• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Obama chooses minister for inaugeration - SURPRISE!

Help Support Ranchers.net:

reader (the Second) said:
Obama is getting it from the left and Warren from the right.

It's clear that there is nothing Obama can do that would be acceptable to some people.

My opinion is that Obama is a man who respects faith and for that reason respects Warren who is reportedly an amazing man. I don't think the choice was only for political purposes and certainly not cynical reasons. Obama won by enough that he could choose to shut the door on those who did not support him. He risks a lot by choosing Warren. I believe that he genuinely wants to put polarization behind us. If this is true, I applaud him loudly. We have too many problems in the U.S. to allow the polarization to divide us. We have to work together to keep America a great country and the land of opportunity and a light unto the nations in terms of being a real melting pot unlike any other country.

Why is it Obama's (or any Dem/Liberal) responsibility to "reach out" to the rightwingnuts? He's made a mistake here and I'm glad he's being "informed" of that mistake. While I believe Obama has good intentions, that he wants to heal the divide in this country, I don't think HE/WE need to do ALL the reaching out. Reagan built his political power on racism and exclusion of minorities, the weak, the sick. The Republican Party has done very well by harping on those themes for a lot of years. We have an intelligent, minority president and what does he do? He "reaches out" to the same people who have divided this country for years along the lines of race and economic status. I'm not even gay and I don't like this decision. Everyone should be included in the processes of this country; but I think (at least hope) that Obama will learn pretty quick that "reaching out" to these people only reassures them that they are right in their intolerance. And Warren is intolerant of homosexuality.

fff said:
Obama is getting it from the left and Warren from the right.

It's clear that there is nothing Obama can do that would be acceptable to some people.

My opinion is that Obama is a man who respects faith and for that reason respects Warren who is reportedly an amazing man. I don't think the choice was only for political purposes and certainly not cynical reasons. Obama won by enough that he could choose to shut the door on those who did not support him. He risks a lot by choosing Warren. I believe that he genuinely wants to put polarization behind us. If this is true, I applaud him loudly. We have too many problems in the U.S. to allow the polarization to divide us. We have to work together to keep America a great country and the land of opportunity and a light unto the nations in terms of being a real melting pot unlike any other country.

Why is it Obama's (or any Dem/Liberal) responsibility to "reach out" to the rightwingnuts? He's made a mistake here and I'm glad he's being "informed" of that mistake. While I believe Obama has good intentions, that he wants to heal the divide in this country, I don't think HE/WE need to do ALL the reaching out. Reagan built his political power on racism and exclusion of minorities, the weak, the sick. The Republican Party has done very well by harping on those themes for a lot of years. We have an intelligent, minority president and what does he do? He "reaches out" to the same people who have divided this country for years along the lines of race and economic status. I'm not even gay and I don't like this decision. Everyone should be included in the processes of this country; but I think (at least hope) that Obama will learn pretty quick that "reaching out" to these people only reassures them that they are right in their intolerance. And Warren is intolerant of homosexuality.

I don't know that Warren is someone who divides this country. I suspect that he is a good man and respected by Obama. He can oppose gay marriage and still not hate gay people or oppose their having parental rights etc. I believe he opposes gay marriage because of his religious beliefs and that he is a real thinker. I could be wrong and we'll have to watch and see and I will have to read more of his views.

This country is terribly polarized and I applaud Obama for wanting to do something about the polarization. It is dangerous.

I don't think Warren is a good man. He campaigned hard for prop 8 in CA. He has compared gays to pedophiles and rapists and has used his fame and popularity to spread misinformation and hate-filled speech about gays. There were thousands of ministers Obama could have chosen, safe, easy names. This is a political statement from him and I think it was a very bad one.

kolanuraven said:
This whole thing is STUPID. This Whatshisface preacher from SaddleBack is not ......IS NOT.............IS NOT............. the only preacher there and he's not taking over the whole show. :roll: :roll: :roll:

I personally don't care much for preachers nor bankers, lawyers and insurance salespeople, so I'm not biased in that aspect. They're all wanting to get in your pocket book.

BUT...........at first you all were scared shiteless and COMPLETELY CONVINCED that he- Obama- was Muslim...well now if that be so...why in the world would ANY Muslim have a evangelical preacher at his inauguration?????

Hmmmmmmmmmmm?????????????????????

He's got to have a Christian because he's been telling everybody that he's a Christian, it's a simple as that. That's the label that he wants now.

However, one should listen to his comments on the Bible and then decide if he's a Christian or not...

Obama even gets a white evangelical preacher.....one of " your" type...and you can't be pleased with that even.

You are hopeless.

Someone kisses your arse and gives you what you want and you're STILL not happy.

:roll: :roll:

kolanuraven said:
Obama even gets a white evangelical preacher.....one of " your" type...and you can't be pleased with that even.

You are hopeless.

Someone kisses your arse and gives you what you want and you're STILL not happy.

Sandhusker is an example of why Obama choosing Warren is a mistake. It's not going to make Obama any friends in that crowd and was a slap in the face of the gay rights community. Not that it will stop the growing acceptance of gay rights in this country.

kolanuraven said:

You are hopeless.

Bring my quote where I said I wasn't pleased or assume the "hopeless" crown yourself.

Sandhusker said:
kolanuraven said:

You are hopeless.

Bring my quote where I said I wasn't pleased or assume the "hopeless" crown yourself.

No one has to quote you. :!: :!: :!: ....you always grumble...never give ANYONE one ounce of a chance or even a doubt in your narrow dark mind.

fff - I'll take a closer look at Warren. Not to make any more enemies here but I want to tell a story. A while back I took a road trip and visited my old grad school friends. Of all of them, the women had been abandoned by their husbands in a male mid-life crisis, some of them had further been abused. Their families, including lovely children, had been left hurting because the father chose the easy way to succumb to a younger woman who hero worshiped instead of his partner and wife. Of all my friends, the ones who had remained together were a gay male couple who have been together 27 years and who took advantage of the window of opportunity to get married in California last summer.

Frankly, having seen my husband die, I no longer get wound around the axle about these things. If two people find happiness with each other, they have my blessing. I don't ask that the churches and synagogues change their views and allow gay marriage but believe me, two faithful and loving members of the same gender who stick together for 3 decades teach me more about love than fathers and husbands who flee their marriages into the arms of young single women who fawn on them.

Hate me for my associations. It does not matter. I recognize love and faithfulness when I see it :)

You'll see Warren defending himself against the gay complaints by saying he and his church visit people in hospitals dying from AIDS and comfort those with HIV. I wonder why no one has asked him what's the difference in a homosexual man dying in a hospital and one looking for work or trying to join the military or trying to create a life with a loving partner? Why does one deserve his love and compassion, yet he compares the other to a criminal? It would be interesting to see his response.

Don't worry about enemies here. If you don't walk in lock step with Sandhusker, etc., they'll hate your guts anyway. :D

kolanuraven said:
Sandhusker said:
kolanuraven said:

You are hopeless.

No one has to quote you. :!: :!: :!: ....you always grumble...never give ANYONE one ounce of a chance or even a doubt in your narrow dark mind.

So then you can't bring anything to support your accuasation that I'm not pleased. You're hopeless.

After somebody shows a pattern of lies and BS, you're right, I don't give them much of a chance. You show me what you're made of, and I'll act accordingly. Tigers don't change their stripes.

Sandhusker said:
You show me what you're made of,

EXCUSE ME!!!!

:roll: :roll: :roll: :roll:

Who died and make you King?

You need to go back and count paperclips at the bank.

I'm dealing with a Liberal, so I'll put it as simple as I can;

If you lie, you're a liar, and I won't believe you.
If you show yourself untrustworthy, I won't trust you.

What happened to The Golden Rule? Forgiveness? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you? The capacity for each of us to repent?

Illogic rules again. I certainly believe that you, Sandhusker, can change your stripes, although it may be difficult because you may be set in your ways. I embrace flexibility, it's a necessary attribute for modern life else you will break in two.

As for Kola, I suspect she likes pulling your chain and you would do better to not react :)

Sorry, Reader, but in the real world, somebody who lies 57 times is probably going to spew #58 shortly. Forgiveness has it's place, but so does common sense.

Sandhusker said:

You don't trust me????? :???: :???: :???: <<<swoon icon here>>

Oh...lawsie me, somebody run get my smellin' salts....... how will I ever sleep tonight???

It shall keep me awake all this night and I shall worry my little self sick about it.

Just the knowledge that some play-like banker with WAY too much time on his hands.... in the middle of NEBRASKA :roll: :roll: does not trust me.......ohhhhh....that cuts deep man....deep!!!! <falling on sword icon here>>

Pizz off Husker and spread your hate and doom and gloom to your flock...some of us don't buy into it.

I bet you scrooch down look under your bed every nite..... :roll: :roll:

Sandhusker said:
What happened to The Golden Rule? Forgiveness? Do unto others as you would have them do unto you? The capacity for each of us to repent?

Illogic rules again. I certainly believe that you, Sandhusker, can change your stripes, although it may be difficult because you may be set in your ways. I embrace flexibility, it's a necessary attribute for modern life else you will break in two.

As for Kola, I suspect she likes pulling your chain and you would do better to not react :)

Sorry, Reader, but in the real world, somebody who lies 57 times is probably going to spew #58 shortly. Forgiveness has it's place, but so does common sense.

:clap:

kolanuraven said:
Sandhusker said:

You don't trust me????? :???: :???: :???: <<<swoon icon here>>

Oh...lawsie me, somebody run get my smellin' salts....... how will I ever sleep tonight???

It shall keep me awake all this night and I shall worry my little self sick about it.

Just the knowledge that some play-like banker with WAY too much time on his hands.... in the middle of NEBRASKA :roll: :roll: does not trust me.......ohhhhh....that cuts deep man....deep!!!! <falling on sword icon here>>

Pizz off Husker and spread your hate and doom and gloom to your flock...some of us don't buy into it.

I bet you scrooch down look under your bed every nite..... :roll: :roll:

I'm not talking about YOU, Kola, don't give yourself so much credit. I'm talking about people in general. In the Liberal world of cotton candy clouds and soda-pop rivers, it's all peace, love, and harmony. In the real world, there's many good people, but there's also liars, theives, crooks and all kinds of other nasties. A wise person uses discernment to seperate the good from the bad and acts accordingly, a Liberal doesn't.

Whoops Tam you applauded prematurely. It turns out Sandhusker was not talking about Kola ;)

I'm off to have a lovely dinner out with my son.

Have a great evening everyone and RELAX, it's only politics. It should be more fun and informative and less mean and spiteful

May I suggest the beef? Enjoy your meal.

Whoops Tam you applauded prematurely. It turns out Sandhusker was not talking about Kola ;)

I'm off to have a lovely dinner out with my son.

Have a great evening everyone and RELAX, it's only politics. It should be more fun and informative and less mean and spiteful

Gee I never even thought he was talking about Kola I thought he was talking about You Reader 2 or maybe Obama. :wink:

In 1980, Warren and his wife Kay founded Saddleback Valley Community Church in Lake Forest, Calif., starting with one family. Today it is one of America's most influential congregations, with 83,000 names on the church roll, a 120-acre campus, and over 300 community ministries to various groups, including prisoners, CEOs, children with Down syndrome, addicts, single parents and people with HIV/AIDS.

With the growth of the church, Warren built the Purpose Driven Network, a global alliance of more than 400,000 pastors representing 162 countries and hundreds of denominations who have been trained by Warren and his team. He also founded www.pastors.com, which provides sermons, forums and resources for hundreds of thousands of church leaders. Recognizing the mobilization and growth of the Saddleback ministries, Forbes magazine wrote, "If Saddleback ministry was a business its influence would be compared with Dell, Google or Starbucks."

Several of the innovative ideas Warren began are now commonly used in hundreds of thousands of churches around the world. Before his death, Peter Drucker noted, "Saddleback Church is the Bell Laboratories of Christianity – the R & D department of the Church. Warren has a genius for synthesizing complex ideas and simplifying them into practical models. He's done it by organizing volunteers, preaching sermons, building multiple worship services, mobilizing small groups, creating systems for spiritual growth and networking churches. He's the John Wesley of the 21st Century and the inventor of perpetual revival. But he's also a reformer in the tradition of Wilberforce."

Warren is the author of "The Purpose Driven Life," the best-selling hardback in American history, according to Publisher's Weekly. It has sold 30 million copies in English and was the best-selling book in the world for three years, available in more than 50 languages. His previous book, "The Purpose Driven Church," won the Evangelical Christian Publisher Association Gold Medallion and is listed in "100 Books That Changed the 20th Century." Forbes called it, "The best book on entrepreneurship, management and leadership in print." Warren is the author of a total of six books, which have been translated into a combined 56 languages.

Warren frequently advises leaders in the public, private and faith sectors on poverty, health, education, corruption, leadership development, and faith and ethics in culture. He has been invited to speak to leadership gatherings around the world including Oxford, Cambridge, Harvard's Kennedy School of Government, the World Economic Forum in Davos, the United Nations, the Global Health Summit, the Aspen Ideas Institute, TED, and numerous world congresses. He is a member of the Council on Foreign Relations.

Recognizing the blessings they have been given, the Warrens give away 90 percent of their income through three charities: Acts of Mercy, which serves people with AIDS; Equipping Leaders, which trains leaders in developing countries; and The Global P E A C E Fund, which fights poverty, disease, corruption, and illiteracy using local congregations.

Warren was born in San Jose, Calif. He earned a Bachelor of Arts from California Baptist University, a Master of Divinity from Southwestern Theological Seminary, and a Doctor of Ministry from Fuller Theological Seminary. He is father to Amy, Josh and Matthew, and grandfather to Kaylie, Cassidy and Caleb. The Warrens reside in Southern California.

It should also be noted that Warren was listed as one of "America's 25 Best Leaders" by U.S. News and World Report and "15 People Who Make America Great" in Newsweek, not exactly conservative "right wingnut" publications. Sounds pretty impressive to me. Of course then there's this:

http://www.satansrapture.com/pastor666.htm :lol: :lol:

Latest posts