• If you are having problems logging in please use the Contact Us in the lower right hand corner of the forum page for assistance.

Painting a pipe fence?

Help Support Ranchers.net:

Trinity man

Reaction score
The wife and I are trying to find some paint to paint the pipe fence I builded in front of our house. But we don't know what kind of paint to use. I have been looking at the Rustoleum Hammered paint, but just don't know much about it. Dose anyone have any ideas on what kind of paints are out there today.

use a commercial rust converter first, and then rustolium should work well but the hammered spray will eat up alot of cans...

There's a ranch just outside of town here that has miles and miles (so it seems) of pipe fence. They use car wash mits and a 5 gallon bucket of paint..walk along slatherin it on ever few years. But I have no idea what kinda paint it is.

Our pipe/steel companies sell pipe fence paint in five gallon buckets.
Its best to use dark colors to help cover rust spots. A fence painter told me to use CLR White for White Fences. CLR Calcium, Lime, Rust inhibitor.

I use milker gloves and a cotton glove over that to apply the paint. Get alo of people involved to paint and make it fun.

Hay Feeder said:
Our pipe/steel companies sell pipe fence paint in five gallon buckets.
Its best to use dark colors to help cover rust spots. A fence painter told me to use CLR White for White Fences. CLR Calcium, Lime, Rust inhibitor.

I use milker gloves and a cotton glove over that to apply the paint. Get alo of people involved to paint and make it fun.

5 gallons of paint a gallon of whiskey and a few good buddies can get a lot of paint slathered on in a day's time! :lol: :lol:

They use car wash mits and a 5 gallon bucket of paint.

that sounds like it would work well, we used a thick self feed roller and a sprayer.. and it went fairly quickly but we only had about 400 ft..

and the cold keg of beer paid for it self... :)

Trinity man said:
The wife and I are trying to find some paint to paint the pipe fence I builded in front of our house. But we don't know what kind of paint to use. I have been looking at the Rustoleum Hammered paint, but just don't know much about it. Dose anyone have any ideas on what kind of paints are out there today.

One time I had alot of pipe pens to paint,I used the cheapest paint I could find and thinned it with paint thinner,then bought a cheap 2 gallon pump up sprayer'
good luck

Change your farm colors to brown. Voila!!! Done painting... :lol:

HAY MAKER said:
Trinity man said:

One time I had alot of pipe pens to paint,I used the cheapest paint I could find and thinned it with paint thinner,then bought a cheap 2 gallon pump up sprayer'
good luck

Key word here is Haymaker is "Cheap". :wink:

Big Muddy rancher said:
HAY MAKER said:
Trinity man said:

good luck

Key word here is Haymaker is "Cheap". :wink:

I always said you aint ever had much sense,that aint cheap its smart why would you wanna spend more money than necessary to keep rust to a minimum
Damned cows are just gonna squirt on it anyway.
Good luck

I would never paint steel corrals. Just my opinion. I am not fond of painting and the rust colored pipe doesn't look bad if none of it is painted. On the other hand there is nothing worse than a set of corrals that have been painted and the rust starts to show. Then you just have an eye sore that needs repainted every couple of years.

flyingS said:
I would never paint steel corrals. Just my opinion. I am not fond of painting and the rust colored pipe doesn't look bad if none of it is painted. On the other hand there is nothing worse than a set of corrals that have been painted and the rust starts to show. Then you just have an eye sore that needs repainted every couple of years.

I agree unfortunately some ole women don't agree,I had a partner deal worked out with her for some pasture,was part of the deal to keep the fences and pens up to her approval :mad:
good luck

HAY MAKER said:
flyingS said:

I agree unfortunately some ole women don't agree,I had a partner deal worked out with her for some pasture,was part of the deal to keep the fences and pens up to her approval :mad:
good luck

No Bohunk blood in you guys' veins, eh?

Steve said:
use a commercial rust converter first, and then rustolium should work well but the hammered spray will eat up alot of cans...

That's great advice! It'll save a whole bunch of repainting later on. The paint glove/mit is the fastest way to apply it. They can be found at most hardware stores that sell paint supplies.

Latest posts