• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Old Time Values

Help Support Ranchers.net:

The male ego is fragile and one must tread lightly

That is the best joke I heard all day.............oh the memories when someones ego got hurt. The thing that is even funnier is it was a JOKE when someones ego got bruised.

X said:
SDSteve said:
Then how come whenever ethanol is mentioned by Rush Limbaugh or any of the other guys that host his show they say that "if it wasn't for the government handouts ethanol couldn't survive". The "government handouts" they are talking about are actually "tax breaks". I guess all the right-wingers that are continually saying this are " truly ignorant individuals". I guess I already knew this. :D
Are you serious? How in the hell would I know what Rush Limbaugh or any of his guest hosts mean when they say anything? :???:

In fact, I don't possess personal knowledge that any of them have actually even said what you have attributed to them. I have no reason not to believe that you have accurately quoted them, however. Nor do I have reason to doubt that you can look into their minds and know what they intended by their (alleged) comments. Still......do you have a link? :lol:

A link to a radio show come on get real. I don't have a need to make stuff up. You seem to love to spin stuff around. I know it is damn hard to know just what the hell Rush means anytime he opens his mouth. He jumped the shark a divorce and a drug addiction ago. I guess my link is I was baling hay last summer so maybe my 7410 has a link stored somewhere. I never said anything about looking into minds. I was just bringing up your nonsense. I find it hard to believe that all these so-called conservatives are all for a tax break until it comes to ethanol. Then the tax break is either a "subsidy" or a"government handout".

Conservatives are the "get 'er done" type of people that try to be positive in their outlook and accomplishments. They tend to work hard and try to make the world a better place.

Liberals are mostly obstacles in the path of progress. They lack common sense, and will wreck the economy of several states to preserve a spotted owl that would go on living anyway, with or without the lumber industry. They want to see forest areas become jungles of dead plant growth, which in turn becomes tremendous fire hazards. Liberals try to be "arm-chair" ranchers, and want to tell bona-fide ranchers with lifetimes of experience, how to run their ranches.

Liberals are the bunny-huggers and greenie-weenies who think any animal should have more rights than humans. If a mountain lion gets shot because it killed some little kid, the Liberals get all up in arms for the welfare of the lion, and they don't care a hoot for the poor dead kid. Liberals are for aborting and killing an innocent baby because it is "inconvenient", but will go to extreme measures to protect the life of a known murderer or rapist.

Just today, I was visiting with a lady who works for a local tourist ranch, which is owned and operated by the state game and parks. She said she had really been reamed out and raked over the coals this morning. Some travelers stopped at the ranch, and were plumb disgusted that it had such a dirty dusty gravel road leading to the headquarters. They were mad that some of the ranch-owned herd of Herefords was resting on and along the gravel road, which resulted in "cow poop" getting on their cars' tires. (Did they not realize that no one was holding a gun to their backs "forcing" them to visit the ranch? Ten feet off the black-top, they should have figured out that the next road was dusty dirty gravel, and they could have turned around at any time. Even had they driven for half a mile before encountering the first cow poop upon the trail, they could have still turned around even then.) Instead they drove clear into the visitor's center to issue their complaints to a lady who had nothing to do with establishing the historic ranch. She told them to file their grievances with the State of Nebraska, and then not to complain when their taxes go up to pay for all these "improvements". After listening to my friend's rough day at the office, my comment was, "I'll make you a bet that those tourists voted for Al Gore." And I bet I'd be right if there was a way to find out. :wink: It was sure the typical Liberal attitude that came shining through.

well, I was up front and not ashamed so I layed out what I took back from the Govt. last year, and somehow HWM got a burr under her saddle, and it has worked its way so far up it winks at her when she brushes her teeth,

let me clear this up, and try to follow along HMW.

yes, I take the govt payments, and yes I detest welfare, but I believe they are two very different things.
Number one, I am a producer, I add to society, I keep money in circulation I EARN my money, then am taxed.

now this tax money goes out to many different programs, one is the welfare program, the other ag subsidies......

in an effort to regain my losses ( money taken from me by the govt.) I take the govt. checks. why? because the sumbitches took it from me first!

the other end of the spectrum is some crack whore baby factory sitting at home doing nothing but breeding, adding little to society, giving nothing back, just waiting on that govt check(which is my money) and the whole time she knows if she can get knocked up again, that means a bigger payday.

huge difference, if you can not see the difference, then I suppose I will just give up.

you really are coming across like a spoiled little brat. if you are too proud to take the govt $$$ then good for you, me, I see it as a way to get what I have EARNED back from the crooks like Kennedy and Kerry who want to use it as vote bait.

if Limbaugh is a hate monger, then what are the Dems?? they say things like "the republicans want to end school lunch, they want your kids to starve to death" " the Republicans want to end social ssec. they hate old people" " Bush wanted all the blacks to die in New Orleans"

all bull.

I wonder what will happen first? HMW calms down or Kennedy's liver gives out"

careful there Soapweed, you are gonna get lumped in with all us conservatives, talking like that!

It's okay, guys. I'm proud to stand with you as a fellow CONSERVATIVE.

You both had good posts, IMO. I liked 'em.
I also think liberals CREATE problems, if they didn't they wouldn't
have a platform. It does them no good to see problems solved thats
why they never FIX anything.

Tap said:
I have given a lot of thought over the years about how either political party fits the values of agriculture and rural america. While neither party may be right 100% of the time, it is my opinion that the conservatives, on the right, represent what we need, and has been good for America.

I am very sure that I don't know everything there is to know about my ansestors, but from the things I do know, I think our culture was better off with the values of earlier times. Look at what all things modern have done to the choices kids have to make these days. In my grandparents era there was no rap music, drugs, drive by shootings, etc. for kids to get involved with. Maybe these things were inevitable with the fast pace of our world, but I sure don't think you could call it "progress". I am also for the rights of citizens, but not for poor choices. Being liberal means anything goes, with no consequences. I just heard of a judge giving a criminal a very light sentence because his traumatic childhood outweighed the severity of the crime. What the heck does that have to do with how the victim of the crime was treated by the criminal? We don't need those sort of thinkers in our legal system.

I am trying not to aim this at any one person in particuar (on this board), but it just baffles me how those that want any non-dependancy on our government, can support loonies like Al Gore, Ted Kennedy, and John Kerry? I think they are the sort of thinkers that those who came to the US to start a new country wanted to leave behind. And now some want to run right back to that kind of government.

:???:

I think the writer of this post see's life as better in the 1950's and 60's.I dissagree,and offer a few reasons to show how hard life was for many back then.

The grossly never mentioned disfunction,inside the family unit,during the 40's and 50's could no longer be swept under rugs....Women were forced to grow to-gether and created a movement,yet to be matched by anyothers,just to be treated fairly....People were looked down apon, because of the color of thier skin.A young hard working seamstress named rosa parks,decided not to sit in the back of the bus as ordered,she was arrestted and jailed for civil dissobedience,the date:Dec 1 1955.....As far as choices for children?Look at the oppertunities that lay ahead for them,just in education alone its is endless...

It is the children of the "ME" generation,that the hippy generation of the sixties and seventies raised.Now these Hippie's Children are raising kids of thier own.This generation of now adults are a selfish generation(dubbed the "ME" generation for that reason),but who raised the hippy generation?....it was the families of the 40's and 50's generation,so really,where does the blame stop?....

Medicine,travel,world knowledge,the internet,entertainment,tools of labour, auto's,corrected sight with out glasses(who would of thought) are just a few positive changes in many folks lives today

Change will always bring adversity,but going backwards is not the answer ( in my opinion).The strides,that the many areas of life has taken since most of our grandparents raised families,has been nothing but phenominal.If one slows down,and takes a look at these strides with an open mind,he or she may see this too.

AS for dependency on goverment,That will change soon.The abundance of oppertunity will soon surpass the population number and therefore opening up,new gates of generational problems,for those running goverment infrastructers and personal families..Change is for-ever upon us humans,it is what makes us motivated to survive..there is a saying that goes "so many things change,but some things stay the same"....its the small things that stay the same that count...those are smiles,spirutaul beliefs and a Sunday morning coffee on the sundeck.....

Cows still eat grass,but it is now motorized four wheelers chasing them around the pastures,,,,,I wonder,do you think cows say to themselves?....Geeze,i sure miss thoughs old four legged criters they used to use,they seemed so much quieter.. :D ...Keep the good memorries of days past,but still dream of the future,you really just never know,what is in store next.

I am a conservative because im all for the little guy.
I have been on my own since I was 15YO. Seems to me that Liberal governments who claim to want to help the little guy actually do the opposite.
I have worked my a$$ off trying to get ahead and all my life and the government is always what has stood in my way.
Try getting ahead when you are paying 50% income tax and then paying 17% sales tax!
I did create a sucessful Christmas tree business. Then the Federal Liberal government subsidized huge Christmas tree plantations in Quebec which flooded the market and brought prices down to a point that put me out of business.
I never had the capital to own farm land after my christmas tree business went under. But what I did was go around and rent old abandoned farm land back east. I had a small cow herd.
Then the liberal government made laws that would have forced me to not allow my cattle to drink out of the creeks. I would have had to fence off all the creeks and drill wells for my cattle. I was not about to do this for two reasons. #1 It wasnt my land and I only had verbal agreements with the land owners. #2 There wasnt enough money into it to do it.
Then I started I firewood business. I would pay land owners a stumpage fee. I would cut and process the wood myself and sell it.
Well then the liberal government made it illegal for me to work in the woods alone<safety bull$hit>. So this meant that I would have had to hire someone. The problem was that I could not afford to hire anyone because of all the expense. Example book work, high employment insurance and workers comp rates that I would have had to pay into as an employer. Anyway that was the end of that.
The main reason im a conservative is because conservative governments tend to create an enviroment where the small guy can make a go of it.

Are you really saying Brian Mulroney's goverment hejped small bussiness....you may want to shake your head on that one Roper...The way you talk about things,you claim to be all for the little guy,you really should vote NDP.That is thier mandate and slogan during elections.

Soapweed, and jigs too, you both summed up what being a conservative is all about. You ever notice that when you call someone a liberal they get defensive. Heck, I stand up a little straighter when someone calls me a conservative. :!: I'm proud to be one.

I was not saying life was better in the 40's or 50's. I said morals were probably better.

I was damn serious that liberals could not be elected if some of our clueless voters actually knew what they stood for. Examples-

Raising taxes. The only way liberals can get a tax increase through is to convince the little guy that he can get even with the big guy, by sticking it to the big guy, by raising his taxes. This is with no understanding that when you take money from the big guy, he has less to invest which takes away money and jobs and stimulus to our economy. Liberals like to call this leveling the playing field, but it acutally brings everyone down.

Standing in the way of progress. Soapweed touched on the environmental side of it very well. The do-gooders have practically wrecked the forest industry in the Black Hills with their appeals on logging contracts. This took dollars out of our economy. When will they object to tourists leaving their footprints on the grass, and try to keep them out of the Black Hills next? And how about the added costs we see on most products just because the reguation on industry went WAY past common sense? I could go on forever here.

The liberals fought welfare reform till one of their own (Bill Clinton) tried to take it over as his own, and look what a smashing success it has been. Why old Joe had a tough childhood, so why should he have to go get a job like the rest of us? That is the kind of convoluted thinking you get from a liberal.

I DO listen to Rush Limbaugh from time to time, and the reason I like him is that he makes sense, and he says what I think. HMW asked why conservative talk radio is so successfull and liberal not. That is very simple. Conservative talk radio is uplifting and inspriring. Liberals do not exude those kind of feelings. Look at you gals. Nothing personal, but you are not happy sounding very often. Who in their right mind would want to listen to that every day? I like to enjoy myself, and be a positive thinker. Try it some time, you might become a conservative. :wink: lol. lol. lol. lol. :shock:

Conservatives want people to be responsible for themselves, you get what you earn.

a liberal wants the wealthy to be taxed to death, and give that money to those who would rather lay around home and just get a check in the mail....

the entire platform for the Dems is social class separation, and they do thier best to split the wedge right down between the two side because that is where they get the votes, they NEVER want to fix it, because it is the ONLY way they get elected!

I am by no means wealthy, (hell, I Hardly have enough to be considered poor) I barely get by and I live check to check, hoping harvest will cover the costs, but I know that the big companies must do well, and be unburdened by taxes and regulations so they can prosper, and inturn my product may go up in price.

liberalism is very much like communism, take from the producers to feed the non producers.

Great thread, Tap. And some really great posts. Too bad the resident libs (along with their 'independent') still won't get it.

reader (the Second) said:
Soapweed said:
Conservatives are the "get 'er done" type of people that try to be positive in their outlook and accomplishments. They tend to work hard and try to make the world a better place.

Liberals are mostly obstacles in the path of progress. They lack common sense, and will wreck the economy of several states to preserve a spotted owl that would go on living anyway, with or without the lumber industry. They want to see forest areas become jungles of dead plant growth, which in turn becomes tremendous fire hazards. Liberals try to be "arm-chair" ranchers, and want to tell bona-fide ranchers with lifetimes of experience, how to run their ranches.

Liberals are the bunny-huggers and greenie-weenies who think any animal should have more rights than humans. If a mountain lion gets shot because it killed some little kid, the Liberals get all up in arms for the welfare of the lion, and they don't care a hoot for the poor dead kid. Liberals are for aborting and killing an innocent baby because it is "inconvenient", but will go to extreme measures to protect the life of a known murderer or rapist.

Just today, I was visiting with a lady who works for a local tourist ranch, which is owned and operated by the state game and parks. She said she had really been reamed out and raked over the coals this morning. Some travelers stopped at the ranch, and were plumb disgusted that it had such a dirty dusty gravel road leading to the headquarters. They were mad that some of the ranch-owned herd of Herefords was resting on and along the gravel road, which resulted in "cow poop" getting on their cars' tires. (Did they not realize that no one was holding a gun to their backs "forcing" them to visit the ranch? Ten feet off the black-top, they should have figured out that the next road was dusty dirty gravel, and they could have turned around at any time. Even had they driven for half a mile before encountering the first cow poop upon the trail, they could have still turned around even then.) Instead they drove clear into the visitor's center to issue their complaints to a lady who had nothing to do with establishing the historic ranch. She told them to file their grievances with the State of Nebraska, and then not to complain when their taxes go up to pay for all these "improvements". After listening to my friend's rough day at the office, my comment was, "I'll make you a bet that those tourists voted for Al Gore." And I bet I'd be right if there was a way to find out. :wink: It was sure the typical Liberal attitude that came shining through.

This is just drivel, LB. Most liberals are NOT involved in animal rights. You are describing a group of people who are worried more about animal rights than human rights and are likely very naive. The majority of "liberals" have nothing to do with these movements and you are talking from a very very limited perspective.

For starters, reader (the Second), along with "reading" you might try to improve your "comprehension". This is usually a desirable trait that goes along with reading. It was I (Soapweed) and not LB (Liberty Belle) that wrote what you consider to be drivel.

Liberals are involved in all of these "movements" to which I refer. It just depends on if you think these movements are productive or non-productive, as to whether you consider my evaluations "drivel". I happen to firmly believe that most Liberal movements are of a very non-productive nature.

It's pretty odd how out of touch you are with the rest of the country for smart people. Liberals come in all types, hold views overlapping those of you conservatives often, and aren't automatically pro big spending, anti-family, animal rights activists.
Wanta know what's really odd? What's really odd is that someone like you would even attempt to lecture us on being out of touch with the rest of the country. We ARE the rest of the country. The part of the country that has long been overlooked by you liberal elitists.

You freaking elitists are more than happy to let us provide your food, fiber, forest products and water (hell, you'll just take it if you want it). Yet, you still want to impose your gay rights-style of rotten morals and overwhelming tax burdens on us.

Impose that socialistic, confiscatory tax burden on us so that WE can help you support the cities full of welfare bums that you have fostered, babied and developed over the years. And you are able to do this because you live on top of each other like self-respecting rodents wouldn't even do and you outnumber us at the polls. That's what's really odd. And you're damn right I'm pist about it! :mad:

p****d by the way is the spelling of that word.
I doubt if I need spelling lessons from you. You'll have to admit that your rendition looks pretty silly with all of those ****'s. Nobody has to wonder what I'm talking about when I type 'pist'. :lol:

I let you slide on this earlier, but since you want to be an asshole....before you work on my spelling, go back to math class:

We now have at least three different definitions of a liberal on this thread but I doubt you have noticed:

1. someone who belongs to Sierra Club or PETA

2. a Canadian party

3. someone who is not fiscally conservative

4. someone who doesn't discipline their kids or believe in stable marriage (???)

Of course, you are technically correct. Four is 'at least' three. :p

Wow, I'm stunned at your rebuttal. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, get over it. :lol: I didn't want to touch on the rest of your post because it seems as if you might have the makings of a conservative some day. I didn't want to embarrass you by mentioning that. :wink:

"I am proud to call myself a liberal when it comes to tolerance of others"

Not trying to take out of context, but that is our problem today, "T O L E R A N C E" to allow gays to marry, adopt children? WHO is mom, WHO is dad? What happens when gays divorce and there are screwed up kids involved? To have liberal judges who make assinine decisions based on
t o l e r a n c e to those who commit heinous crimes? There's TOO MUCH tolerance, and our moral values are going down the toilet.

"concern about others who are infirm, old, poor"

So we conservatives are concerned. HOWEVER there are "poor" out there who need to get off their lazy butts and find a job. Period. In the county I live in, WE pay lots in taxes because WE have more people on food stamps in this county than you can shake a stick at (small enough county to know for sure). It sure is easier getting all these "entitlements" than to get off the ol' behind and find a job.

I'll get off my soapbox.

Latest posts