• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Northern Rancher's Branding

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Sounds good to me-you sure didn't come across as asking an inn ocent question either-not short tempered at all-just don't like anybody questioning my friends abilities-question mine all you want lol.

Northern Rancher said:
Sounds good to me-you sure didn't come across as asking an inn ocent question either-not short tempered at all-just don't like anybody questioning my friends abilities-question mine all you want lol.

I was'nt questioning their abilities just more trying to learn how and why like I said here here most all use 35' ropes.Biggest reason would be all the brush and woods not alot of wide open spaces here,trees swamps and brush.If I had a 60 rope it would be quite a mess I have my hand full with a 35'.

You and me both-these guys cowboy alot in the bush here-that guy on the big bald faced paint roped a big cow last year to get her over a river crossing-it wass in thick willows-turned out to be quite a deal but we got her lol.

Not to interupt, but I've always been told that if ya don't tie-off hard that you need the longer ropes to dally & take the tail with ya when ya get down. Atleast that's what I do-wrong?

L.E. Stevens said:
Not to interupt, but I've always been told that if ya don't tie-off hard that you need the longer ropes to dally & take the tail with ya when ya get down. Atleast that's what I do-wrong?

Thats another handy use for a longer rope. :)

Northern I think your taking Denny the wrong way :) .

Denny if you use a 60 foot rope for everything else you might use it at a branding as well just because its familiar.
I like a 60 foot but its a real handful in 3/8". A 5/16" isnt much good around here because of the wind. If I went to a branding I would take my regular 45 foot 3/8" rope but I would probable take a 60 foot 5/16" as well because if it wasnt to windy the lighter rope is a lot easier on your arm if your useing it all day. Yes a shorter rope would be better at a branding but im not going to cut a good rope just for branding. For an all around regular pasture roping rope I prefer 45 feet of 3/8. But I also have 60 foot 5/16" ropes that I use sometimes if its not to windy or if im roping horses or something big.
Its really nice to have that extra length to be able to let that rope slip.
60 feet can be a curse though because if that rope has been hanging on your saddle for a while you have to sort all the coils before you use it. It just takes a few seconds but it seems like a long time :wink:

RoperAB said:

I like a 60 foot but its a real handful in 3/8". A 5/16" isnt much good around here because of the wind. :wink:

Get one in a 4 strand poly. Some even have small weights inside the strands. They have a good body, but handle the wind a lot better. Tho' they are easier to break than a nylon, but then, hell, that's why we have mule hide on our horns, so we can slip some rope. Just like using a rawhide riata. They can stand a lot of pull, but not much of a jerk.

If your using rubber on your horn and don't slip any, then your basicly roping, tied on hard and fast, but can turn loose if you need to.

A young man who is a good hand at starting a colt, when riding a real green colt at a brandiong, will take a dally or two around the horn, while leaving enough to rope with, and then tuck the extra coils under his knee, between knee and saddle, on the left side. Then he can still use two hands on the reins, while getting a calf drug out of the pen, but can jerk the coils out and turn loose if he gets in a wreck. Tho' I ain't never seen him get in a wreck, in the branding pen. :D

JB
They dont sell 4 strands in town. Not in 60 foot ranch ropes. They do sell poly though.
Have never tried one, maybe I should.
It gets expensive trying different ropes :lol:

About what someone asked about what people use in certain areas for rigs.
Around here there is no regular type of outfit on ranches.
If the guy is a team roper he will probable look like a team roper from your area.
If the guy is a rancher who only uses horses when he absolutely has to he could be using anything for tack.
If he cuts in town he will probable use a cutting rig on the ranch.
Your typical working cowboy who rides a lot will probable be in a 7/8 double riged swell fork with his horse finished in a grazer with split reins.
Then there are other guys like me who think a snaffle is just something you would put on an old plow horse. Jaquima to Freno all the way.
Then there are others who fit somewhere in the middle.
Team Roping is really popular around here. Problem is most team ropers are more concerned about roping than horsemanship.
The guys in Reined Cow horse start them in a snaffle, then the hackamore. Then they two rein into something like a San Joaquin mouthpiece because everything is aged events and their in a hurry.
Its just no telling if a guy is from Alberta because of his outfit.
Plus there is a certain amount of fashion. Example light coloured leather was popular there for a while. Now darker leather is coming back.
Im guessing its the same way in SK?

Well we all ride original Eamors so I guess what was in style 30 years ago will always be in style at our place-you sure can't judge a guys cowboy ability by his rig. I had an old friend who had the odd bit of baler twine in his tack. I've never been rich or famous enough to know or really mind what was in fashion.

RoperAB said:
JB
They dont sell 4 strands in town. Not in 60 foot ranch ropes.

I order mine from King's in Sheridan, Wy. I guess I usally pick one or two up, whenever I get thru' there, too. They ain't real cheap, but they last a long time and when your buddies start trying them, you can always sell one or two and get a new one. :wink:

I usually wear gloves when I'm using a poly as they get roughed up and if you ain't careful, they can sore up your hands. And I fight keeping my hands in shape anyways.

Now my son, he say's it's cheaper to grow skin back then pay for leather. Guess I'm gettin' old, as I don't agree. :lol:

Jinglebob said:
RoperAB said:

I like a 60 foot but its a real handful in 3/8". A 5/16" isnt much good around here because of the wind. :wink:

Get one in a 4 strand poly. Some even have small weights inside the strands. They have a good body, but handle the wind a lot better. Tho' they are easier to break than a nylon, but then, hell, that's why we have mule hide on our horns, so we can slip some rope. Just like using a rawhide riata. They can stand a lot of pull, but not much of a jerk.

If your using rubber on your horn and don't slip any, then your basicly roping, tied on hard and fast, but can turn loose if you need to.

A young man who is a good hand at starting a colt, when riding a real green colt at a brandiong, will take a dally or two around the horn, while leaving enough to rope with, and then tuck the extra coils under his knee, between knee and saddle, on the left side. Then he can still use two hands on the reins, while getting a calf drug out of the pen, but can jerk the coils out and turn loose if he gets in a wreck. Tho' I ain't never seen him get in a wreck, in the branding pen. :D

JB I guess I'm just lazy because I can make two dallys and feed my rope if necessary instead of six to eight and have the gloves smokin too. Doesn't matter how you do it the end result is what matters most. When I'm doctoring out in the pasture I don't go to the horn untill I'm ready to make a stand unless I have to because of brush or something like that and I still try to set things up in my favor. But what the hell do I know I'm just a sorry roper on a good day :wink:

Jinglebob said:
RoperAB said:
JB
They dont sell 4 strands in town. Not in 60 foot ranch ropes.

I order mine from King's in Sheridan, Wy. I guess I usally pick one or two up, whenever I get thru' there, too. They ain't real cheap, but they last a long time and when your buddies start trying them, you can always sell one or two and get a new one. :wink:

I usually wear gloves when I'm using a poly as they get roughed up and if you ain't careful, they can sore up your hands. And I fight keeping my hands in shape anyways.

Now my son, he say's it's cheaper to grow skin back then pay for leather. Guess I'm gettin' old, as I don't agree. :lol:

So a 4 strand 5/16" poly has the same weight as a 3 strand nylon 3/8"?

cowboyup said:
Jinglebob said:
RoperAB said:

JB I guess I'm just lazy because I can make two dallys and feed my rope if necessary instead of six to eight and have the gloves smokin too. Doesn't matter how you do it the end result is what matters most. When I'm doctoring out in the pasture I don't go to the horn untill I'm ready to make a stand unless I have to because of brush or something like that and I still try to set things up in my favor. But what the hell do I know I'm just a sorry roper on a good day :wink:

:???:

Wow am I ever jealous look at how gorgeous the day is everyone looks happy to be there. WOW!!!!

RoperAB said:

Probably wieghs a little more, but it's smaller, so you can hold more in your hand. I think all poly's are better in the wind than a nylon, but a nylon feels better in my bare hand. And the nylons don't get quite so raggy. But I like a raggy rope. I can't see how some of them team ropers even swing them stiff ol' ropes they use to heel with.

Poly's are as close to a well broken in riata as I've ever used. But they still ain't the same. And that is both good and bad. :wink:

cowboyup said:
I usually just take one or two dally's also. And I too, am a sorry roper. Just ask my neighbors.
:wink:

If you want to have fun sometime, get a big horn with mulehide and rope some big ol' critter and throw 1 or 2 dally's on, just enough to slow them down, and then let about a hundred feet of nylon go smokin' around the horn. Kind'a cute, how the smoke comes curlin' up off from the horn! :wink: :lol:

Had a buddy who moved to Idaho for about 8 years and got to hangin' out with some of them cowboys from the Snake? river. He told me, "When a guy from Idaho tells you it's going to get cold, don't believe him. They don't know what cold is. But when he tells you it might get a little steep, you better cinch up and take a deep seat! Man, them guys rope on sidehills we would be afraid to ride down!"
:lol:

Never have got out there yet to see if he was right. :)

My first adventure into really big hills-just across the line from BMR's was interesting-funny how cows get little tricks to fit the ground they run on. Our A'I' field was 4 sections so lots of ground to cover.

Jinglebob said:
RoperAB said:

Probably wieghs a little more, but it's smaller, so you can hold more in your hand. I think all poly's are better in the wind than a nylon, but a nylon feels better in my bare hand. And the nylons don't get quite so raggy. But I like a raggy rope. I can't see how some of them team ropers even swing them stiff ol' ropes they use to heel with.

Poly's are as close to a well broken in riata as I've ever used. But they still ain't the same. And that is both good and bad. :wink:

The stiffness shouldnt really matter as far as swinging and throwing the loop.
The stiffer the lope the faster you can swing to rate the cow or to just fight the wind.
A soft rope is better for certain shots say like a hip shot. Healer rope is to stiff for these types of ranch shots.
Do you know what I mean by turning the loop over when you swing? If your swinging your rope right the stiffness doesnt really matter. Some guys like Brannaman dont do a very good job of explaining what they are doing.

RoperAB said:
The stiffer the lope the faster you can swing to rate the cow or to just fight the wind.
A soft rope is better for certain shots say like a hip shot. Healer rope is to stiff for these types of ranch shots.
Do you know what I mean by turning the loop over when you swing? If your swinging your rope right the stiffness doesnt really matter. Some guys like Brannaman dont do a very good job of explaining what they are doing.

I believe i do, but them stiff ropes make my arm sore. I like the feel of a raggy rope with some body to it. them poly's get raggy enough that it's pretty hard to stand one up to make a good heel shot in the brandion' pen. I like the raggy ropes for the ranch shots like the hip shot and the del yu vuente(sp). Some call it the turn over shot. And they are awful nice for necking on a windy day, in the pasture.

Stiff is only good for one thing with me. :lol:

Get your mind out of the gutter, I was talking about a stiff drink! :wink:

Jinglebob said:
RoperAB said:

I believe i do, but them stiff ropes make my arm sore. I like the feel of a raggy rope with some body to it. them poly's get raggy enough that it's pretty hard to stand one up to make a good heel shot in the brandion' pen. I like the raggy ropes for the ranch shots like the hip shot and the del yu vuente(sp). Some call it the turn over shot. And they are awful nice for necking on a windy day, in the pasture.

Stiff is only good for one thing with me. :lol:

Get your mind out of the gutter, I was talking about a stiff drink! :wink:

:lol: :lol:

Its hard to talk about roping on the internet.

Latest posts