• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

OK DON TELL ME HOW WRONG THIS RED NECK IS?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

HAY MAKER

Reaction score
Why should the U.S. open its border to Canada -- when other countries will not accept beef from Canada -- and this new rule will keep the export markets of the U.S. closed to our biggest importers, Japan and South Korea?

Why allow a country to ship 70% of its production to the United States just to lower the prices that processors pay? Canadian cattle are used as captive supply by the processors.

Why ignore the *OIE (Office of International Epizootics, also known as the World Organisation for Animal Health http://www.oie.int/eng/en_index.htm ) guidelines to make Canada a minimal risk area, and why claim to follow the OIE guidelines if they are to be ignored to accommodate one country?

Why are Canadians allowed to comment on a **rule promulgated by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)?

This could easily have been handled by the new Secretary of Agriculture.

Why does the USDA http://www.usda.gov/ ignore all input from producers in this country?

The big problems are the overproduction in Canada and the captive supply tactics of the big packers.

I do everything possible to produce quality feeders [feeder cattle], and then I am told by a firm in Colorado that the economic reality is that cattle can be purchased cheaper in Canada.

This border reopening has caused divisiveness among beef producers in this country. These cattle should all meet the requirements for the animal identification program being worked on by the USDA, and the meat product should be labeled as to country of origin (COOL) as will be required by law in Fall of 2005.

I believe it is the crime of the century that our foods aren't labeled as to country of origin at the retail level, and that so many well-funded lobbyists work expressly to prevent consumers from having that knowledge.

Canada has never been a good trading partner ... look at their tactics to keep U.S. feeder cattle from going north.

well hay maker i'd say you're pretty wrong.

Why should the U.S. open its border to Canada -- when other countries will not accept beef from Canada -- and this new rule will keep the export
markets of the U.S. closed to our biggest importers, Japan and South Korea.

You can open the border because you're obligated to under trade agreements signed by your government and the risk mitigation measures in the new rule safeguard the american herd and consumer. judge cebull obviously don't know much about bse or he would have handed down a different decision because in granting the injunction and his reasoning he has said the food safety measures applied to beef in the states don't work.

Why allow a country to ship 70% of its production to the United States just to lower the prices that processors pay? Canadian cattle are used as captive supply by the processors

We don't ship seventy per cent of our production south. You get seventy per cent of our exports. as far as using canadian cattle to control the american prices that's absurd. we don't have the numbers to be able to do that. cattle up here are priced basis your markets. you gotta stop listening and start thinking.

Why ignore the *OIE (Office of International Epizootics, also known as the World Organisation for Animal Health http://www.oie.int/eng/en_index.htm ) guidelines to make Canada a minimal risk area, and why claim to follow the OIE guidelines if they are to be ignored to accommodate one country?

From what tam posted yesterday the us is not following oie guidlines in keeping the border closed.

Why are Canadians allowed to comment on a **rule promulgated by the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)?

I guess because canada is affected by the rule and ruling. why were american inspectors allowed into our slaughter houses? same thing; we're trading partners.

Why does the USDA http://www.usda.gov/ ignore all input from producers in this country?

Ask the usda. could be the quality of comment: Please keep the border closed, we're finally making some money and the poor american rancher needs to be protected. oh, by the way we need safe food.

The big problems are the overproduction in Canada and the captive supply tactics of the big packers.

I do everything possible to produce quality feeders [feeder cattle], and then I am told by a firm in Colorado that the economic reality is that cattle can be purchased cheaper in Canada

I guess it's only overproduction if it's coming into your country. your grain farmers must be overproducing too. The big problem for you is that there are people in the world able to produce at lower cost. That isn't overproduction. That's competitive advantage and i thought americans loved to compete.

This border reopening has caused divisiveness among beef producers in this country. These cattle should all meet the requirements for the animal identification program being worked on by the USDA, and the meat product should be labeled as to country of origin (COOL) as will be required by law in Fall of 2005.

I believe it is the crime of the century that our foods aren't labeled as to country of origin at the retail level, and that so many well-funded lobbyists work expressly to prevent consumers from having that knowledge.

The divisiveness has nothing to do with canada. that's your internal politics at work. mcool - bring it on. more and more canadians want you to have mcool. i think it could do more for me than for you.

Canada has never been a good trading partner ... look at their tactics to keep U.S. feeder cattle from going north.

Yeah, there are lots of people in the world you get along better with. How many interstate regs do you have for movement of cattle within your own country? I'm sure all the rest of your trading partners are more fair than canada; japan, korea, the european union. maybe both canada and the states should reduce their reliance on each other. but the american packers seem to like harmonization; that's canada's fault too.

Have a good day hay maker. Just a tip; when bullard and his friends start feeding you the propaganda, ask yourself if it makes sense. Canada ain't your problem. If the packers are eating you alive, beating the crap out of canadian cattlemen ain't gonna fix it. It's probably just entertainment for the packers.

"Canada has never been a good trading partner ... look at their tactics to keep U.S. feeder cattle from going north"

Pulleeeez ...... get real.

There are as many regulations interstate as there are between Canada and the U.S. regarding anaplasmosis/bluetongue. Tactics? Requesting a simple blood test is a tactic? No one said the cattle couldn't come here, they just want to be sure of their health first. Why should we give up our designation as being free of these diseases? What have we gotten in return?

As for good trading partners, the Canadian Wheat Board has been challenged under NAFTA and the WTO every year for the past 13 years by our 'good trading partners' in your country. The ruling has been IN FAVOUR of Canada 13 TIMES IN A ROW!!!

What part of "You are wrong, Canada is trading fairly" do they not understand? :???: Obviously all of it, because every year, as sure as shootin, they are back in court again.

General feeling up here is that if you don't like the rules, because you don't come out on top, you'll just keep at it until the rules change until you do. Trade is a two way street. Canada is America's best customer for goods you export, but too many conveniently forget that. :!:

Manitoba_Rancher said:
haymaker has taken over where the guy from nebraska left off. :roll:

NO I havent,MR I have a great deal of respect for the canadian cattle man ,but we will see both sides of the issuses dont take it personal.........good luck

Haymaker you asked

Maybe because they read to many of these kinds of submissions

Please give your interpretation regarding a quarrel between me and my husband. We have bought Alpacas, ruminant animals. Alpacas from Canada are forbidden from import to the USA. He thinks that number 1 is not true. Is it? My position is that you know the disease infects only four-stomached animals. They cannot be traded and they cause the disease.
Facts:
1. Four-stomached animals cannot be traded between countries as a result of the ban (alpacas, llamas, zebras, camels, etc.) They must be the cause of this disease.
2. Other countries have demonstrated that this disease can be found in single stomach animals and people. Root cause, possibly the environment. Ultimate claim, disease unknown. Is this true?
3. Single stomached animals/people can and do catch this disease. Horses also eat animal by-products. They are not banned, however. Why?
4. Cattle, sheep, deer, elk, horses, people, mice and hamsters can catch this disease. Yet you are banning only the four stomached animals. Why? I am assuming there is evidence. What is it? Please let me know so that I can show to my husband, the skeptic.
My husband's claim is that you have been paid off by certain interest groups. My claim is that you know the root cause and are forbidding animal importation as a result to keep the market solid. Which is it? Thanks in advance.

This was honestly a comment from a US citizen on the APHIS web site for Docket no 03-080-1 Do you think the USDA should have taken this producers input? :???:

Miss Tam I dont even know what a alpacas is.So I really cant say ...................good luck

HAY MAKER said:
Miss Tam I dont even know what a alpacas is.So I really cant say ...................good luck

Don't you watch TV and the I love Alpaca ads? Besides You don't need to know that a Alpaca is a ruminant animal like a Llama to know that this person was badly informed on BSE. As a producer should her input have been considered by the USDA. Personally I think she should have done a little reseach on her own before wasting the USDA's time and money to settle a husband/wife quarrel. I read lots more comments and some were as simple as "we're making good money and you can't open the border as that will hurt our cattle prices!!!" Did these producers bother to research the USA obligations under the WTO/OIE or the USA's obligations under NAFTA. I don't think "but sir we are making money hand over fist you just can't open the border" will get you out of those obligations do you?

I'm sure the USDA did take the creditable input to mind but I read alot of emotional crap in some of those comments from producers but not much science.

Haymaker, I read something and I want you to read it and let me know what you think if you can think for yourself :p

Under no circumstances should the United States accept any cattle, beef or beef products, from countries that do not maintain identical or more stringent safeguard measures that is presently required or presently proposed in the United States and which measures have been enforced for at least as long as the United States

Tam said:
HAY MAKER said:

Don't you watch TV and the I love Alpaca ads? Besides You don't need to know that a Alpaca is a ruminant animal like a Llama to know that this person was badly informed on BSE. As a producer should her input have been considered by the USDA. Personally I think she should have done a little reseach on her own before wasting the USDA's time and money to settle a husband/wife quarrel. I read lots more comments and some were as simple as "we're making good money and you can't open the border as that will hurt our cattle prices!!!" Did these producers bother to research the USA obligations under the WTO/OIE or the USA's obligations under NAFTA. I don't think "but sir we are making money hand over fist you just can't open the border" will get you out of those obligations do you?

I'm sure the USDA did take the creditable input to mind but I read alot of emotional crap in some of those comments from producers but not much science.

Haymaker, I read something and I want you to read it and let me know what you think if you can think for yourself :p

Under no circumstances should the United States accept any cattle, beef or beef products, from countries that do not maintain identical or more stringent safeguard measures that is presently required or presently proposed in the United States and which measures have been enforced for at least as long as the United States

Come on Haymaker aren't you going to answer the lady. :cowboy:

Latest posts