• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Opinions wanted from Hereford outfits

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
I want to crossbreed some angus cows to a Hereford bull using AI. I'd like a good maternal based bull that throws great heifers that will stick around awhile. I know Ned Jr. has a tremendous bull (175) i looked at last year after he posted pictures and info here on Ranchers.net.
I have Select Sires manage my semen tank and wonder what ya'll think about their bulls? I particularly wonder about their new bull Shyenne and here's a link to his page at Select.
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=228

Just wanted to see if ya'll had any recommendations or bulls you don't like and i should stay away from. I really like an Angus/Hereford cross cow. Planning on breeding older cows instead of heifers if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for your 2 cents and don't worry about ticking me off as i am open to all opinions. I just want to pick your brains as ya'll have been in the middle of Herefords and i am just dipping a toe. PM me if that works better for ya. Thanks again. :D

Asked the same question a couple of months ago. And my attention got drawn to Domino 3027 from the ABS catalog, was looking for something from one of the big semen warehouses as I only got 50 units so didn't want to do a lot of shipping around for a small volume. Really like the Maternal, peformance and carcass traits on Domino 3027 and will see what kind of percent take I get on the 50 straws as it should be really easy to pick out the crosses next spring as everything else is angus on angus, seems there are a lot better genetics in the horned herefords vs the polled as the polled seems to have very inconsistent genetics with more extremes and poor balance. I guess I will find out if I have any recessive trait horns in my cattle backgrounds.

leanin' H said:
I want to crossbreed some angus cows to a Hereford bull using AI. I'd like a good maternal based bull that throws great heifers that will stick around awhile. I know Ned Jr. has a tremendous bull (175) i looked at last year after he posted pictures and info here on Ranchers.net.
I have Select Sires manage my semen tank and wonder what ya'll think about their bulls? I particularly wonder about their new bull Shyenne and here's a link to his page at Select.
http://www.selectsiresbeef.com/index.php?option=com_php&Itemid=114&id=228

Just wanted to see if ya'll had any recommendations or bulls you don't like and i should stay away from. I really like an Angus/Hereford cross cow. Planning on breeding older cows instead of heifers if that makes a difference. Thanks in advance for your 2 cents and don't worry about ticking me off as i am open to all opinions. I just want to pick your brains as ya'll have been in the middle of Herefords and i am just dipping a toe. PM me if that works better for ya. Thanks again. :D

Over 400 really smart folks have veiwed this post and only one gave me any advice? :???: Smart people who won't talk are a pain in the butt! :lol: :lol: :lol: PLEASE! Help a poor angus guy find his way through the Hereford wilderness. :wink: :D Thanks!

I will bet there was 399 Angus guys wondering what you would be doing using a Hereford on those Angus cows. Too much in shock to type. :shock: :???: :cry:

Just kidding, I don't want to start a fight. I have ran plenty of good Herefords around home. Just decided that I could keep replacements and not get knocked on the steers if we went Black. I liked my old RWF Simmental x Herefords, but I sure don't regret converting to those Black critters.

Here's a bull we got last year that is sure giving us some nice calves. We bought a maternal brother to him a couple weeks ago.

CL1DOMINO065X1ET.jpg

We have semen avalible on several different bulls. This bull is Homer.

Homer.jpg

Ned Jr., I like the looks of those bulls. Do you have a website? Could you post their registration numbers or pm me with them?

Here's a link to our sires page on our website. http://colemanherefords.com/Sires.html

I'll look forward to hearing from you leanin' H.

Thanks!!!

Excellent stock, as always, Ned Jr. Cattle on the web site are convincing. If I needed a Hereford I would be in your hip pocket immediately. Buuuuut, I go with the blacks!

High Plains said:
Excellent stock, as always, Ned Jr. Cattle on the web site are convincing. If I needed a Hereford I would be in your hip pocket immediately. Buuuuut, I go with the blacks!

Yes, nice looking sires. Lots of volume. Our last Hereford was a L1 Domino breeding from Cutler Herefords in Lacombe, AB. Still lots of his good females running around the place.

Ned Jr. said:
Here's a link to our sires page on our website. http://colemanherefords.com/Sires.html

I looked at your great website too...i love that you have pap tested bulls---there aren't many hereford outfits that pap test up here in WY. We've been talking about gettting a few hereford bulls next year and I really like the looks of yours. Do you sell yearlings or 2 year olds and do you sell any polled?

if you like deep sided, easy fleshing, moderate framed, HEAVY MILKING, PERFECT uddered females you should give our herdsire Dateline a chance.. We calved his first daughters this fall and they are the best we've ever had.. Been in the registered cattle business 60 yrs.. We run Angus, Polled Herefords, and Charolais and he's hands down the best female producer we've seen.
FSTLINE.jpg
[/url]

CandyMeadowFarms said:
if you like deep sided, easy fleshing, moderate framed, HEAVY MILKING, PERFECT uddered females you should give our herdsire Dateline a chance.. We calved his first daughters this fall and they are the best we've ever had.. Been in the registered cattle business 60 yrs.. We run Angus, Polled Herefords, and Charolais and he's hands down the best female producer we've seen.
FSTLINE.jpg
[/url][/quote]

Thanks for the input! I shall do some looking and appreciate the heads up.

Latest posts