• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Not my favorite Job.

Help Support Ranchers.net:

will be watching this thread closely as we are in the same situation.

and NO, since the dealers won't let you test drive without salesguy along, it's just no fun at all :wink: :lol:

but have just about had my fill of mechanic's/shop's at 100$/hour plus guessing at what the problem is

Big Muddy rancher said:
burnt said:
Shopping.

The family vehicle is dying.

Is there any way to make this more fun? :???:

Just send the wife out with a blank check. :D

What are you thinking about?
SUV? Mini van? Car?

Truth be known, I'd trust her more than myself in that situation! Plus let her stress out over it, right?

Well the '03 Caravan is about done. 365K's (227,000 mi.) with almost zero repairs in its lifetime other than brakes and tires. And like you, hay guy, I don't like the repair estimate either for brakes, ABS system, broken suspension, etc.

Since the kids are all growed up, we don't usually have more than just the two of us traveling together anymore. So don't really need a minivan again.

But we don't like the idea of a car so much since they build them so low to the ground nowadays, if you know what I mean. :wink:

Maybe a smaller SUV since the pickup does all the "heavy hauling".

Burnt, have i got a deal for you!!! :D A "vintage" slightly used SUV that also has the resale value of having my head imprint on the windshield. :wink: :D Let's visit and see what it will take to get you in this dream SUV today! :lol: :lol:

burnt said:
Wow that imprint in the windshield will make your SUV worth far more than I could ever afford! :wink:

I would be willing to throw in a nice, tender hamburger cow to sweeten the deal Burnt! Even aging as we speak! :shock: You need a vacation from all the cold right. It was a balmy -9F here this morning. :D

Katrina if I knew what I want I wouldn't be fussin about it now would I!

I'm warming up to the idea that BMr threw out there of giving her the checkbook and telling her to go find wheels. She's the tough negotiator, not me.

I go out there with a big tough attitude and end up being a complete wuss when it comes down to the dealing. All bark no bite.

Nope, not her, she just gets kinda quiet and stubborn and kinda pushy in such a nice way but she gets it done. Now I wouldn't right out and say she's got attitude but I sure wouldn't insult her by saying she's got no backbone.

Anyway, the first time I went out truck shopping I told the salesman that I just wanted a plain old farm truck. He asks what do you want on it. I said oh this and that and maybe that other thing and he was busy writing it up

When I was done he said I thought you said you just wanted a plain old farm truck. I said "I DO"!

So maybe that's another reason I should just give her the checkbook. But honey don't forget, I'd like to have this gizmo on it and maybe that . . . whaaat you don't wanna get me a sunroof? :cry:

:D

Burnt, you big chicken.. get your big boy panties on and go with her...... She can negotiate.... Like good cop bad cop..... The local dealeship told me after the last vehical deal to send roscoe not me....... Must be a girl thingy....

katrina said:
Burnt, you big chicken.. get your big boy panties on and go with her...... She can negotiate.... Like good cop bad cop..... The local dealeship told me after the last vehical deal to send roscoe not me....... Must be a girl thingy....

Yah it must be. Y'all are so good at it that it's a wonder nobody has come up with a nice name for it! Like super-bargainer or such like . . . :)

1/2 ton, 4 door, shortbox pickup. Ya got the fambly car. Ya got the fit the groceries in the back set rig. Ya got the "pick up a few parts Honey" truck. Ya got the 4 wheel drive. It's not big enough that you want to load it with much.

Ya won't look like a 50+ old mini-van mom and it will be pretty snazzy going out and about. :wink: :D

Our 97 Ford F150, 3 door is getting a bit crocked up also but it's got 400,000 pretty tough kms on it and hasn't cost much til the last year.

Yup, nice little f150 Ecoboost is what I got Mrs. Silver this spring. Awesome little truck. I have a 2010 Dodge for my day job and I'm not even all that sad when it breaks down (it's a dodge, it does that a lot :mad: ) because driving her truck is like days off after banging around in that lumber wagon!

F350 CREWCAB DUALLY thats what I got for christmas. Mine has a V-10 not a real diesel fan and the Mrs won't ride in a stinky diesel. Anyhow she's the wheeler dealer I'm pretty good but she squeezed another $1000 out of them plus $500 gift card to Walmart which she liked. I've had it a month now and put on about 1000 miles It's not SUPPOSE to go to the farm but here lately it's making the journey. We have a 2007 Honda Civic we bought new it has 175,000 miles on it and I could smell antifreeze ended up with a cracked block that was under a recall as long as it was under 8 years old unlimited miles so Honda put a new motor in the car we've been very impressed with our Honda service wish they made a smaller pickup that got the milage the civic does I'd buy one.

hayguy said:
will be watching this thread closely as we are in the same situation.

and NO, since the dealers won't let you test drive without salesguy along, it's just no fun at all :wink: :lol:

but have just about had my fill of mechanic's/shop's at 100$/hour plus guessing at what the problem is

Hayguy........it's a little disturbing that you can't have a bit of fun with a salesman strapped in for the ride...........why just a touch of down home country
style motoring should have the guy beggin to get out.......an that's when the REAL dealing can begin! :lol: :wink:

burnt said:
Big Muddy rancher said:
burnt said:
Shopping.

The family vehicle is dying.

Is there any way to make this more fun? :???:

Just send the wife out with a blank check. :D

What are you thinking about?
SUV? Mini van? Car?

Truth be known, I'd trust her more than myself in that situation! Plus let her stress out over it, right?

Well the '03 Caravan is about done. 365K's (227,000 mi.) with almost zero repairs in its lifetime other than brakes and tires. And like you, hay guy, I don't like the repair estimate either for brakes, ABS system, broken suspension, etc.

Since the kids are all growed up, we don't usually have more than just the two of us traveling together anymore. So don't really need a minivan again.

But we don't like the idea of a car so much since they build them so low to the ground nowadays, if you know what I mean. :wink:

Maybe a smaller SUV since the pickup does all the "heavy hauling".

Tam has a smaller Nissan pick up and she likes it except I don't think it gets that great of mileage. It's 4 doors and 4 wheel drive. Britt got a Honda CRV AWD. Around town when it's slippery it's way better then the 4X4 as you only have a 2 wheel drive until you lock it in. For just a run around around my vote would be for a AWD SUV on the mid size range. The CRV is small for me at 6'3" but I liked our Nissan Murano. My sister and oldest daughter drive Santa Fe's.

I love my Yukon, except for the fuel mileage. If I could get anything
I wanted, I think I'd get the GMC Acadia. They are sporty, roomy,
either AWD or 4WD (not sure) and ride really nice. And get better fuel
mileage than the Yukon. When we took the Yukon to Canada and Alaska in
2010, however, it got 22 mph. People tell me you have better fuel
than we do in the US. One thing worth mentioning about the Yukon
(also Chevrolet Tahoe), we get the 'air ride' which is automatic
leveling so when we have a load in it, it stays level. Pretty important to us, so that's why we have the Yukon and not the Acadia.

Our daughter has a Ford Edge that she just loves.
I guess it's okay, but I think it has a lot of road noise.

Good luck, burnt. Let us know what you decide.

In November I bought a 2012 Hyundai Elantra Touring. It is a small 5 dr hatch wagon with 2.0 4cyl and 4 speed automatic. Has a lot of room in in, about the same as many smaller SUV's.

Conservative driving on the highway will deliver a solid 30 mpg. My last tank of E10 that included a lot of winter idling and some town driving was 28.8 mpg.

I went back to the dealer yesterday for the first oil change around 2900 miles. Good, bad, or ugly, I bit on buying the extended warranty that covers most everything for 10yrs/100000 miles. First 3 oil changes and 2 tire rotations are included in the first 12 months. The extra warranty cost about $2K. Total cost of the car including warranty was under $20K.

I also bit on the 0% for 3 yrs financing. Full coverage insurance with $500 deductible is around $300/yr.

I bought an aluminum grill insert online. I hope it stops small birds and big grasshoppers. Might even put some old fashioned window screen in there to protect those delicate radiator and cooler fins. Plan to take the car over to the co-op guys tomorrow and let them put it on in their nice warm shop. Also got a set of seat covers for the front seat.

Don't buy a 09 ford f150.... Rearends and trannys are bad..I like 03 dodge hemi,has bookoos miles and not the best on gas...... My yota camey hybird we love..36 easy for gas milage.In the fourties if ya drive right.. I think that I woud like a yota pickup...

Latest posts