• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Our Little Creek

Help Support Ranchers.net:

gcreekrch

Reaction score
Above us a bit there was still a fair bit of snow. Guicon Creek has been high for a week now and today we were cursed/blessed with an inch of rain. Our feeding areas were just starting to dry out and there is no grass to speak of yet.

Guichon Creek west of the house. Most times one long jump is all that is needed to cross.
P5160467.jpg

Side Creek is smaller yet.
P5160468.jpg

Directly in front and south of the house.
P5160469.jpg

Hope our culvert is still there in the morning. Went to Anahim Lake for mail today, another culvert on our road was nearly washed out when we came home. Sounds like Bella Coola is on it's way to flooding again.
P5160470.jpg

Looks like here 3 weeks ago. We go to grass tomorrow I did take 50 heifers and 11 bulls last week. Cow's go tomorrow not quite enough grass but we've got extra so it'll work the yard at the farm is dry and were down to 5 bales of hay so it's time.

What are the rafters for your new Dairy Barn? :wink:

Denny said:
Looks like here 3 weeks ago. We go to grass tomorrow I did take 50 heifers and 11 bulls last week. Cow's go tomorrow not quite enough grass but we've got extra so it'll work the yard at the farm is dry and were down to 5 bales of hay so it's time.

Maybe a loafing shed for the goat. :lol: :lol:

Big Muddy rancher said:
Denny said:

Maybe a loafing shed for the goat. :lol: :lol:

:nod: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Hope you green up and dry out a little! Best build an ark just to stay on the safe side. :wink:

downright balmy up there. What has your high for the spring been so far (temp and or water height)?

Your pictures look like what it looked like here a week ago. It really greened up here in the past few days, even got up past 20C on Sunday.
Rained yesterday and now have a bit of snow on the ground this morning and its cold wet and windy :( . Got a rainfall warning for here today. Forecast also says up to 10 cm of snow for today. I sure hope thats wrong!

Ground is white this morning with big wet flakes blowing sideways past the window. Road is still intact on the driveway. Nothing like the folks along the Mississippi, in Manitoba or the fire victoms at Slave Lake but depressing all the same. :(

Have 10 days feed left, not looking forward to seeing the cattle walk half of it into the mud when we roll it out. :(
To quote Rich Hobson, I guess there's 'Nothing to good for a cowboy.'

It sure has been a long, drawn out approach to spring. We finally got out of the mud, got some corn planted and were feeding hay on dry ground.

But now we have had rain almost every day for 5 days straight and the cows are tramping hay into the ground if we unroll. They also are getting hard to keep in because there is some grass across the fence, but not enough to let them into it. Need a few days of sun and heat.

If you have a little creek, you can get a little boat and a little fishing pole and catch a little fish for the little woman to fry up for a little meal! Little did you realize, I'll bet! :wink: :)

burnt said:
If you have a little creek, you can get a little boat and a little fishing pole and catch a little fish for the little woman to fry up for a little meal! Little did you realize, I'll bet! :wink: :)

Thanks for the smile Burnt. :D

It's not likely I'll take a little time and get a little wet and get a little cold to catch a lttle fish that is full of little bones to fill my not so little belly.

We could have legally turned cows on range yesterday. Fortunately the stackyard still looks better than the grass.
P5160472.jpg

We ordered another load of hay last week, broker just phoned and said the driver was loaded and on his way to unload tommorow morning. Thankfully got the truck stopped at the driver's home in Kamloops until the road dries up a little. Forecast, (if it can be trusted) is for warm and dry for the rest of the week.

I keep reminding myself, ranching is a happy and rewqarding life. :?

how far does your hay have to come?

sure wouldn't want the freight bill :???: :???:

hope you get some warmer weather soon :D

gcreek- after seeing your little creek pics- I had to stop today on the way back from the north place and snap a couple of pics...

Been raining since last night- and have about .8 of new rain-- on top of 2-4" of rain last Mon/Tues-- which was on top of an all time record snowmelt....

This is what every coulee is looking like
100_0072.jpg

This is the "Dry" Fork of Porcupine Creek- really rolling some water
100_0074.jpg

Gcreek, I'm happy you found some hay to buy!
I sure hope some warm weather finds you. It doesn't even
look like March in your area. It's been cold and wet here,
but the grass is :gag: --forget that, I don't want you to
feel worse.

How many days do you think it is til grass?
When do you usually turn out?

Your pictures sure remind me of Sky Ranch. I really don't miss the springs there! I didn't enjoy going to Wms L, seeing the grass green and the leaves out and then home to another month of winter. I do miss late summer and fall though,they were hard to beat.

WHR said:
Your pictures sure remind me of Sky Ranch. I really don't miss the springs there! I didn't enjoy going to Wms L, seeing the grass green and the leaves out and then home to another month of winter. I do miss late summer and fall though,they were hard to beat.

Those spring trips can be depressing all right. By the sounds of things the Fraser benches are dry and slow this year. I talked to Dean at Chilco this evening and they got an inch of rain yesterday. The first precip since March 1. Bronc told me Alkali is as dry as he's ever seen it.

Hayguy and FH, the hay we've gotten this year has mostly come from Alberta. The broker we are dealing with this year has a steel haul over there and hay back. We have turned out a few times on the 16th but most years after the 20th. This year is looking like June 1. Hope it dries out by the weekend so we can at least get the Morrison Meadow herd branded and back down there and scattered some.

OT, if you were to lift the trees here and look underneath the gullies and low spot would likely be the same as there. This time of year I've had horses up to their hocks in mud in the timber. Belly deep in the swamps.

I don't know how much has come down in the past 28 hours but now it has changed to snow. :( Took these photos about an hour ago. I really do think the driveway will wash out this go round. Faster Horses will recognize the locations.

Side Creek at the bridge below the barn.
P5260475.jpg

Confluence of Side Creek and Guichon Creek.
P5260476.jpg

Guichon Creek above the culvert.
P5260477.jpg

P5260478.jpg

Below
P5260479.jpg

P5260480.jpg

Oh my. There will be some remedial work done after that.

There's water standing between the corn rows this morning. But at least I have corn rows. A lot of guys don't.

Latest posts