• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Old Time Values

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Yeah, the law in the country can be a real adventure. A lot of buddy buddy stuff and boys will be boys. It is enough to drive you nuts.

We called the fire department out once, gave the correct 911 address and all of that stuff. They went south instead of North, it took them 2 hours to get here and we are all of 4 miles away.. Thank god it wasn't an emergency... They told us next time to refer to it as the old such and such place... The guy who owned the place 50 years ago.

reader (the Second) said:
RoperAB said:
reader (the Second) said:
I believe you about the Mormon polygamists and have seen programs on them pushing th young boys out so get rid of competition. Ugh. Okay, I don't support a state's right to choose their marriage laws...

I am not a great fan of gay marriages, I think they are a bad idea and a distraction. I don't oppose gay partnerships and I believe that people who enter into such a partnership should have some or all of the legal rights that those who can get married do (be a beneficiary on life insurance, be next of kin, be allowed to adopt the child of their partner, share health insurance benefits). I know you think I am condoning and encouraging gay relationships with these opinions but I am simply acknowledging that there are homosexuals born into this world and they deserve human rights and the right to love another person and share their lives. I don't think homosexuality should be celebrated and elevated to a lifestyle that one should encourage but I don't think people should suffer for how they were born or wired. Leave them to their private lives. I have known gay people for many years and judge them by their behavior and contribution to society; many are good people, good citizens, good employers. Some have lifestyles I disapprove of, most do not.

If they want to have a non church union by the government and would not be allowed to adopt children I would not oppose it so much.

About the Mormon sect. They have old guys marrying underage girls against their will. They have old guys have sex with underage boys.
Plus polygamy is just not fair to the wives and children of these marriages. I cant sum this up in a few paragraphs.

Well you and I agree on the Mormons and on the non-church union by the government for gay partners. Obviously it's up to individual churches what they do or don't do, but I don't personally think it's appropriate or even useful for gay people to pressure churches to marry them. Some churches will do so however you know. I don't see it as happening or appropriate in mainstream Christianity or Judaism.

It would be useful for both of us to read studies of children of homosexuals. It's still early but my personal observation is that the children have loving homes and good upbringings for the most part and are much less at risk of being problem adults than most Americans...

This could turn out to be erroneous and there could be issues involved in gender confusion, but I haven't seen this with children of the gay couples I have met.

When I was a kid we used to beat up other kids and call them a fruit if they wore short pants or something other than boots to school.
Now there was exceptions#1 If they were in some kind of sports that required them to wear those types of cloths.
Can you imagine how a young kid is going to get tortured by other kids if they find out he is being raised by two gay guys?
Im not saying its right. Im just saying its the way things are.
Also as a father i provide my kids with different things than their Mother does. I believe that kids need different influences or that a Mother and Father gives a kid a better rounded up bringing.
Its hard to put it in words but only a woman can be a mother and only a man can be a dad. Kids need both.
Why does everything have to be so messed up now a days?
I just wish things could be simple like years ago!
Kids deserve a mother who is a lady and a dad that is a man. Seems a sin that most kids dont even get this now a days. No wonder so many kids are screwed up.

Big Muddy rancher said:
kolanuraven said:
I'm gonna guess and say the Lutheran statement was just a " tee-hee" .
Did that just come to you or did it take the History major in you to figger that one out?
Well history major or not, apparently someone should explain the joke to jigs. :wink:

I support helping those helping themselves..............but not chronic welfare.............
I realize a number of people here won't get this concept (since it won't fit their stereotypes), but it's the rare liberal that would support chronic welfare, too.
Generally speaking, liberals support welfare for exactly this reason:
when a person strives to make themselves and thier life better few really complain..............
it's just that the cutoff point seems to be the part that's debateable. (And BTW, I didn't see any exceptions being made while people rail on about welfare recipients around here. Please correct me if I'm just not seeing it.)

Rural people care about their neighbors.
I'm remembering a thread where this was recently discussed and the conclusion is that many rural people don't even know their neighbors anymore... There were a number of reasons given why that was the case, but that was the conclusion nonetheless.

No wonder so many kids are screwed up.
Since the dawn of time, people have been making the same complaint: Kids these days! From my post on the first page:
Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannise their teachers. --Socrates 469-399 B.C.

BTW, I haven't seen any progress in this thread.

The same folks are still saying people are people and most of us hold very similar values.
(It's not so much values that separate the political spectrum, but rather how those values should be achieved. For example, should they be forced on the general public via legislation, or should they be taught via education or requested voluntarily?)
And there are still the same folks saying their values make them better than other people somehow. But again, it seems to be that desire for division...

I guess I just don't get that.
confused-smiley-013.gif

Children nowadays are tyrants. They contradict their parents, gobble their food and tyrannise their teachers. --Socrates 469-399 B.C

LOLs good point!

About the welfare
The way its currently set up it doesnt really help people.
There is such a stigma to it that im sure that lots of regular people would consider suicide before they would walk into that office and apply for it.
If you humiliate people and take away their self confidence and self worth and thats the way it seems to be set up here then how do you expect these people to get back on their feet?
Lots of stuff happens in life. Injuries, sickness or maybe the husband becomes a drunk and beats the wife and kids and she has to leave. Maybe the husband just dies and leaves the wife with kids to feed.
I want some kind of safety net for people that doesnt rob that person of their dignity to such an extent that they just loose their drive and I think thats what happens to a lot of people.
I have talked about a garanteed minimun income with no strings as a possible solution but nobody liberal or conservative has responded.

I want some kind of safety net for people that doesnt rob that person of their dignity to such an extent that they just loose their drive and I think thats what happens to a lot of people.
I think you're right. Part of why generational welfare is such an abysmal failure, I think. I tend to think people need an occupation of some sort that makes them feel fulfilled and like they're contributing something to those around them. And people who have never felt that don't even realize they're missing it.

I have talked about a garanteed minimun income with no strings as a possible solution but nobody liberal or conservative has responded.
Wouldn't this essentially be a subsidy?

Steve
I support helping those helping themselves..............but not chronic welfare.............
HMW
I realize a number of people here won't get this concept (since it won't fit their stereotypes), but it's the rare liberal that would support chronic welfare, too.
Generally speaking, liberals support welfare for exactly this reason:
Steve
when a person strives to make themselves and thier life better few really complain..............
HMW
it's just that the cutoff point seems to be the part that's debateable. (And BTW, I didn't see any exceptions being made while people rail on about welfare recipients around here. Please correct me if I'm just not seeing it.)

I guess what I have seldom seen is a person on walfare actually bettering themselves.....most just keep expecting someone to fix thier screwed up life, ...

kolanuraven said:
Frankk....you must have great " law" whereever you live. You're lucky!

Out here in the boonies for me....1 call to the sheriff takes 2hrs for them to respond....and when I told them what had happened here on the farm .....AFTER they got done laughing and joking about the " good ol boy" who had done the stealing.....said they knew he was the one all along...refused to take fingerprints and told me to make to make my shot count if he came back!

I to live in a very rural area, was thinking this was an advantage. I have known the county sheriff's over the years very well. This present sheriff and I talk about cattle often, I have never had need of his services but if I had seen or knew of someone stealing and reported this to him it will be taken care of immediately he's on our side.BTW he's a republician.

theHiredMansWife said:
I think you're right. Part of why generational welfare is such an abysmal failure, I think. I tend to think people need an occupation of some sort that makes them feel fulfilled and like they're contributing something to those around them. And people who have never felt that don't even realize they're missing it.

Wouldn't this essentially be a subsidy?

What im talking about is Social Credit. If I remember right his was invented by an English man by the name of Major Douglas years ago.
We have had SC governments in Alberta for years and years from the 30s up until I think the 70s.
They have also tried this in a limited way in New Zealand.
They were a good government in AB but the true principle of SC could never be implicated because the rest of Canada would not vote for them.
One province like Alberta cannot change the banking system or print money. This has to be done by the Federal government.
Really im not sure if it could work or not. Its interesting to think about.
LOLs I cant see anything this radical ever happening anytime soon if ever in North America so its probable a waste of time talking about it. But if your into politics and interested do some Web searches. Key words would be Social Credit, Ernest Manning, Bill Aberhart.
BTW Its not a left wing political thing.

theHiredMansWife said:
apparently someone should explain the joke to jigs. :wink:

got it quite well, but really didn't look that slick in the same breath you spoke of being a Bible school teacher......

kind of like Martin Luther King giving his "I have a Dream " speach at a Klan rally.....

Latest posts