• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Northern Rancher's Branding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Good pix! Ther boys came out this afternoon and evening and we did our little bunch. I'll try and post a few pix in the next few days.

Looks like you had a dang fine crew.

That's an awful good way to hold calves, but more fun if you let a horse hold the front end too! :wink:

RoperAB said:
Faster horses said:
Great pictures, and looks like great young fellas to have around.
I see bosals are popular in your country.

Mrs. NR looks way too nice to put up with you. :wink: :p :nod:

Yeah I noticed that too. I see the one guy has his bridle horse in the two rein. Are these guys from AB :lol: ? I thought they were all farmers in SK<Smileing when I said it so dont get mad :wink: >
Nice pics :D

You've listened to Ian to much, The big outfits more up from the south to sask first. The the weather chased those Texans home. :wink:

By the info ,looks like with a crew like that yu didn't have to work up much of a sweat.Startin' to learn that,but real cowboys are not that common close to home here

Jinglebob on the bigger calves we rope a single back foot then head them and lead them out of the branding pen-tail them over and then put a horse on each end. You have to make those young guys work up a sweat once in awhile-Ty had football fitness tests tonight-looks like ranch work did him OK this summer-he was in the top two in every area.

I have no idea L.E to be honest- that one family that was there uses alot of the same kind of tack-I think it was after some Ray Hunt and Peter Campbell clinics that they started to switch. I'm not much of an authority on that kind of thing-most times the kids just ride with a snaffle or just a halter. I'm not a big fan of looping that mecate back through your belt yet-young guy just told me of one colossal wreck he had last week-it pulled out going through the brush then when they hit a clearing his horse stepped on it and end o'ed. As for prefered style of gear it can change every twenty miles-did you notice that the shortest rope there was a 45' (mine) and everrybody else was using 60 footers-ten years ago you never saw that at brandings-then somebody tried one and everybody started to switch over.

Why would you need a 60' rope in a branding pen.I know a guy who has a 60' rope more because he needs that much to get his dally.I have 35' ropes plenty long of course my horse has enough gas to put you where you need to be.

The reason I asked NR, is that I noticed everybody but the Appaloosa rider was in a Wade or Association style saddle, with 4" monel stirrups, etc. I'm kind of a student of gear types (per region), but never havin been to Canada wasn't sure what was used up there. I was curious if the Buckaroo influence carried up into Canada or if that type of gear just fit the terrain better.

Northern Rancher said:
I have no idea L.E to be honest- that one family that was there uses alot of the same kind of tack-I think it was after some Ray Hunt and Peter Campbell clinics that they started to switch. I'm not much of an authority on that kind of thing-most times the kids just ride with a snaffle or just a halter. I'm not a big fan of looping that mecate back through your belt yet-young guy just told me of one colossal wreck he had last week-it pulled out going through the brush then when they hit a clearing his horse stepped on it and end o'ed. As for prefered style of gear it can change every twenty miles-did you notice that the shortest rope there was a 45' (mine) and everrybody else was using 60 footers-ten years ago you never saw that at brandings-then somebody tried one and everybody started to switch over.

Ditto here in the SW, I do think tack is a family thing also. The buackaroo look is neat to see but I wouldn't know what to do with all that "extra" stuff, LOL
Our ropes are like NR's - mine for the same reason as Mr FH's. Even that length is to long at times .... Had a crippled (but not to crippled) bull wipe the mirror off the truck. But it was the other half's fault - he parked the truck and trailer in a stupid spot :wink:

We could give L.E. Stevens a test - everybody post a picture of their tack (I'm terrible with official names of 'parts') :oops: I don't have a pic handy or I'd go first.

Denny said:
Why would you need a 60' rope in a branding pen.I know a guy who has a 60' rope more because he needs that much to get his dally.I have 35' ropes plenty long of course my horse has enough gas to put you where you need to be.

I don't need 60 foot either. Most of mine are 45 to 50 foot. With a longer rope, the object is to let more rope slide, so as to be easier on the critter and horse, but if you ain't slidin' it, they ain't doin' you much good! :lol:

If you get in a storm with a snotty cow and she is at the end of 60 foot, she can't pull on your horse as bad, tho' he can't pull on her either.

Each to their own, but a feller ought to at least know why he's usin' what he's usin'! :wink:

I like the idea of everybody posting a picture of what they use. Think I'll go start a new posting.

Those guys are artists with a 60 foot-they don't use all of it in a branding pen of course-they can rope and treat a ton plus bull by themselves without getting in a storm. Those guys would probably just ask you to put your horse up if they caught u 'gassing it to get you where you need to be'. Most times they can get a loop onsomething in the pasture without them even knowing they're being rope. You should spend a month with them-they might make a hand out of you yet. I usually rope with a 35 footer myself-got the small hands no skill syndrome. If you noticed most of their horns are wrapped with mulehide so the rope can run.

Northern Rancher said:
Those guys are artists with a 60 foot-they don't use all of it in a branding pen of course-they can rope and treat a ton plus bull by themselves without getting in a storm. Those guys would probably just ask you to put your horse up if they caught u 'gassing it to get you where you need to be'. Most times they can get a loop onsomething in the pasture without them even knowing they're being rope. You should spend a month with them-they might make a hand out of you yet. I usually rope with a 35 footer myself-got the small hands no skill syndrome. If you noticed most of their horns are wrapped with mulehide so the rope can run.

They look like good hands. I wasn't posting my comments to you NR, but to those who don't understand why anyone would use a 60 foot rope. And maybe you weren't refering to me, but to who I posted to. :oops:

Oh well, I bet anyone who reads this will undefrstand! :roll: :lol:

And if you were refering to ME working with these guys so they could make a better hand of me, hell, there have been lots tried to, in the last half a century or so! :lol: So far the results aren't what we all hoped for! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

By the way all, most of these ropes are 5/16, so they are smaller and easier to hold 50 to 60 foot in your hand. And they usually are a pretty soft lay and/or twist. My hands ain't all that big either, but I found out if I get my horses broke better, you don't hve to control them with your hands so much as your feet, which makes it easier to concentrate on the rope. :wink: :lol:

Northern Rancher said:

We've treated ton plus bulls here also useing 35' rope's contrary to what you think there are good cowhand's in minnesota also.And I am sure those guy's could teach me a thing or two as I could teach them something I'm sure.But being arrogant I would'nt be.

Northern Rancher said:
You are a poster boy for arrogant sunshine. I'm just telling you how it would be.

Thats your reflection in the mirror there SUNSHINE... :roll: Funny thing about you your always telling me the way it would be, your a legend in your own mind.

Denny if the way I ranch bothers you so much-why bother hopping on my posts. I'm sure we can live without each other. I could care less what you think about the length of my lariat-if that sounds arrogant to you-too bad -so sad. Don't know what your problem is.

Northern Rancher said:
Denny if the way I ranch bothers you so much-why bother hopping on my posts. I'm sure we can live without each other. I could care less what you think about the length of my lariat-if that sounds arrogant to you-too bad -so sad. Don't know what your problem is.

I never questioned how you ranch I merly stated that I did'nt understand why you would need 60' of rope in a branding pen :shock: Also I stated that there is a guy here that uses one but he has troubles getting his dally so thats more his reason.Your very short tempered I meant not to upset you but that seams quite impossible if your happy ranching your way good for you.I am happy with my way also.As we are all different so are our ways of raiseing cattle.

Your the one who suggested that I spend a month with them so I could become a hand.I get done what needs to be done without any expert help.

Latest posts