuck are 150 percent in favor of the cattle producer. They gave excellent presentations."

"R-CALF has come a long way," said Dennis Hanson, Fort Pierre Livestock Auction owner and manager. "Going from zero to 18,000 members in six years is unheard of."

"It is going to be hard to replace Leo," said Ken Knuppe, past president of South Dakota Stockgrowers Association (SDSGA), an R-CALF USA affiliate organization. "He is like a hero for what he has done in starting this organization and in growing it to over 18,000 members.

"But you move on," Knuppe continued. "As long as our new president is listening to the membership for direction, we will do well. I believe Chuck will do that."

"As Leo said, it is still about the issues," noted Joan Kazmerzak of Lake Preston, S.D. "One of the current, biggest issues being COOL. We should expect importers to abide by the same standards as we have for our food safety."

"We are progressing and growing," said Allen Lund, secretary of the Independent Beef Association of North Dakota (I-BAND), another R-CALF USA affiliate organization. "Chuck described the two most important objectives for growing are membership and funds.

"Membership is needed to have a voice in Washington, D.C., and funds are needed to help with litigation," Lund explained. "COOL is the most important issue currently, and we have to get the word out to the consumer."

Sponsors included: Fort Pierre Livestock Auction Inc.; Moodie Implement Inc.; Butler Machinery Co.; and Pioneer of Pierre.

# # #

Information for jpg photo attachment: R-CALF USA Region III Director and Co-Founder Herman Schumacher, R-CALF USA President and Co-Founder Leo McDonnell, R-CALF USA Region V Director and President-Elect Chuck Kiker, and Fort Pierre Livestock Auction Partner Johnny Smith take questions from the audience at the Region III meeting.

# # #

R-CALF USA (Ranchers-Cattlemen Action Legal Fund, United Stockgrowers of America) represents thousands of U.S. cattle producers on domestic and international trade and marketing issues. R-CALF USA, a national, non-profit organization, is dedicated to ensuring the continued profitability and viability of the U.S. cattle industry. R-CALF USA's membership consists primarily of cow-calf operators, cattle backgrounders, and feedlot owners. Its members - over 18,000 strong - are located in 47 states, and the organization has over 60 local and state association affiliates, from both cattle and farm organizations. Various main street businesses are associate members of R-CALF USA. For more information, visit www.r-calfusa.com or, call 406-252-2516.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

R-CALFUSARegionIIIMeeting-FortPierr.jpg

Hey, Little Joe(HAYMAKER), How$ about we all join hand$ and $ing "kumbaya" now ????

$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

Why don't any of R-Calf's press releases ever state what they have actually ACCOMPLISHED ,instead of focusing on membership numbers and $$$ raised?? HMMMMMM???? :D :D :p :p

TimH said:
Hey, Little Joe(HAYMAKER), How$ about we all join hand$ and $ing "kumbaya" now ????

Why don't any of R-Calf's press releases ever state what they have actually ACCOMPLISHED ,instead of focusing on membership numbers and $$$ raised?? HMMMMMM???? :D :D :p :p

I thought I had explained this to you once already,we need to get the numbers up,so we can get the dollars up,so we can buy some of these two bit politicians,that seems to be standard practice..........good luck

HAY MAKER said:
TimH said:

I thought I had explained this to you once already,we need to get the numbers up,so we can get the dollars up,so we can buy some of these two bit politicians,that seems to be standard practice..........good luck

Ya, OK, Haymaker but perhaps you would be kind enough to post just a few things that R-calf has actually accomplished for the grassroots producer since '98. Not everything they have accomplished,mind you, just 2 or 3 things would do. Thanks. :wink:

Now that would depend on your definition of accomplishment would'nt it ?Some would say,keeping the border closed was an accomplishment?Another might say the fact that "otm" cattle still are not allowed is an accomplishment ?Somebody else might add keeping the U>S>cattle herd protected from "BSE" would be an accomplishment,remember as org's go R CALF is young,slowly but surely R CALF will be insturmental in createing fairness for the cattle man...............good luck PS I believe we have done this before too,so just go to their web site and on the front page find their list of accomplishments.

HAY MAKER said:
Now that would depend on your definition of accomplishment would'nt it ?Some would say,keeping the border closed was an accomplishment?Another might say the fact that "otm" cattle still are not allowed is an accomplishment ?Somebody else might add keeping the U>S>cattle herd protected from "BSE" would be an accomplishment,remember as org's go R CALF is young,slowly but surely R CALF will be insturmental in createing fairness for the cattle man...............good luck PS I believe we have done this before too,so just go to their web site and on the front page find their list of accomplishments.

Haymaker, is the border STILL closed?? NO!! Was it R-calf that Kept it closed(for 3 months only for UTM boxed beef and 25 months only for UTM cattle, or was it USDA??? Careful how you answer that!!! What is YOUR definition of accomplishment????
Just how did R-calf keep the US herd free of BSE when Canada's oldest BSE case was 8 years old and the US's homegrown case was 12???????
Looks like Texas had it at least 4 years before Alberta did. You aren't trying to BS us now are you Little Joe???
Get serious now. What has R-calf really accomplished with all the money they have sucked out of grassroots cattlemen???

My definition of accomplishment for R CALF would be .
#1 M COOL
#2 The captive supply reform act
The border has never been an issuse with me,I believe with M COOL and The Captive supply reform act enacted ,the weather would have more bearing on the markets than Canadian cattle..............good luck tiny,gotta head upstairs.

HAY MAKER said:
My definition of accomplishment for R CALF would be .
#1 M COOL
#2 The captive supply reform act
The border has never been an issuse with me,I believe with M COOL and The Captive supply reform act enacted ,the weather would have more bearing on the markets than Canadian cattle..............good luck tiny,gotta head upstairs.

........And are those items(#1 and # 2) through congress and in effect ???????? Maybe you should tell Lio McDon'tknow and Bull Billard about how the weather has more bearing on cattle prices than CDN cattle do!! :roll:

G'night Haymaker. Sleep tight with those R-calf 'jammies (with the feet in them) on. Dream on, 'lil cowpoke!!!! :lol: :p :p

PS. Wanna buy a cheap straw R-calf cowboy hat,complete with plastic whistle and shoe-lace stampede strap???? I'll even throw in the extra thick eye-glasses and orthopedic boots for free!!! :D

Latest posts