• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

padre

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Canadian_Cowgirl

Reaction score
hey everyone!!

I'm finally back online, weither you like it or not. hehe :lol: :lol:

I went out and bought myself a horse, the lady who sold me him said he had swelling in the hock, so she couldnt use him for reining anymore, but i personaly cant see anything wrong, and either can mom so i dont know if he had hurt it and it was swollen for a day or so when she got it checked out, she figured it was ringbone, but its not swollen now. which is good, he runs in the pasture alot and it doesnt seem to bother him or get swollen so i'm not to worried.

He is a sweetheart, but needs work, mostly riding but without a round pen to work him in its kinda hard, i lunge him but he gets out to far and pulls and then i have to pull him back closer and he thinks that mean i want him to come in, so its frustrating but were workin on it. lol

heres a couple pictures of him!

hes 4 years old and about 15hh he is registered but i have to call the seller again, to try to get them. its not a really big deal but if i want to show him later down the road most shows want papers.

IMG_74211.jpg

IMG_74321-1.jpg

IMG_74181.jpg

tell me what you think!

Katy

He looks pretty nice. Your country looks green as well. :D

Just a tip when you tie your halter bring it up a bit tighter and when you tie it start your rope around the other way so the tail points back and not in his eye. :)

Good luck be careful and keep us posted on how your making out riding him. :D

thanks, BMR!

I had only put that halter on for a quick minute, I use a weaver webbed one actually. but thanks, for the tip i'll remember that.

Yeah the koshia sure holds the green, lol they are combinging peas and lentils out here right now!

Katy

Canadian_Cowgirl said:
thanks, BMR!

I had only put that halter on for a quick minute, I use a weaver webbed one actually. but thanks, for the tip i'll remember that.

Yeah the koshia sure holds the green, lol they are combinging peas and lentils out here right now!

Katy

All we use are those tied halters. I really like them but they are never turned out with a halter on. They should be combining here and maybe they were today.

Nice looking horse!

BMR is right. And for lounging, you'd do better with a tied
halter. Do you ever watch Clinton Anderson? He HATES those
web halters. Horses get really dull and disrespectful with them. FWIW...

Glad to have you back!
Keep us posted.

I really do like your horse!

thanks FH,

I have always used web halters, that tie one is bent so no matter which way you put it on it pointes to his eye, and it always slips and gets loose thats one of the reasons i used the web on him. i can never seem to get it tight enough around his head. Maybe i tie it wrong. When i was using the tie one he'd think he could get away with alot more, because when i'm lounging him he would throw is head, with the web he seems to listens more. I dont think he has ever had a tie one on him until i put that one on. I think he was trained with a web one, but i have no clue.

Katy

Nice colt Katy. A little time in a pasture just being a horse will more than likely solve his leg problems. My opinion is show people tend to push young horses a little too far and a little too soon.

Katy when you tie the halter bring the tail down thru the loop and and start around the back end of the loop bring it around the front and and towards the back under it's self. Look like you tied it right except you went around the loop the wrong way. :D

thanks, Gcreekrch, yeah she got him as a colt and started reining with him as a two yr old. mom also figures hes not "pretty" nuff for them reiners, as they like a almost dish face i think he is a very handsome boy! so I think its her loss!!

Ok, BMR I'll try that!

When i get my round ring constructed, should i keep lounging him or just round pen work him off line? Which have ya'll done and which works best?

Katy

lol hes broke, just really really green. I got half on him and ended up on the ground, but i stayed on for more then 8 seconds with him buckin hard, and i only had one foot in the sturrips!! lol i think i did well. then i rode him around for a bit, but he likes to hop, and after a while it gets sore, i could barely walk after. lol

hes good after you work him for about an hour so hes sacked right out. lol

Canadian_Cowgirl said:
hes good after you work him for about an hour so hes sacked right out. lol

That's called stealing a ride and I'd be careful about that. Trouble is the more you do it the better shape he gets in and the longer it takes to get him 'sacked out right'. At least that's my thoughts on it for what it's worth.
That's a fine looking horse, sure hope he works out for you.

You be careful. And if you can't get on him, you should work him in
the round pen. Get some videos and learn how to do it correctly.
You'll have fun and he'll be the better horse for it.

Don't get hurt and you should not be trying to get on him
til he STANDS STILL. He can learn that, so can you. It's the
basics of RESPECT and until he respects you don't ride him.

Take care.

He's got a great hip and he looks like he'd be smooth, although I'm not crazy about his head. Kinda long-faced and narrow for my liking, but of course, I'm really being picky now. It's a small point for a pleasure horse. Best of luck with him.

thanks everyone.

Silver, if i dont work him before i get on he will be all full of piss and vinegar, and that won't be to safe for me, to jump on.

FH, I am careful, I have watched a few videos, and did roundpen work in 4-h. im not gunna say im a pro at it as i have more to learn, but i've dabbled in it enough that i feel confident to work with him.

Katy

there' s alot of good horsemen in sk I should know I lived there ha , ha, don't be afraid to ask , and always watch there's always something to be learned good or bad 'or just go down to bmr's place after all them miles something should be worked out .

little bow rancher said:
there' s alot of good horsemen in sk I should know I lived there ha , ha, don't be afraid to ask , and always watch there's always something to be learned good or bad 'or just go down to bmr's place after all them miles something should be worked out .

It's probably a toss if she's close to my place or yours. :D

Just addin my 2 1/2C. Don't put all your hope/faith in working him in the round pen, 1 of 2 things generally happen 1 you become the boss IN the round pen but if you are in there to long hes gunna try option B when you go out. 2 He gets bored, confused, or sour all of which lead towards a horse learning to resist and argue rather than look to you as a leader.
If they had hopes of going to the show pen with him he may of been on a high feed ration 30-45 days of grass or grass hay might make a world of difference. If I cant work with one on self feed of grass hay and water I generally don't waste my time however oats etc. will cause nothing but grief until his training and respect/response level is to the point he needs more stamina, oomph, and energy to put into maneuver's his brain and body are well practiced at.
Nobody wants you to go to whippin on old fluffy but... on the lounge line if he will not follow a draw or move off from a push in a relaxed manner he will be hard to ride for those very same 2 reasons. If he has been rode any amount at all trotting a 30ft circle on the lounge line is not above his knowledge level it is a simple matter of if he does not trust you he will instinctively test you. Firmness and absolute consistency will take you forward, anxiety,frustration,anger or lack of confidence will take you backwards. The small circles and sidetracking movements you are going to have to ask him to make and depending on his over reactions at times as you work on getting forward motion with softness and control will obviously put allot of strain on his hocks, at the first sign of trouble (if you really like him) I would turn him out and try again next year, in the past I have had several geldings (mares not so much?) with hock troubles in their 4th to 6th year of age that would give trouble every time you worked to hard, in all 3 cases a year turn out seemed to be the cure.

He gets bored, confused, or sour all of which lead towards a horse learning to resist and argue rather than look to you as a leader.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Good point, Bruce. I've seen it happen.

And the hock deal, lots of horses in the south have that problem
at 4-6 years of age and they wind up having to inject them to
use them in competition.

Hard to help someone on a computer. I'd like her to get some
one-on-one help with him. At least right now.

FWIW

Latest posts