• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Out the window pictures- sale barn trip

Help Support Ranchers.net:

leanin' H

Reaction score
Loaded five old cull ewes and a couple of hogs this morning about daylight. Finished the other chores and hit the road south and East for Salina Utah, home of Producers livestock auction. It's a good little jaunt of 136 miles so to pass the time on the lonely two track highways I snapped a few pics between mere and there and then there and here in reverse. Town of Levan Utah had the sprinklers going, both wheel lines and pivot systems
A9277710-44B3-451F-B670-8F7D3BECE00E.jpeg
552FD996-EB4B-4BC3-B343-3FCAB23D4343.jpeg

I made it down there and got unloaded an hour prior to the sale starting. Better early then late. They were irrigating the sawdust in the ring but I never saw any seeds sprout.
4C2DE1D5-ED2D-4EE9-880D-43BBC10B28AB.jpeg
They sold approximately a quarter of a million goats today!!! Maybe it only felt that way but goats galore. Took almost two hours though
DB11931F-D01E-4BCE-A78A-15EFD8454BB2.jpeg
My daughter in college came down after class and we hung out. Shoulda took her picture. Finally sold the stock, picked up the checks and got out of there. Headed home I passed Yuba reservoir, or at least the tail feathers of it.
5B3A5306-B595-4DE4-995B-B1F4B56F5C1C.jpeg

Here are several shots of the valleys south of Nephi Utah. Grass is coming finally.
0BCCD0C6-A6DB-41AB-9E87-1E1EFEAB1520.jpeg
F9C5342B-6C40-4AB8-BF51-4624EC4A7B99.jpeg
980B21FC-5103-4C59-8E04-16169C1FDBED.jpeg
CB65D1A1-4E36-455B-B9FC-3F498A36DA14.jpeg

Made the turn west out of Nephi. Back to the desert. Always happy to see My Sheeprock mountains.

516ED25E-64C6-49EB-A895-718BFF2BB27F.jpeg

I sell at Producers Livestock too. Except I use the one in Vale Oregon. It is about half the distance you have to travel. Other than the occasional horse it is nothing but cattle. For me heading the other direction is Intermountain Livestock in La Grande. About the same distance to travel. They sell some goats (less than 20) and sheep. A few horses and then cattle. I have never seen a pig at either sale.

I hope your sold well.

They averaged $260 a head. Had them in fairly good condition.
The sheep, hog and goat sale is the first Monday of each month. They sell cattle every Tuesday.
They don't bring any where close to that here. The cull ewes I have seen at La Grande were around 50-60 cents a pound.

What's crazy were the prices goat were bringing! They sold a bunch over $400 and plenty brought $350!!!! A guy who buys a lot of cattle down there told me they ship them by the semi load to a processor in California.

Y
What's crazy were the prices goat were bringing! They sold a bunch over $400 and plenty brought $350!!!! A guy who buys a lot of cattle down there told me they ship them by the semi load to a processor in California.
You sounded a little excited at those goat prices,
Getting back in the business?😉🤣

Muslims love goats. We sell a goat mineral because the demand for goats has skyrocketed.

I was at the Superior sale in Winnemucca a couple years ago. One guy said he hadn't been paying much attention to cattle prices because he was making so much on his goats.

My next door neighbor's wife decided to raise a bunch of Boer goats. She was doing pretty good until a mountain lion ate about half of them. That put her out of the goat business.

Have any of you read the Elmer Kelton book, "The Time it never rained"? It should be required reading in school.
He talks about a ranch trying to survive with first cattle and then goats in that book. It's a great read and an all-time favorite of mine.
People here tell me that Elmer lived here in Durkee for a time. That book might be about my neighborhood.

In the book he talks about the government helping out ranchers and what a fiasco it is, but that is just a small part of the book. Actually, this has made me want to read it again. I really like Elmer Kelton's writing. "The Good Ole Boys", "The Day the cowboys quit", "The pumpkin rollers:. He wrote a lot of books, many of which I have not read.

I Like Elmer. Great writer and I love how his books follow history with fictional characters. Plus the good guy doesn't always win like some authors. I read a dozen or so each winter when the nights are long and I have a little time.

I Like Elmer. Great writer and I love how his books follow history with fictional characters. Plus the good guy doesn't always win like some authors. I read a dozen or so each winter when the nights are long and I have a little time.
Have you read any of Forrest Carters's books? He didn't write many and I own them all. They are all EXCELLENT. Fiction based on fact. He was story-teller-in-chief to the Cherokee Nation.

*The Education of Little Tree (Good for kids to read and as an adult I loved this book. It is how I became aware of Forrest Carter, author. This is the story of him growing up with his Cherokee grandparents and how he was taught THE WAY)
*Josey Wales
*The Vengeance Trail of Josey Wales
*Gone to Texas
*Watch for me on the Mountain (A novel of Geronimo and the Apache Nation)

I have this, 2 books in one:

Latest posts