• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

oats and bears

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Silver

Reaction score
Finished cutting oats today. Good thing, because tonight there were 6 adult beears eating it up. They can ruin alot of feed.
However, tomorrow is my favorite time of year as it is the first day of elk season. Every morning when I get up I can hear them bugleing up and down the valley. Life is good. Too bad they eat oats too. :?

DSCF1136.jpg

got a call one day about cows being out and went ripping over there but was a little herd of 8 bears they are sure messy but fun to watch lol. Ty's got his eye on a big cinnamon here but were mulie hunting for next few days.

A few years ago I had a runnning battle with some bears - one field of about 160 acres.

Score

B.C. and friends - 12
Bears - 0

B.C.

Nice pictures Silver,thanks for sharing em,how's the house going ?Better get it done boy be plenty cold shortly.....................good luck PS post a picture of that 6 point bull when you get him :wink:

HAY MAKER said:
Nice pictures Silver,thanks for sharing em,how's the house going ?Better get it done boy be plenty cold shortly.....................good luck PS post a picture of that 6 point bull when you get him :wink:

Now that baling is finishing up I hope to get serious about the house. Just have to finish the bathroom and plumb it, then it will be liveable.
It froze pretty good here last night, elk bugled all night and kept me awake. I was on a decent 6 point this morning, but I don't want to shoot the first thing that comes along . What would I do for the rest of the season?

PS, that's a pretty nice house you've got there yourself, where did you get the stone and did you put it up yourself?

Anytime somebody wants to go bear hunting come and see me....lots of black buggers around here. If there not trying to stir up the old cows then theyre eating oats!! Think its there next fav food to berries and Canadian beef!! :wink: We ve been having a problem with a damn bobcat around here lately, if i can get a picture of him Ill post it. He has taken down a few calves. :(

Bobcat taking down calves? Really? I've never heard of such a thing. Of course, we don't have bobcats here. Although we do have their larger cousin, the lynx, and have never had a problem. Are you fall calving?

Fall colors?? what's that? hehe we go from green to frozen leaves on the trees that turn brown... very seldom do we get to see leaves change colors cuz it's usually a blue norther blow in and go from 80 to freezin in a matter of a few hours.

Yeah, fall is coming early here this year. Lots of colour already. Mostly all of our trees are poplar, lots of spruce, some alder and birch. In the pic it's poplar.
Wolverines come through but have never given any trouble.
Here is a couple of more 'fall pics' from this morning

oats freshly cut
oats.jpg

my honey hole (with no elk in it :cry: )
honeyhole.jpg

freshly baled greenfeed
bales.jpg

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
hmmmm they gittin their daily fiber I guess.. great pic, I never knew bears ate stuff like that.

Few years ago they had a major derailment up in the mountains near Glacier Park--several overturned carloads of corn were just left there...The grizzly bears would come down by the tracks to get the corn- train crews were having a terrible time to keep from hitting them- especially after the corn fermented and turned the bears into a bunch of alkys-- they said their is nothing funnier than to watch a drunk grizzly stumbling around the mountainside......

Silver said:
HAY MAKER said:

Now that baling is finishing up I hope to get serious about the house. Just have to finish the bathroom and plumb it, then it will be liveable.
It froze pretty good here last night, elk bugled all night and kept me awake. I was on a decent 6 point this morning, but I don't want to shoot the first thing that comes along . What would I do for the rest of the season?

PS, that's a pretty nice house you've got there yourself, where did you get the stone and did you put it up yourself?

The rock for my house was dozed up a couple miles from here,they use a dozer with rippers and rip it up ,it comes up in thick sheets.I got a lot here on the place too but it leaves a helluva mess so I had it brought in and some mexican boys put it up.ILL say one thing silver that's some mighty nice looking fields,how long is your growing season?...........good luck PS you better get that 6 point while you can,I know I have let nice bucks walk past and then regretted it,what's the limit on elk?

Silver-----beautiful pix!!! Sure got yourself some pretty land up there!!! Nice and green...and not another house in sight----just what I like---peace and quiet!!
Hope we get to see some more pix soon of your home and how she is coming along!! Take care and best of luck with those bears!! :wink:

HAY MAKER said:
Silver said:
HAY MAKER said:

The rock for my house was dozed up a couple miles from here,they use a dozer with rippers and rip it up ,it comes up in thick sheets.I got a lot here on the place too but it leaves a helluva mess so I had it brought in and some mexican boys put it up.ILL say one thing silver that's some mighty nice looking fields,how long is your growing season?...........good luck PS you better get that 6 point while you can,I know I have let nice bucks walk past and then regretted it,what's the limit on elk?

Well that rock does look nice. I bet it stays cool in the day and warm at night like a good log house.
Tonight I bugled a 6 point in to about 25 feet. Didn't shoot though.... still trying to figure out why. 'Course when you got a freezer full of good beef it does take the urgency out of the situation. I enjoy the hunt so much I hate the thoughts of ending it. Bag limit is one and the season last til halloween, so there is lots of time. If it had been lighter I would have taken a pic of it for you.
Growing season here doesn't start til end of april, and its about done now. Folks are starting to harvest cereal crops now, and I see lots of canola on the ground. Alfalfa regrowth for grazing is still happening, but a couple more frosts and its all over.

the_jersey_lilly_2000 said:
hmmmm they gittin their daily fiber I guess.. great pic, I never knew bears ate stuff like that.
Bears are omnivorous! :shock: They eat anything. Including us! :eek: they eat fish, elk, deer, ants, grubs, grass, OATS, wheat, hay, tree leaves, berries, vegetable gardens, chickens, turkeys - even each other! But I don't think that they will eat cucumbers. I know that hogs won't eat cucumbers. And I won't eat cumcumbers. I don't know if that puts me in the same classification as a hog or not. Ha Ha - see - I beat you guys to it, didn't I? :lol:

Silver said:
HAY MAKER said:
Silver said:

Well that rock does look nice. I bet it stays cool in the day and warm at night like a good log house.
Tonight I bugled a 6 point in to about 25 feet. Didn't shoot though.... still trying to figure out why. 'Course when you got a freezer full of good beef it does take the urgency out of the situation. I enjoy the hunt so much I hate the thoughts of ending it. Bag limit is one and the season last til halloween, so there is lots of time. If it had been lighter I would have taken a pic of it for you.
Growing season here doesn't start til end of april, and its about done now. Folks are starting to harvest cereal crops now, and I see lots of canola on the ground. Alfalfa regrowth for grazing is still happening, but a couple more frosts and its all over.

Silver are you gun or bow hunting,sounds to me like you are talking bow...............good luck PS post some more pictures of that country that one photo of a meadow looked like prime elk habitat.

Latest posts