• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

not deep enough

Help Support Ranchers.net:

jodywy

Reaction score
I did a 20 year lease on a few acres of ours below the Hot Spring that are next to us . The out fit has hauled in a bunch of fill to old their semis and pots. they brought over a couple bundles of Railroads ties, some driving green post a bunch of guardrail and a few rolls of net to make a alleyway a big holding area and a large pen and two smaller ones.... problem is they started to drill holes for the ties and there a rock layer of mineral cleat down 24 inches.... they might have to haul a couple acres of fill to get deep enough to put in posts. They tried a backhoe and a jack hammer. There is a power pole on the corner, I understand they used dynamite but then there cross pieces on bottom of the pole to keep it from falling into the void under the rock, along with 3 sets of guide wires. I knew the rock was there but thought it was deeper then what they been finding it 19 to 24 inches.
Deal was they build and maintained the corral and I can use it when they are not using it for a few days in the spring and fall.

I guess there is an outfit from Joseph or Enterprise that drill thru rock, charges $70/hr and I guess it really can drill the holes. A guy near us had it done and the nieghbor watched for awhile. We may check into it.

Nicky said:
I guess there is an outfit from Joseph or Enterprise that drill thru rock, charges $70/hr and I guess it really can drill the holes. A guy near us had it done and the nieghbor watched for awhile. We may check into it.
this is mineral cleat like in yellowstone you drill thru it there nothing under neith it.

jodywy said:
Nicky said:
this is mineral cleat like in yellowstone you drill thru it there nothing under neith it.

aha, I get it

Sounds like a good place for free standing panels. We've been collecting them for a few years and they work great. Ours are made of 2 7/8" pipe by 24' long and don't push around easily. In high pressure areas it's a good idea to push in a wood post (2' would be enough) just to back them up.

Latest posts