• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

old method of weaning

Help Support Ranchers.net:

WHR

Reaction score
Reading about new ways of weaning made me want ro tell about an old method that maybe seems a little crude but fit the times. In the mid 70's I worked for the Gang Ranch in B.C. and the ranch was and is about 70 miles long and 30 wide and all rough country with mostly old wagon roads to get around on. The cows were weaned about 30 miles from the ranch and run out on swamp meadows until Christmas time when they were brought down closwer to the ranch.
We would gather about 800 cows or so at a time and wean in the corral. The calves were locked in over night and in the morning a few riders would run the cows back a few miles to a pasture and hold them. The rest of the crew would move the calves.
To start with a couple of riders would take some tin cans on a wire an on a hopefully gentle horse ride in among the calves and rattle the calves in a big mill of the pen. A few guys would pull about 3 panels of corral out and the calves would spill out on a dead run with riders tin canning them to keep them at it. It was quite a sight!
We would run them as hard as we could for about three quarters of a mile along a lake then turn them onto a point that jutted out into the water They were held there long enough to catch their breath then started on the trail to Williams Meadow about a dozen miles away. The rest of the trip was pretty uneventful but the first part was a blast.
After the calves arrived at the pasture they were as you can imagine tired
so theylay down and rested. When they got up they were hungry so they ate. I believe very few of then got sick. We justed counted them into the pasture and then rode back to camp.
I did this for a couple of years when they put a road in and started selling the calves and hauling them out on a liner . I consider myself very lucky to have been part of it but I think it might horrify some people. :)

Hard does not mean wrong. Those old timers knew what worked. As times change, conditions change, and so do methods. The method was right for the times, and the change was right too. You are fortunate to have been a part of the old methods, and known the old cowmen.

That would be a real experience. A less than quiet horse would be quiet by the time that was all done (assuming you stayed on). Was that during the Alsager era, or were Rudiger's there then?

RSL said:
That would be a real experience. A less than quiet horse would be quiet by the time that was all done (assuming you stayed on). Was that during the Alsager era, or were Rudiger's there then?
Actually I came and went several times and worked for Floyd Skelton's managers the Sidwells and Bob Muncy, Alsager, the bank,Rudiger and also a short while for the present manager,Larry Ramstad. All added up it was about four years. Alot of change happened during that time to say the least!

WHR said:
RSL said:
Actually I came and went several times and worked for Floyd Skelton's managers the Sidwells and Bob Muncy, Alsager, the bank,Rudiger and also a short while for the present manager,Larry Ramstad. All added up it was about four years. Alot of change happened during that time to say the least!
Did you make it into any of the Marlborough commercials?

Gang Ranch cowboys from the past were known to be a little un-domesticated. :wink: :p

Long time no hear, old friend. How are things in the semi-flatlands?

If you have been reading I'm goatless once more. :D

RSL said:
WHR said:
RSL said:
Did you make it into any of the Marlborough commercials?
I was there one time when they were shooting but if I had to be in the picture they would try to cover me up with one of their guys. It led me to believe that I was'nt very picturesque. Idon't know if I was domesticated or not :)

gcreekrch said:
Gang Ranch cowboys from the past were known to be a little un-domesticated. :wink: :p

I'm not sure if I should tell you or not but we have half a dozen sheep here now. They are not mine, they are my daughter's. I am afraid that once you have sheep, goats are only half a step away. :oops:

WHR said:
RSL said:

Do you know what ever happened to the Sidwells?

Kirk was at Olds when I was there, didn't know him real well. :?

WHR said:
gcreekrch said:

I'm not sure if I should tell you or not but we have half a dozen sheep here now. They are not mine, they are my daughter's. I am afraid that once you have sheep, goats are only half a step away. :oops:

She's in the money.... :wink:

I will likely go to my maker dealing with the fact that I owned one for a time.

Big Muddy rancher said:
WHR said:
RSL said:

Do you know what ever happened to the Sidwells?

Kirk was at Olds when I was there, didn't know him real well. :?
It has been a long time since I've heard of them but the last I know is that Kirk ran a hardware store in Moses Lake, Washington. Gary was in the Kamloops area shoeing horses and Carl had moved back Idaho. I didn't know the others very well.

gcreekrch said:
WHR said:
gcreekrch said:

It is a fact that once you've owned a goat, you can not go back to never having had a goat! :p

WHR said:
gcreekrch said:
WHR said:

It is a fact that once you've owned a goat, you can not go back to never having had a goat! :p

That information is incorrect sir! Actually, after reading your statement again, it is correct! :cry: #$%^&!!!! I curse the day those little suckers showed up and still kick up my heels to know they are gone! But don't tell my kids! :lol:

Latest posts